Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under seat lighting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this is perhaps a strange question. I have the tech package, but not the optional interior lighting package.

This week I was in the back seat cleaning the windows with the dome lights on, and noticed that I have a light under my driver's seat, but not under my passenger seat. That's... weird. Which way is correct?

I do know that my driver's seat was replaced because an issue was found with the internal mechanism. Did I get a lighted seat instead of an unlighted one by mistake or something?

I have a car with the VIN in the 8000's (e.g., when the lighting was standard). I have lights under both seats. Never noticed it with theTesla black carpet, but "discovered" it when I installed tan carpeting.

Hmm. Thanks for the confirmation. I might have the SC see if they can unplug it or something when I'm in. It looks odd having it on only one of the seats, like I have one burnt out or something.

I will say, it does look nice, though. Not worth $1k, but nice.

Hmm. Thanks for the confirmation. I might have the SC see if they can unplug it or something when I'm in. It looks odd having it on only one of the seats, like I have one burnt out or something.

There is some play with the mounting bracket on the light under the seat, you may have the light under the passenger side but it may be turned down into the carpet.

Yeah really. When Tesla made this an "option" it was so obvious that tesla is trying to increase their profit margins because $1k is a little too much of a price hike for $5 in totally parts for these lights. That's a $9995 profit to Tesla for everyone selecting this option. It's absurd and should be standard.

I was wondering exactly what lights come with the "Premium Lighting Package" for $1000. Is there a descriptive list somewhere?

Did you bother to read the description on the Tesla site and look at the pictures showing the lights?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah really. When Tesla made this an "option" it was so obvious that tesla is trying to increase their profit margins because $1k is a little too much of a price hike for $5 in totally parts for these lights. That's a $9995 profit to Tesla for everyone selecting this option. It's absurd and should be standard.

Ha ha... how funny... $5 in parts. The $1k is probably a bit high. But not as ridiculous as your comment.

Did you bother to read the description on the Tesla site and look at the pictures showing the lights?

First place I looked was the Tesla site, then other searches which mention things like "door handle lights" and "more trunk lighting" which are not mentioned in the Tesla description. Hence my question about a "definitive" list of all the lights or is it now just the three items listed on the site.

My bad. $7 in parts then. I forgot to include wiring.

You've got 2 under seat lights, 2 puddle lights for the rear doors and 4 custom built enclosed strips (one on each door for accent lights, not some simple stick on LED strips) under the arm rests on each door. The puddle and seat light easily tie into the dome light circuitry, but the armrest lights have separate controller so they can be operated as accent lighting at night or turned off.

That is not $7 worth of parts. You may consider your time free... I'm sure Tesla's is not and if you went to get this installed by a professional installer, I'm sure they wouldn't do it for free. Since there is nothing in the car that operates the way the armrest accents do, you'd have to wire up all the doors together and still wouldn't have the functionality of the Interior Lighting.

Should it cost $1000? Seems quite high to me. But don't make it sound like it's a few bucks.

I paid for the optional lighting package. Although it may be overpriced and superfluous, it is not as much a rip-off as that crap called Paint Armor. I paid $950 for Pain Armor. I also paid extra to have it removed because if was not effective and looked horrible.

If you can do this for 7$ in parts, you should sell the kit. I am sure many here would buy it for 50$ which would make you a tidy profit. I suspect if it was that easy and cheap, the aftermarket would be all over it.
That's kind of the point, though. The parts ARE relatively cheap, and the reason there isn't a giant aftermarket is because it's expensive to do after assembly with all that labor. Cheap for Tesla, expensive for everyone else. Now, $7 is obviously low. I'm not sure you could even get the 8 or so high-quality white LEDs for that. But $50-$75 including LEDs and brackets/connectors is probably not that far off the mark.

With respect to Gary, the picture of the disassembled door awhile back showed no controller in the armrest. Just a wire to the LED. In all likelihood it's a pinout of the center console that's essentially no additional cost. Further, Tesla appears to route most (all?) of the wiring whether you select the option or not. So the actual cost to add the LEDs and brackets/connectors appears to be the entirety of the additional parts cost.

Certainly they're making a handsome profit on this particular option. I struggle to rectify the fact that fog lights are $500, but the interior lighting is $1000. Indeed while still overpriced, at $500 I might have bit.