Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Photosync tint on your Model S windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to install Photosync on my MS85 next week. My plan was 55 on the back hatch and back windows, 65 on front windows, and 75 on windshield. I live in CA and am aware of the state laws on tinting. I would appreciate understanding if anyone would share their experience with Photosync 75 on the windshield. Is your view still crystal clear, is there any distortion, or effects when wearing polarized sun glasses? Would you not do it again, if you had the choice? Thanks for your feedback. I live in Monterey and am using Transparent Glass Coatings in Soquel, CA to do the installation after discussion with Viet Tran at Prestiege Film Coatings.

I have 75% Photosync on my front windshield and pano roof, as well as 35% on all side windows and rear window. The view out of the front windshield is still crystal clear with no issues whatsoever. There is no distortion or effects wearing polarized sunglasses (I wear them also). I would do it again in a heartbeat. The BEST installers of this film and the pioneers are Premier Protective Films in Fremont, CA. If you want to see mine, I live in Las Vegas if you are ever visiting, and I'll be in LA for the next 8-9 days if you are going to be there for any reason and want to see it in person. I can also send you pictures if you want as well.

Hussain, thank you very much for the information. I appreciate your offers, unfortunately I won't be in L.A. or Las Vegas. Thanks for sharing your experience. Regards, Roger

I have 75% Photosync on my front windshield and pano roof, as well as 35% on all side windows and rear window. The view out of the front windshield is still crystal clear with no issues whatsoever. There is no distortion or effects wearing polarized sunglasses (I wear them also). I would do it again in a heartbeat. The BEST installers of this film and the pioneers are Premier Protective Films in Fremont, CA. If you want to see mine, I live in Las Vegas if you are ever visiting, and I'll be in LA for the next 8-9 days if you are going to be there for any reason and want to see it in person. I can also send you pictures if you want as well.

There absolutely are rainbow effects when wearing polarized glasses and looking through the Photosync. If you don't see rainbow effects, you either aren't wearing polarized lenses or don't have real Photosync installed. In my case, the rainbows are not objectionable but they do exist.

There absolutely are rainbow effects when wearing polarized glasses and looking through the Photosync. If you don't see rainbow effects, you either aren't wearing polarized lenses or don't have real Photosync installed. In my case, the rainbows are not objectionable but they do exist.

AmpedRealtor is the rainbow effect the same through all tint levels including 75 on the windshield? Thanks for your response.

I have photosync 75 on my windshield done by Premier in Fremont. You can catch a faint rainbow effect even without polarized glasses. Also you will notice a slight orange peel texture. None of this would deter me from doing it again tho.

AmpedRealtor is the rainbow effect the same through all tint levels including 75 on the windshield? Thanks for your response.

The rainbow is reduced, but still visible. It's more visible on the darker tints due to higher contrast. My installer recommended going with 3M Crystalline on the windshield because its rainbow effect is not as pronounced. I still see it, however. You may find it startling if you aren't forewarned. For instance, black asphalt can turn pink when you least expect it. It's kind of like driving on LSD... LOL!

I have Photosync 75 on my front windshield and notice a mild rainbow effect on the windshield with polarized sunglasses. It's not too bad, but it does beat back the heat pretty well. The film is thicker than the other films and the Model S windshield has a tougher, larger, and more curved glass than many other windshields requiring proper heat treatment to conform to the glass. I had a newly-authorized tint dealer apply mine and have already had it replaced a few times due to application problems. Had I had a second chance, I probably would've paid extra to go to Premier since they've already done a few hundred Model S's already.

Lesson: Ask your tint dealer how many times they've applied Photosync (so you know they have some experience with the film) and ask them how many times they've applied it to a Model S.

another +1 for Premiere in Fremont...

75/55/45/35

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

75/35/35/35

photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

rainbows on the front windshield towards the top and bottom of the glass where the curvature is the most. Nothing in direct line of sight. Would do it again!

I went with 75 on the front, and 45 on all the others using Photosync. Total cost was $1350. If I did it again, I'd go slightly darker on the side windows.

I can't see the 75 on the front (and in fact I was at first concerned it wasn't really installed). The installer said there would be a slight waviness at the bottom (due to the actual windshield installed by Tesla) and he pointed it out before installing the Photosync.

Overall I like, I don't know if worth $1350 for all including pano.. but it's done.

I started this thread and want to thank those who responded. Last Wednesday I had Photosync installed around the car. This included 75 on the windshield, 65 on the side windows, 55 on the rear hatch and sunroof. With polarized sunglasses on I absolutely see a rainbow effect through the windshield. Mostly in the sky or reflected on the asphalt as described by AmpedRealtor. It also depends on where the sun is relative to the windshield. I don't notice it looking through any of the other windows, so I think it has something to do with the slope of the windshield. I have noticed a heat reduction and reduced fan level on auto settings staying at level 5 with temp set at 68 degrees on a 90 degree day in San Jose, CA. Without polarized glasses on I can see a very faint rainbow effect, but it is so far reduced I don't think you would notice it if you weren't specifically looking for it.

Got PhotoSync installed on our S and could not be happier. I'm a details guy and yes there is some hint of tint on the front but the temp makes it well worth it. The black dash, even in SoFla heat, is touchable when car has been sitting. Our other vehicles will fry an egg.

One of the guys at our installer said it well: If you look for it, you'll see it. Otherwise, it is not a big deal. I'm thrilled and now hate riding in non-PhotoSync'd cars in the heat. :)

Another proponent of photosynch. 18 months after and still really happy with it. Had it installed to both P85+s. On the windshield I didn't notice the rainbow until some here mentioned it. But it is if I am actively looking for it. Looking straight through it with my polarized glasses, I do not notice it at all. I'd do it again in a heartbeat for the comfort of driving without blasting my aircon.

That's awesome. I've had mine for 12 months, 17k miles. Love it. Can't say enough about it. I had to get the shop to stock the tint, as no one in Vegas did at the time, so happy I did and now the entire LV Tesla community has an option too.