Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far north can I go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S'ers,

been working on a plan to see if I can make it to Fairbanks from California. Actually just before going north, I'll be coming back from Phoenix (wife's medical conference) so I thought I'd touch Mexican soil before heading north.

Seems to be possible on paper. Of course it's pretty easy up to vancouver. Looking at taking 97 to 1 to get from there to Alaska. I know the highly experienced Audubon tried and didn't make it, but I couldn't figure out the route, or where the route failed. Any comments or suggestions (other than you're nuts - a given) on the route, or suggestions on where to stop on the way? I've got an 85. I'm making a separate thread for what to bring along on trip that takes you through the Yukon - you know diesel generators etc.

Guy

I drove my rv up there a couple of years ago and had no problem finding rv parks to stay in. I didn't need their 50A service so don't know how many had that service. I suggest you plan a route and then look on "http://www.goodsamcamping.com/" for campgrounds that do have electrical service for you.

I drove my rv up there a couple of years ago and had no problem finding rv parks to stay in. I didn't need their 50A service so don't know how many had that service. I suggest you plan a route and then look on "http://www.goodsamcamping.com/" for campgrounds that do have electrical service for you.
My target stops are (in this order I think)

• Super chargers
  • Level 2 chargers with high amps
  • Tesla friends with hpwc's
  • RV parks with 50amp 220v service
  • Welding shops, etc with 50amp 220v service
  • Level 2 chargers with 40 amp service
  • RV parks with 30amp 110v service
  • Anywhere with 20 amp service
  • Anywhere with 15 amp service and booze

Google is a big help. Especially their street view capabilities. I'll see a town along the highway any walk along the streets checking the businesses, and if something looks interesting, I'll call them up. I can get good idea of the different over night options, though I feel I'm traveling via the Web slower than

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Guy

Last edited:
... and a Tesla-compatible receptacle.

- - - Updated - - -

... and maybe a pillow and a blanket. It takes over 2 days to fill an empty 85 kWh battery from 110V/12A.
I don't think I can bring enough wine to get me to do that. but I've heard worse. I got one suggestion that I bring a 12V inverter to take the utility plug from another car and charge from it. That might give you 1 mile per charging hour. The rational is that you may only need one more mile to get to an electrical oasis with rivers of 240V/50A. Well I'm not so sure about his approach for 12v, but it's how i see the 110v/12A option.

My experiences with 110V charging:
1. First two weeks with my car when I didn't have another option (electrician hadn't come by yet). "Now I understand range anxiety."
2. Shell station in Cle Elum. Tried to sleep for about 3 hours in the car, in the cold. Bad things resulted after I got impatient and left for Ellensburg.
3. Charging when visiting family in their garage for about a day. Had just enough to comfortably get back to the supercharger (Yay!).

Hopefully I'll never have to do it again, ever.