Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upload picture of Supercharger site??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tinky,

All new members have limited functionality. It will be lifted after the message count reaches a random number between 8-10. When it is lifted you will see an edit button under your own messages. I think the following information should be made clear to new members:

1. New members have limitations about pictures and links in messages
2. The limitation is removed after around 10 messages
3. You can see when it is removed by the appearance of an edit button under your own message

Some site moderators think the current system works fine. I disagree. I think it is confusing for new members because lack of information on the 3 points I mentioned. A possible solution would be an announcement window on top (just like the faded yellow box you saw about forum rules) that says "new member limitations" and when you click on it a page opens that mentioned those 3 details.

I made the same suggestion here a few days ago:
New member limitations and how it can be fixed

Don't try to add links to your messages until you see the edit button because those messages will be on hold until somebody checks the content on the web pages the links open to which could take days.

Considering what it costs to join this site, and what the moderators are paid to moderate it, I think the current system works just fine.

Adding an announcement window doesn't cost extra and doesn't require extra time from moderators. How does your argument about cost and moderator time invalidate my suggestion about an announcement window that doesn't cost anything and doesn't require extra time? In fact because moderators currently need to scan lots of messages with links from new members, my suggestion would reduce their work time considerably.

Obviously somebody is putting up those announcements. I closed two recently. One was about forum rules. The other was about reservations for an event. They appear as yellow bars on top. When you close them they are gone. All that is needed is to find that person and say, hey can you add another announcement.

How does your argument about cost and moderator time invalidate my suggestion about an announcement window that doesn't cost anything and doesn't require extra time?

Making any change to a website takes time to make. If you were a paying customer, or the mods were paid to make changes, I could see your point in pushing for the change you want. But your request was asked and answered and it's time to move on.

Nigel, not fair for you to pick sides like that in an argument using your moderator powers. I don't think I was particularly impolite. However, let me rephrase. Canuck, I don't think it is appropriate to tell other members what they should or shouldn't write about especially when someone isn't talking to you.

Requesting civility is not picking sides. Public forum, everyone reads the posts. The assumption is that everyone may answer. If you'd like private conversations, that's what private messaging is for. (And yes, I know you addressed Nigel. See my previous sentence.)

Let's not lose focus on the issue. The issue is lack of information to new members about limitations, what they are, when they are lifted and how you would know. I think we will continue seeing topics like this regularly until somebody decides to add a little more information which does not cost anything and doesn't require more than a few minutes time.

Besides the top announcement idea, another thing that can be changed is the default warning you see if you are new member with less than 10 messages. It says something like "Your message will appear after it is approved by a moderator". I think that can be changed to "Links, images and attachments by new members with less than 10 messages appear after they are approved by a moderator".

Again this change wouldn't cost anything and could be done in 2 minutes using the vbulletin backend menus. I don't think moderators have access to that area. They might have access to other backend functions but not to changing text of page elements. It would need to be done by site owners/administrators.

Two pages and not one on topic post.
I'll start with my most remote charge... Beaver, UT May 14, 2014
P1070140.jpg

Two pages and not one on topic post.
I'll start with my most remote charge... Beaver, UT May 14, 2014

I believe that you misunderstood. The original poster was merely asking how to upload a photo of a Supercharger site under construction. As I understand his question he wasn't really soliciting others to upload photos of operating Supercharging stations.

Teo's remarks are on topic because it addresses the new member's question about how to post photos.

Likewise pgirlat and Teo's points about the limited functionality for new forum member is also on-topic because they explain why the original poster could not post a photo.

Teo's suggestion that discusses how to minimize new member confusion likewise is also on-topic, regardless of whether or not TMC decides to implement them.

Larry

Let's not lose focus on the issue. The issue is lack of information to new members about limitations, what they are, when they are lifted and how you would know. I think we will continue seeing topics like this regularly until somebody decides to add a little more information which does not cost anything and doesn't require more than a few minutes time.

Besides the top announcement idea, another thing that can be changed is the default warning you see if you are new member with less than 10 messages. It says something like "Your message will appear after it is approved by a moderator". I think that can be changed to "Links, images and attachments by new members with less than 10 messages appear after they are approved by a moderator".

Again this change wouldn't cost anything and could be done in 2 minutes using the vbulletin backend menus. I don't think moderators have access to that area. They might have access to other backend functions but not to changing text of page elements. It would need to be done by site owners/administrators.

Yes, by all means, let's not lose focus on YOUR issue. The administrators/site owners are well aware of your request. You've been well heard. K?