Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait 3 more months for 2015 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand Model S's don't have year numbers on them, but people still look for them when it comes time to resell them.

If I pre-order now, I get a 2014 Model S in October.

Should I just wait 3 more months and get the 2015 Model S delivered in January 2015?

Do you want to wait an extra 12 months to get your $7500 tax rebate? That's the biggest reason to push for delivery before the end of the year. Frankly, you could probably make a lot more investing that for an extra 12 months than you would make in increased resale value.

If I had waited three months I would have gotten the folding mirrors. If you can stand the wait, you'll get a better car three months from now, very possibly. Of course if you can wait 3 years, you'll probably get a car with a range of 400 miles. Or 15k cheaper for the same car. Or both. We're all still "early adopters" and paying a heavy price for it. I think waiting 3 months is reasonable. More than that, may as well wait for the next breakthrough in battery tech (hopefully coming in the next three years).

Thanks everyone for the inputs!

I know a Nissan Leaf can't be compared, but
2011 Leaf SL with 10k miles - $14313
2012 Leaf SL with 10k miles - $15761

Slightly over 10% difference even at same mileage.

I think it makes sense to wait an extra 3 months and have the government hold my $7500-$10k for another year to possibly save another $3000-4000 (assuming I'd sell the Model S 5 years from now at around $30000-40000.

at the same time, it's hard to put a value on not being able to have a Tesla S for another 3 months. that price is different for everyone.

Thanks everyone for the inputs!

I know a Nissan Leaf can't be compared, but
2011 Leaf SL with 10k miles - $14313
2012 Leaf SL with 10k miles - $15761

Slightly over 10% difference even at same mileage.

I think it makes sense to wait an extra 3 months and have the government hold my $7500-$10k for another year to possibly save another $3000-4000 (assuming I'd sell the Model S 5 years from now at around $30000-40000.

at the same time, it's hard to put a value on not being able to have a Tesla S for another 3 months. that price is different for everyone.
A lot of conjecture in that $3-4K 5 years from now.

Personally, I'd do it now. Suppose the Senate flips in November and the new majority does away with all green incentives? You could be out $7500 right off the bat. Also, California is already lowering the rebate to $2K. No telling what they might do next year.

I am the unofficial CIO/CTO of my radiology practice/group. I constantly get asked: What is the best (smartphone, computer, camera) to buy?". My standard answer is: next year's model. Whatever item you buy today that has anything to do with technology will likely be better/faster/cheaper next year. When they stop whining, I just tell them to freeze the technology and enjoy/appreciate what they have.

I agree with OP and have decided to hold off as well. Having a 2015 will help resale because many people are stuck on the old way of doing things. The tech upgrades are continuous, but it is know they are working on the front seats and potentially a LWB version. And there are so many other competitive features missing, that a bit of a wait isn't going to kill anyone (adaptive cruise control, night vision, HUD, etc.).

I don't know why anyone would look at the "model year" when reselling a Model S, when Tesla doesn't use model years. If anyone looks at a number at all, it would be the VIN.

People tend to look at KBB to agree on an used price of a car.
KBB's first question is what year your car is.
Even if it's a Tesla

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with OP and have decided to hold off as well. Having a 2015 will help resale because many people are stuck on the old way of doing things. The tech upgrades are continuous, but it is know they are working on the front seats and potentially a LWB version. And there are so many other competitive features missing, that a bit of a wait isn't going to kill anyone (adaptive cruise control, night vision, HUD, etc.).

Right, I can't speak for extra features that might be put in.

Normally, it's worth getting an older year model at the dealership because you get a heavy discount and the new "2015" model coming would be full MSRP.

However, Tesla is always MSRP, so just wait out the 3 more months to get more on your resale.

There is no guaranty that the $7500 tax credit will be there in 2015. What the government gives it can easily take away. Resale will always be better if you wait for next year, but following that logic you would never buy anything

Wouldn't a 2015 be when it was manufactured not delivered? You might have to wait longer than 3 months then. No sure it is worth waiting but if you aren't in a hurry then it can't hurt. Maybe a new feature will sneak in there.

Tesla is always adding features, both from a new buyer perspective, and a used car buyers perspective, it makes sense to wait for a specific feature, but not for a specific year. (for example, a person looking for a used Tesla may want parking sensors, and would have to wait for a car new enough to have them, for a new car buyer it's harder because they may announce what's coming, but you never really know when...)