Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, your air conditioning is awesome!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may want to read the rest of the items, there.

Not even full spec, there is neither Warp drive nor the Levitation package (OK, those require special authorisation anyway, but still). Btw, both those unlisted options I mentioned aren't really worth much if you don't get the 120 battery, as it doesn't give the full experience at all.

I'm driving mostly in Los Angeles and back and forth to Phoenix. The AC is on pretty much all the time. Temperatures are always 85-105. Not only does it cool well it also doesn't seem to affect range much. My average in the last 3 months is 302 Wh/mile.

Haha, this is Wisconsin, our windows down temps are 45*F-65*F :) I wear shorts down to ~25*F, coat goes on at 20. My AC is set at 60 :)

You'd laugh at my daughter complaining of being freezing while walking through the grocery store the other day. It was maybe 72 inside...

I'm driving mostly in Los Angeles and back and forth to Phoenix. The AC is on pretty much all the time. Temperatures are always 85-105. Not only does it cool well it also doesn't seem to affect range much. My average in the last 3 months is 302 Wh/mile.

I notice minimal range impact from the AC as long as temps are below 110 or so. Above 110, there is a bigger impact since the battery is being cooled...

David99...'sounds like your experience shows great efficiency. Question for those who have been caught in serious, hours-long, creeping along traffic jams...do you end up turning off the AC, or not? Certainly the drive train is great in such stop and go situations...but if it's 100 F out, does the AC become a source for range anxiety in such situations?

David99...'sounds like your experience shows great efficiency. Question for those who have been caught in serious, hours-long, creeping along traffic jams...do you end up turning off the AC, or not? Certainly the drive train is great in such stop and go situations...but if it's 100 F out, does the AC become a source for range anxiety in such situations?

I know what you are saying. Theoretically it is true, the longer you are standing in traffic the more time passes thus the longer the AC runs resulting in more energy being consumed. In reality it is still a very small amount compared to what the motor needs in normal driving. I never turned it off because of range anxiety. A few times I had to do a 253 mile trip from the Hawthorne Supercharger to Quartzsite Supercharger in brutal heat. I set the temperature to 73 instead of 68 and put it in range mode. I always made it. There is no way I can turn off the AC at the typical temperatures and sunshine here in Los Angeles or Arizona. It would be extremely uncomfortable. It is much more reasonable to reduce speed by lets say 3-4 miles per hour and this way save enough energy to run the AC at normal setting.

If I was stuck in traffic and the battery is running low to a point where I know I won't reach my destination, I would still rather keep the AC running and stop at a charging station on the way. Driving without AC is just not an option. Let's say you stand in traffic one hour longer due to traffic. It would add maybe maybe 2 kWh. That's the equivalent of 6 miles which isn't that much after all. In reality it's probably less because you never actually stand in traffic for one hour, rather, you are moving slow. At low speeds the car is more efficient so this will give you a little more range.

Long story short, keep the AC running! Don't worry.

Along the same subject, feel free to move if needed-Not being very mechanical-how does the a/c work in our Tesla's compared to an ICE. Why do I never see condensation drippage on my garage floor?
The AC in the MS has a variable speed motor on the compressor. Gasoline cars have a belt that goes to the compressor. No drippage? Low humidity maybe? Mine dumps so much water out on a humid day it's as if it's got a garden hose connected to it @_@

I haven't been in an that kind of traffic jam with the Tesla... But I have plenty of experience in 100F+ temps during regular commuting. Here's what I notice:

If temps are in the upper 90s to about 110, you will notice a drop in rated range by 1-2 miles when you first get in the car and the AC ramps up to cool the cabin down (this happens over about 5-10 minutes, so the rated range drop is in addition to any driving you do. Same drop if you pre-cool from the app and are not plugged in. But once the cabin is cool, the AC doesn't really significantly impact range. Even in range mode it also maintains a nice cool cabin.

if temps are over 110, there is a step change and you notice a ~5 mile drop in rated range in addition to driven miles in the first 10-15 min. I'm pretty sure that's due to the battery now being cooled in addition to the cabin. But once things are cooled down, it's hard to tell how much range is lost due cooling -- fairly negligible.

We did a -150 mile day trip last summer. Outbound temps were low 100s in the morning. Afternoon temps while driving back were 110-112. Car was in range mode and was pre-cooled in the morning. We drove 5 over the limit. Used about ~160 rated miles total, which included abaout 30-45 minutes sitting in the car parked with the AC running...

I'd say your long traffic jam scenario won't be a major issue for range anxiety. But put it in range mode to be safe... That will limit the max power the AC system can use (and should still keep you plenty cool inside).