Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demand for PlugShare Tesla Optimized Browser Integrated into Nav System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: SuperOmega
If by integrated, you mean having the ability for the nav system to search for and route you through non-supercharger EVSE's, or to choose overnight accommodations based on EVSE presence, bring it ON!

This would be a welcome addition if care were taken to avoid clutter: i.e. selectable filter to display only those that are pertinent to Teslas (filter out 110V wall chargers, for example). Hotels/Inns/B&Bs that provide EVSE capability would be VERY useful.

This would be a welcome addition if care were taken to avoid clutter: i.e. selectable filter to display only those that are pertinent to Teslas (filter out 110V wall chargers, for example). Hotels/Inns/B&Bs that provide EVSE capability would be VERY useful.

You are able to set your filters to only Tesla pertinent stations in settings.
image.tiff

There is also a 'Hotels only" specific filter option
image.tiff

- - - Updated - - -

We get a lot of feedback that our tesla optimized browser is "slow and laggy", this is something that we cannot control and has to do with internet connection. We are trying to gauge driver demand and hope integration into the Navigation system could be a possibility in the future.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 4.36.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 4.36.38 PM.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 423
  • Filter by Hotels.png
    Filter by Hotels.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 397
Sounds cool but the main issue with PlugShare is that it's often hard to tell the power of the station. I think there should be a field for the max delivered power in kW. New stations in the database should be required to have this field, and users should be encouraged to fill it in for existing stations (with some guidance about P=IV for the chargers that are rated in amps). Giving power in kW would work for all kinds of stations - L1/2/3.

Sounds cool but the main issue with PlugShare is that it's often hard to tell the power of the station. I think there should be a field for the max delivered power in kW. New stations in the database should be required to have this field, and users should be encouraged to fill it in for existing stations (with some guidance about P=IV for the chargers that are rated in amps). Giving power in kW would work for all kinds of stations - L1/2/3.

This is a great idea. VERY useful and should be easy to implement.

GSP

People have been asking for the power delivered search feature for at least a year (along with the hotel feature). I personally made that request when I got my car (June '13) and there are threads on TMC about others doing it as well. I applaud PlugShare/Recargo for making some progress. Wish there was more of it, though.

On the power option, easy to implement but the database needs to get populated. If they created the ability to add this data directly from the lookup page or maybe from the check in page, I bet we would get to a reasonable percentage complete in a few months time. The key is to make it easy to do from the car browser or phone app. Crowd sourcing only works if it's easy.

Nav would be great; OTOH I like the progress that Plugshare has been making. Yes that database of V+A or kW needs to be filled up (by "us" after it's easy to do) per the many comments on many threads. My favourite strategy would be what Vger proposed (search/route non-SC EVSE & pick out accommodations).

You are able to report the volts and amps. When you check-in at a station there are check boxes to report this information. We still have plans to better organize this information within the description and add filtering capabilities.
Add Volts:Amps.png

- - - Updated - - -

Could everyone that would like to see our browser integrated into Tesla's Nav system please provide us with the email associated with your PlugShare account? If you do not want to post it in this forum, you can send an email to [email protected] or [email protected].

Thank you! The more user demand, the better chance of future integration.

You are able to report the volts and amps. When you check-in at a station there are check boxes to report this information. We still have plans to better organize this information within the description and add filtering capabilities.

Yes I saw this on the Tesla web page and the iPad app. This is a great improvement! I don't see these fields on the regular web page yet. I hope you're planning to add them there too, for people who check in from home after a trip. Making this more visible and filter-able would be excellent.

And what do you think about making these fields mandatory for new station entries? All I see in the "add station" pages is a place for optional "power rating and other info" in the app, and nothing in the regular web page. This doesn't give enough guidance to get people to enter consistent, usable data.

For the charging station data to be really useful (especially for more complex uses like navigation apps that factor in charge times), it needs to be consistent and accurate, so I think a more forceful approach to get people to enter it right would be warranted.