Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tucson to Sky Harbor and back in an S85 possible without charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my MS85 a few days ago, I've had a blast driving it so far, I plan to use it for every trip possible. In that vein, I need to pick up someone at Skyharbor Terminal 4 next month, and I plan to drive my MS, however, I'm not sure I'll be able to complete the round trip without a charge along the way- Any Tucson owners made this trip and if so, any advice? EVtripplanner says it will use 249 RM from Ina and I-10 to Terminal 4 and back. if I drive the speed limit. That's cutting it close. If you've made this trip and didn't charge, how close were you to running out of power? If' you've made this trip- and charged, where did you charge? I know there is the Picacho Peak charger, but it's only working part of the time from what I can tell- There are some Blink chargers near Skyharbor and even some in the parking garage at Terminal 4. I might try to snag the terminal 4 one while I'm waiting to pick up but that's a big question if it would even be available let alone on line. I could drive up to Scottsdale Mall and use the HPWC ( I have dual chargers) at the mall for an hour or more, but that seems like a long way out of the way. If I'm willing to go out of the way of course I could go to Buckeye and Supercharge, but that's at least an extra 60+ miles. Can't wait for the Case Grande Supercharger, that will make Phoenix so much easier from Tucson. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I got my MS85 a few days ago, I've had a blast driving it so far, I plan to use it for every trip possible. In that vein, I need to pick up someone at Skyharbor Terminal 4 next month, and I plan to drive my MS, however, I'm not sure I'll be able to complete the round trip without a charge along the way- Any Tucson owners made this trip and if so, any advice? EVtripplanner says it will use 249 RM from Ina and I-10 to Terminal 4 and back. if I drive the speed limit. That's cutting it close. If you've made this trip and didn't charge, how close were you to running out of power? If' you've made this trip- and charged, where did you charge? I know there is the Picacho Peak charger, but it's only working part of the time from what I can tell- There are some Blink chargers near Skyharbor and even some in the parking garage at Terminal 4. I might try to snag the terminal 4 one while I'm waiting to pick up but that's a big question if it would even be available let alone on line. I could drive up to Scottsdale Mall and use the HPWC ( I have dual chargers) at the mall for an hour or more, but that seems like a long way out of the way. If I'm willing to go out of the way of course I could go to Buckeye and Supercharge, but that's at least an extra 60+ miles. Can't wait for the Case Grande Supercharger, that will make Phoenix so much easier from Tucson. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your MS85.

Although I will not have delivery until September (so no first hand experience), I would suggest leaving a little early and driving directly to Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall. It's only 8 miles from Sky Harbor. You could plug in on the 3rd floor of the green parking garage, shop, have some lunch and then a 20 minute drive back to the airport to meet your friends. That might cure your range issues. Best of luck.

I've had my MS 85 for less than a week, but I've had several EV's. With a 75 mph speed limits on I-10 and 110 degree temps with high A/C use, I doubt you can make it round trip.

It's too bad you can't use the CHAdeMO quick charging stations in Casa Grande or Picacho Peak yet. Those would help, but you can hit Picacho Peak on the way back and at least do an L2 charge.

The Blinks at Sky Harbor should charge at 30 amps, so you'd get about 18-20 miles/hour maybe? That might be enough to get you home. But it would probably be safer to head over to Scottsdale Fashion and use either the Model S HPWC at 80 amps or the Roadster HPC (the store has an adapter) at 70 amps. Just eat some lunch while you charge.

Good luck and happy travels!

Last edited:
That's probably the best solution-I'll probably go to the mall and charge for an hour- if I get 50+ miles added and only drive 16 that gives a buffer of over 30 miles, probably plenty. Of course it will work unless the spot's aren't available. When we picked up the car at the Service Center we went to the mall and although they were at least not ICE'd they were all full with Mfg cars, It was test drive weekend I think. The guy at the gallery told me the roadster spot can be used with an adapter they have, so that may work ( although there was a roadster there too that day) I think IKEA has Blink chargers, that may work too- 20miles in one hour would make me more comfortable. May wait to see how many miles used getting to the Phoenix area and then decide which charging option to use.

