Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chris, you might want to think about trying to do the repair on your own. There are several on this forum who have done that with some success, they want $250 per wheel in this area. If you are going to get curb rash on a continual basis it can get quite expensive. I used 80 grit sand paper to start, the aluminum is soft so sands fairly easily, then gradually go to finer grit maybe 150. Once you have the majority of the rash smooth use 0000 steel wool to smooth out the rim, then tape off the area and spray with clear acrylic sealer. Depending upon how much effort you put into it most people when standing back will not see the rash, probably not as good as a professional but total cost about $10.

Anyone have any recommendations for decent rim repair shops in the northern Virginia area? I checked with alloy wheel repair in Chantilly, wanted $175 per wheel which seemed a bit steep so I figured I'd do some more searching. Anybody use the mobile repair businesses? The wheels are off the car so I can easily drop them off.

I repaired the OEM 19's myself which turned out "ok". Matching, blending the paint/clear coat was the hardest part. Now the 19s are used as my winter rims with winter tires. I want my main rims (20' T-Sportlines) to look better than my DIY paint skills might allow.

After 4 years my rims looked bad all around. Got them repaired and repowder coated. Turns out I was missing that small piece of plastic around the valve stem.

Kind of hard to find any info on those. Used every search word I could. I can now help you replace any of your missing pieces.

These are called, in my case for 20" rims.

20in BASE WHEEL VALVE "ORNAMENT"
Part Number 1027201-00-A
You get 4 of these unpainted for about $5.oo

I will paint mine with can spray paint and slip it back onto valve stem and once again have my car looking factory fresh.

Hope this helps someone

Happy 4th of July 2020

Paul of Elite Wheel Repair is usually based out of a shop next to the Rockville Service Center.

Attachments

• F344D49B-C9D0-45A7-A93B-D2AF151A47E7.jpeg
    F344D49B-C9D0-45A7-A93B-D2AF151A47E7.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 60