Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please give me your suggestions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

danny

TMCing Since 2006
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006
California
Referral Code
Thank you all for making such a great contribution to the website(a side from the spammers)
I would like to let you know that I am sorry that this site has not been updated very well in the past few months.
I have been out of the US for a quite a few months. When I return I will try my best to fix up the picture section, cosmetics,
and some other issues. I need your feedback and suggestions however.
I would like to keep this site semi-democratic in that you will help determine what it is like.
First off I would like to at some point put up advertisements of some sort to help pay for the upkeep of the site and the people that have helped put this together. I am not very good at website building and forum managing so I have had to recruit help for this. Please let me know if this is a problem for you....
Also I would like to know if you are satisfied with SMF as apposed to other forums such as the most commonly used forum for car websites, v-bulletin.
For example one thing i plan to add to the SMF is an optional "location" description next to your avatar, this will allow users to know where their fellow members are from. I am open to any suggestions, and thank you so much for your patience.
Greenspeed

Oof. Advertising supported? I was afraid of that.

Please limit how prominent the adverts are.
Be selective as to who can advertise.
No pop-up ads.
No ads that cover other content.
No ads for things that come as spam.

I have not made up my mind completely about advertisements so I will consider your thoughts very carefully.
If advertisements are a huge problem for people, I can consider not bothering with it, but I kind of need the money to improve the site with.
If I do decide to put up advertisements, I will try to put up ones that are relevant, unobtrusive, aesthetically pleasing and limited in amount. Perhaps a banner down the side or the top would be enough or even maybe just one on the welcome page and not on the forum. I donno, i haven't thought it through yet and I plan to get some advise from someone who has done this before. Hopefully i can avoid using google adds.\
Thanks for the feedback
greenspeed

Maybe you could implement semi-automatic deletition of posts in Off-Topic section?

Put there a button "Vote for deletition" that is seen only by credible members (based on star-rating).
When some limit is reached (maybe 5 votes?) that post is deleted.

I generally do not oppose advertising, as long as it is not obtrusive and does not degrade the site "experience". Which may be troublsome as this forum is very directly Tesla Motors oriented. The only advertisement thay would fit in would be for Tesla Roadster, Tesla merchantises and such. But that we alreade have ;D

Is it possible to make the level of advertisement received configurable; e.g., leave it up to each individual on how much they might be affected by advertisements? Would this allow advertisements to be provided and you could then track which advertisements were viewed/followed by the club members?

Not adverse to Ads.

Maybe when Tesla finally gets around to selling swag, those ads would be welcomed. I liked the unobtrusive sidebar idea.

As for suggestions, there are many pictures that I cannot see. And often they won't show up on the "last 10 posts" page but sometimes do work on that corresponding subject page. I was once surprised to find that there were images with Posts that I did not know about until I went to that subject page.

There are some forums that I participate in which just have a "donation" button set up to accept Paypal, which seems to work. I'll throw some dollars in every once in a while. I don't have any problem with advertisers, as you have done a really great service here. I'd like to think Tesla appreciates it as well.

Dave

Another suggestion: we have over 1100 registered users but only a few dozen active users or even human users. Maybe you could add automatic expiration period for first post. If a newly registered user does not post in one week his account gets deleted.

This is a really good site. At times, I prefer it over the Tesla site because we can have some dialogue with less formality and the knowledge sharing is more specific.

Take heed. When roadster hits the streets traffic may go up on this site. Just a guess, but when WhiteStar is introduced and is on the streets there may be more traffic to this site.

That will be a good time to get a few more advertisers ;D

Not adverse to ADs as long as they don't obstruct the reading.

WarpedOne. I disagree with auto deletion. I am fiirly new to this site and appreciate the discussion between those with more knowledge and information than I and I don't feel it is necessary to post unless I have something worth contributing. I have also been without internet access on occasion and a 5-day lull in posting would have had me removed! :(

WarpedOne said:
Another suggestion: we have over 1100 registered users but only a few dozen active users or even human users. Maybe you could add automatic expiration period for first post. If a newly registered user does not post in one week his account gets deleted.

I agree with JFH, I'm sure there are people in here that can add to the discussion when necessary. I don't see why the number of posts should matter. It's the content that matters. I would rather see people with 1 post that is content heavy than have people posting a lot of "I agree..." or child-like posts of "that sucks" or any other like comments.

I love it that this forum has something to add on EACH post without having to the need skip posts to find the next relevant one.

As for ADs, you can have it on the top of each topic. Such as battery companies can post in the batteries section. Plus it'd help the site if someone works in the industry and can say something about the subject. I doubt they will divulge company secrets, but it's nice when you have a "professional" answering questions. Also adds to credibility of the site.

It's not that people in here are not knowledgeable, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had someone ask a question only to be ignored and go to the "professional" even though his/her answer is the same.

I also agree to the voting system. I believe it'll help the moderators as the site grows. But I still believe the final decision for deletion should be made by a moderator. So the voting system could flag that topic for review from a moderator.