Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center refuses to change tires due to bad alignment - Resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all
My car is showing cords on both rear PS2s
Plenty of thread left and only 3K driven
SC identified that bad alignment caused the issue, but making me pay for the tires
They claim reasoning is that I personally swapped my winter wheels 3 months ago
Have they done this at SC, it would have been caught earlier by examining winter tires, etc

I'm really upset the way i got treated
$1,000 from my family budget just to the drain...

Any help is appreciated

What caused your Model S to be misaligned? If you kick your rear tires hard enough or graze a curb you can cause the alignment to go out of place. I curbed a wheel and pushed my alignment was off.

coud have been delivered that way. It's not uncommon. I went in several times for this myself. I, too, was stuck paying a lot of money for replacement tires.

You did go aftermarket with the rims so maybe that's what is giving them issues. Does sound like might have been misaligned from the start but maybe no way for you to prove that. At least you know now and can make sure it is addressed.

I am having similar issues with summer rear tires on my P85+. Worn: set #1 - 7,500 miles (inner only, plenty of thread left other wise), set #2 - 1,700 miles, set #3 - 2,400 miles. The issue is that original set-up did not allow rear camber adjustment, while some cars were getting to much of the negative camber from the factory. At some point later Tesla Motors re-designed bolts that allow for the adjustment of the rear camber. Unfortunately these re-designed bolts allowed rear camber to drift out of specs in a way original non-adjustable bolts did not. According to my conversation with regional service manager Tesla Motors are currently finalizing the design for the third generation bolts which will allow proper adjustment of rear camber, while able to maintain the set alignment without it drifting out of specifications over time. This problem was elevated to the very top and fix is coming soon.

In the meantime, I suggest contacting the regional service manager, he is real pro, and is totally aligned with the mission of Tesla Service, as articulated by the top management.

When I had a problem with service, I just send them summary e-mail and asked them to forward it to the regional service manager (His name is Lenny Peake). He called me the next day. PM me if this does not work - I have his cell number, but reluctant to post it.

I am confident they will make it right for you. TM paid for my two replacements and assured me that they will contact me as soon as the new adjustable bolts are ready, and replace the tires as necessary at that time as well.

Incidentally, I also swapped my winter 19" with Blizzacks by myself, and did not have any wear issues with them. The reason is that they have higher and softer sidewall than the summer tires, and, in spite of significant rear negative camber, conform to the road much better than summer tires. As a result winter tires distribute load evenly across the tire, while summer tires do not, riding on the edge which results in a well known wear pattern. The reasoning that was given to you by the NY SC is just wrong.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Have they done this at SC, it would have been caught earlier by examining winter tires, etc

d

So, they admit the car had a defect, but blame you for them not being able to catch their problem sooner, and thus won't pay for the damage their problem caused? Is that right? If so that doesn't make sense. If you didn't hit something and knock the car out of alignment or do anything else to cause the tire wear, you should raise cane with Tesla until you get some relief - take it up the chain until they won't let you go any higher, then put it out there on facebook and all social media that they are screwing you. Beware the "Tesla defenders"! You've already seen some, and you'll see more before its over. Blame the victim is a popular sport on this forum. I think too many readers here own Tesla stock.