Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Organize your UMC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
Was looking through Tesla Gear, and even though this is listed as "replacement wall connector cable organizer for HPWC", it works just fine as organizer for the UMC.
edit: ADDED UMC body holder thanks VERY much to UberEV1 and his 3D printer!

IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1459.jpg

Attachments

• photo-29.JPG
    photo-29.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 5,831
Last edited:
Yep. I ordered it around the same time I ordered my MS85. It now proudly organizes my UMC in my garage with it plugged into a NEMA 14-50, just like yours! Not sure why Tesla markets it only as a "replacement wall connector cable organizer" when it works great as well for those of use who went the 14-50 route.

(LMB spouse)

@smsprague - I was told by the local Tesla Service Center not to let the UMC electronics module hang from the plug. They recommended a bracket from Home Depot which worked fine for us, but would be harder to mount on a concrete wall.
Huh. Then why does the NEMA 14-50 install instruction sheet from Tesla say to put the outlet at least 18" off the floor when there is less than 18" between the plug and the electronics module, ensuring that the module can't rest on the floor? Based on the directions, there is no choice but to let it hang. Nothing in the directions say to NOT let it hang.

Huh. Then why does the NEMA 14-50 install instruction sheet from Tesla say to put the outlet at least 18" off the floor when there is less than 18" between the plug and the electronics module, ensuring that the module can't rest on the floor?

I really don't understand that factory directive. While I have an HPWC I also installed a 14-50 (as a backup and for my next Tesla :) but placed it just a foot off the floor. I see no problem with having a bit of cable on the floor.

My UMC plug is so tight in the 14-50 socket that it takes two hands to plug or unplug. I don't expect it'll tilt out any time soon.
Agreed, there is no way the plug is gonna tilt.

I'm just curious as to why Tesla doesn't state anywhere in the documentation to not let the module hang, if indeed one shouldn't do that.

- - - Updated - - -

I got one of this for Christmas, but frankly the plastic garden hose holder was Target works just as well and is a fraction of the cost.
$25 isn't that much, it looks good, and it has a notch to hold the plug end.

Agreed, there is no way the plug is gonna tilt.

I'm just curious as to why Tesla doesn't state anywhere in the documentation to not let the module hang, if indeed one shouldn't do that.

I agree that the NEMA 14-50 adapter isn't going to tilt out of the wall receptacle. The 5-15 will if you have to plug it in to an outlet that's some height off the ground though.

The issue I've always had with letting the UMC "Body" dangle has been more with the stress it puts on the interface between UMC cable-plug and the adapter that fits in to it. That interface has had issues in the past (hence the adapter replacement program), and the pins in there are only barely adequate for the current[1].

Leaving that weight unsupported increases the likelihood of stress on that interface and some unwelcome play developing there. It's one of the reasons I carry a couple of velcro straps and a small bungie in my UMC case.. I've used them to support the UMC a couple of times on trips. Not to mention they serve double-duty in allowing for a tidy UMC cable when you coil it up.

[1] In my opinion, and that if a number of other folks here...o

I just ordered one of these:http://shop.quickchargepower.com/UMC-Wall-Mount-UMCWM.htm
Looks like a good solution and makes the umc easily removable.

Hmmm. perfect complement to the organizer to protect UMC body and plug/adapter. Thanks.

Will probably get this too, although I've got to say this: I've had 1 UMC for 17 months now. It has hung from socket at one house, and dangled off boulder retaining wall at other... every single day and night for over 500 days. NO problems with plug, adapter, UMC function... anything. Maybe that good fortune is the quid pro quo for my A battery pack!?!?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't hit it with the saw, Rik!~

On the HPWC hanger. This isn't the most well designed thing in the world. First, some units (mine did, others saw it too) have a problem that the connection between the wall plate and the hanger itself has tabs that latch. The only way to unlatch the hanger from the plate is to pry the tabs out a bit. Unfortunately, with the plate screwed into the wall, you can't do that so you'd be stuck having to pound if off the plate if you wanted to move it. I just broke my tabs off and gravity holds it in place just fine.

The second thing is that the charging wand ("nozzle") doesn't latch, it just uses friction to stay in the hanger. It won't sit straight in the hanger because of the cable and often won't stay because of this. You have to fiddle with it and it doesn't look tidy. I wish they had made it positively latching. As such, I would probably have opted for some sort of hose hanger and just let the wand dangle.