Call the Tesla store the morning when you leave and ask them about using the HPWC. When you are 30 min away or so call again and ask if they could check to see if it is open. They you could divert directly to the airport and charge there on the slower EVSE. After you pick up your friend, maybe you could then go back to Scottsdale for a quick charge if needed.

Just keep in mind that the Blinks at Sky Harbor are frequently full for days -- I've only seen an open one once in my last 3-4 visits.

I've driven from far north Scottsdale (nearly Carefree) to Tucson, specifically La Paloma and back. Took ~154 rated miles each way driving 5 over, and was nearly identical both directions. I also used to work in downtown Phoenix, which normally was ~60 rated miles round trip. 309 less 60 is right about 250, so your EVTripper estimate is likely pretty accurate.

But it also doesn't leave you much reserve. I'd plan on stopping for a charge some place. Even an hour at a Blink would give 15 miles extra buffer. Find a place along these way with a charger and stop for a bit -- ikea for example...

You have some choices right on your route which will work. There are several Blinks at the Arizona Golf Resort just left of I10 and south of Broadway in PHX (take the Broadway Rd exit). The best choice is a free Volta charger at the Auwatukee (sp) Mall to the left of I10 off Ray Rd., also in PHX. And there are slow Blinks at Ikea Home Furnishings adjacent to I10 between the two above locations. Check plugshare.com for exact locations of all of these locations. I've found the Volta charger to be the fastest (about 23 miles per hour). All of the above are just a few feet from your intended route. I have made the trip (85kWh) several times with no problems.

I think you're on the right track to charge at Fashion Square. I have used charger at Picacho reliably a few times. Be advised you need a charge point card/account to activate the charger.

Andy

i live on Dove Mountain during the winter and have done the round-trip to PHX several times. I agree that counting on the Blink chargers in the parking facility is unwise as they are almost always filled. The drive up to PHX is downhill so the speed limit is fine though 5 under would be wise. But the return to Tucson on uphill so I've done 10 under (65 mph) for most of the trip. I typically get home with about 15 rated miles left. The additional time required by going slower is still less time than diverting to Buckeye or Scottsdale. And A/C is not a big factor. But speed kills, as they say.

MyJoule: You probably now have heard more than enough advice, but. . . . here's my additional two cents: I live in Dove Mountain as well, and the distance from my house to Terminal 4 is exactly the same as your planned route beginning at Ina and I10 (98 miles). When I make the trip to pick up friends/family at airport, I drive 70 mph both ways. I always leave about an hour and a half early, stop at the free Volta charger (two stalls) in the Ahwatukee Mall (Ray Rd immediately adjacent to I10 in PHX), charge for an hour and a half---no need for a membership card, etc., just plug in---spend the waiting time at a restaurant---many there--- browsing at Barnes & Noble, clothing shops, etc., all within feet of the charger----and then go the last few miles to the airport. It all works out well.

I second others' advice to take note of elevation and wind changes, and would add to be on the lookout for summer dust storms in the afternoon, and adjust speed if absolutely necessary. But otherwise you should have a good trip and certainly sufficient range. No need to go out of your way to Buckeye or Fashion Square for electrons. As a fall back position, I would use Picacho Peak on the way back, but I have never had to use it.

I've been away from the computer for a few days- Thanks for all the suggestions- I plan a dry run this week and will attempt to charge at the Volta chargers on Ray road either on the way up or the way back for about an hour- My "official" pickup at SkyHarbor isn't for a couple of weeks, so a dry run will make me either comfortable or leave me using our ICE car instead. ( I hope not) I did read that those Voltas are getting ICE'd quite a bit now since they re-paved the parking lot and haven't restriped the spots as EV only- We'll see if it works out, and I will post back what I finally end up doing.

Successful dry run completed, from NW Tucson to Sky Harbor Terminal 4. The car is amazing. Range charged before leaving the house 270 Miles range according to car. Arrived at Sky harbor terminal 4 with 165 range miles showing used 95 Range miles to drive 101 actual miles! Kept the speed down to around 70Mph most of the way.(I was in no hurry)

Return trip: Stopped at the Volta Chargers off of Ray road, and they were Ice'd as expected. However, I was able to park on the west side and get a cord over to the Car. They really need to restripe the EV spots! Added 42 miles range in 2 hours while having a long lunch with an old friend. Really didn't need the charge, but thought since I could get it I might as well. Gave him a quick ride, consuming 6 or 7 miles of charge for less than 4 miles of driving, :smile: I then started home, drove a little faster, would have gone 75Mph but mostly due to traffic, I stayed around 73Mph In the end, I figure I used 114 Range miles to cover the 101 actual miles. It is definitely uphill to Tucson. There was really no need to charge along the way, arrived home plenty of charge, even with the fast, ( read not efficient!)demonstration side trip I still had 96miles showing when I arrived home. Would have been 54 miles left w/o the charge and closer to 60 w/o the high speed demonstration. This was a piece of cake, would have made it even without the range charge prior to leaving.

I'll repeat myself : The car is amazing.

Successful dry run completed, from NW Tucson to Sky Harbor Terminal 4. The car is amazing. Range charged before leaving the house 270 Miles range according to car. Arrived at Sky harbor terminal 4 with 165 range miles showing used 95 Range miles to drive 101 actual miles! Kept the speed down to around 70Mph most of the way.(I was in no hurry)

Return trip: Stopped at the Volta Chargers off of Ray road, and they were Ice'd as expected. However, I was able to park on the west side and get a cord over to the Car. They really need to restripe the EV spots! Added 42 miles range in 2 hours while having a long lunch with an old friend. Really didn't need the charge, but thought since I could get it I might as well. Gave him a quick ride, consuming 6 or 7 miles of charge for less than 4 miles of driving, :smile: I then started home, drove a little faster, would have gone 75Mph but mostly due to traffic, I stayed around 73Mph In the end, I figure I used 114 Range miles to cover the 101 actual miles. It is definitely uphill to Tucson. There was really no need to charge along the way, arrived home plenty of charge, even with the fast, ( read not efficient!)demonstration side trip I still had 96miles showing when I arrived home. Would have been 54 miles left w/o the charge and closer to 60 w/o the high speed demonstration. This was a piece of cake, would have made it even without the range charge prior to leaving.

I'll repeat myself : The car is amazing.

Test runs are fun when you don't have to buy gas. Only a lunch that you probably would have had on any given day. Thanks for the report. It will help others making a similar trip feel at ease. Regarding those Volta stations, maybe contacting the management of the mall. I went to Ahwatukee Foothills Towne Center | Retail Space for Lease in Phoenix, AZ and wrote an email to the contacts listed. Maybe it will help get things changed. It's nice at the Scottsdale Quarter. The stations they have set up there are just beyond the valet spots and they have cones around the Volta spaces. Seems pretty obvious and the signs state only electric cars. Seems to work and it could be where they're located that makes cars drive by it.
Anyway, glad it worked out.

I did contact Volta, and they responded within an hour saying the were not aware and would see about getting it remedied. I was impressed.

Yeah, with the low cost of a charge, it's been pretty amazing driving it just for the heck of it. over 1000 miles in only 3 weeks.

I did contact Volta, and they responded within an hour saying the were not aware and would see about getting it remedied. I was impressed.

Yeah, with the low cost of a charge, it's been pretty amazing driving it just for the heck of it. over 1000 miles in only 3 weeks.

Looks like some good news. I received the following note:
Thank you for your recent inquiry in regards to the Volta charging stations and the respective parking spaces. We recently had the parking lot and parking spaces seal coated which overlayed the existing markings. We have scheduled with Volta to have these spaces marked as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you should have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Tamatha Sloan
Regional Property Manager – Western Region

DDR Corp.
4802 E. Ray Road, Suite 23-238
Phoenix, Arizona 85044
direct line 480.607.6764 fax 480.991.3769
cell 480.388.1843
NYSE: DDR