Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area, CA to Portland, OR in an s60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. contemplating using the model s60 for a road trip to Portland this summer from San Jose, CA.
from the supercharger map it looks doable, but there is one spot that i recall to be very mountainous and i wonder if there is risk of not making it supercharger to supercharger at that point.

will be a fairly straightforward trip of just up and donw I-5, no real deviation for touristy things. Oopen to stopping quite frequently and may not even try to do it all in one day.

anyone done it? anything to worry about? can be done with S/C only or are there spots that require public chargers to fill in the gaps?

thanks,
Jeff

Doubt the weight matters much, it is the speed you go that matters. Keep to the speed limit and should be fine, I think. Be sure to keep in mind the elevation changes!

Did a similar trip in Feb with our P85 (Sacramento to just past Portland) and the wind + rain made some of the hops a bit sketchy. Averaged ~470 kw/m for one portion. But the estimates were good (except for elevation) so no worries.

I liked the brewpub stop near Eugene! The Grants Pass supercharger is a bit behind the Black Bear Diner, so was hard to find at first.

Last edited:
Ok, here are my tips.

Background: On the 12th of July we did a trip from Vancouver BC, to Palo Alto in 21 hours with charging stops. We returned from LA (yes, we ended up there) via the 405 today (28th of July)
Car: modelS 60
Passengers: 2 and a bit of cargo
Sleeping: Yes, we slept in our car at the SC's lol

Interesting note: we went from SF City down the #1 all the way to Atascadero Supercharger then back out to the coast #1 all the way to Buellton Supercharger and across to Hawthorn.

Another Interesting note: we went from Harris Ranch to Vacaville on a single charge :)

Tips:

1. Leave with more than enough charge.
2. If you're close (like when we left from Harris to Vacaville), try to make up your charge early in the trip. One way to do this (especially if you have a wicked headwind), is to drive, not draft, behind a semi. It will take a while but you'll slowly gain miles.
3. Drive like a roller coaster / semi - it's ok to let your speed dip a little going up a hill to keep your energy usage low... accelerate down the other side, BUT, don't bother going much more than 10MPH over the limit cause a) don't lose that semi, b) you'll start to get into wind resistance issues that hurt your range any ways. By accelerating down the other side, just a result of gravity not increased energy usage, you'll make up the time you slowed down up the front side. On hilly roads this helps even out the ups and downs.
4. You're better to drive the semi/towing speed limit on the main highways while you make up your energy requirements.
5. YOU CAN"T MAKE UP RANGE AT THE END
6. anticipate slowdowns and gradually let your regen increase, you don't want to come to a complete stop, you're just trying to match traffic and hopefully time it so when they start moving you'll have not come to a stop
7. additional weight in the car really doesn't make that big of a difference.
8. plan ahead on your charger route. An example of this is... on our way through Washington, there is a stop where we only needed an extra 40 miles to go from one SC to another (because we arrived with so much remaining charge), I figured if I spent the time to get the extra bit of charge, I could drive 1.5 hours to the next charger, then charge 15 minutes, then drive 2.5 ours to the following one. From that one I could stop 45 and finally make the border essentially skipping out the middle charger. AND i was charging at max charge rates while at the second and third charger in that row.

I ran into many many people who hadn't let their cars go below 40miles range. We were down at 0 at one point and down to 9 another time. If you're within 3-4 miles of your destination when this happens you'll MOST LIKELY be ok... obviously this isn't the goal.

I'll post more as my brain recovers from sleeping in the car for 3 days lol

My suspicion is that sleepy nleggatt meant June.

Either that or he has a working flux capacitor...

Can you tell me me more about the Harris to Vacaville stretch? Anyone done the reverse in a 60? If it's feasible, it might be an option when we return to AZ from BC later this summer. I'm going to go fiddle with EV trip planner now...

Edit... Just played with EV Trip Planner...

Going from Vacaville to Harris Ranch direct saves about 30 minutes of driving, but I'd have to range charge in Vacaville, which adds 30 or so extra minutes charging vs going through Gilroy and stopping for a charge in between. So its basically a wash time wise. Since the direct to Harris from Vacaville would requiring driving at .86 speed factor (which is ~60 in a 70 zone), it leaves very little for reserve (shows 186 rated miles needed)...

Last edited: