Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging near Siesta Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
Hello Florida owners,

Now that I know the Tampa supercharger won't be available in time for my road trip next week, wanted to get some advice on charging in Siesta Key. I'll be coming down I-95 and supercharging all the way down to Port Orange, then cutting across on I-4 and then down I-75 to Siesta Key. Google says it's 191 miles door to door, so I will probably range charge in Port Orange to give me some buffer.

I was hoping to find a 110V outlet where I'm staying, but the folks on the phone weren't terribly helpful, so I'm not holding my breath.

I probably won't be doing much driving while I'm there and we'll be staying for a week, so what I really need is to make sure I can charge when I get there so I'm not at a low SoC and then before I leave, I'll need to Range Charge again so I can make it back to Port Orange.

Looking on Plugshare, I see RPM Exotics is only about a mile away from where we're staying and they have a NEMA14-50, so that's probably the fastest and closest place. We're driving down with some friends, so I can probably get someone to pick me up and take me back to pick up the car. Has anyone else ever charged at RPM? I'm going to give them a ring this week.

My backup plans are the Publix on Bee Ridge Rd and the Florida House Institute which are nearby.

I'm really hoping I can just find a 110V outlet and be done with it, but want to have my bases covered.

Any other advice?

Welcome to the Sunshine State.

I think that your game plan makes sense. The Publix charger is expensive so if RPM Exotics doesn't work out I would try Florida House. You will need a ChargePoint card to gain access, but it should be free. When I charged there I believe it was at 22 mph.

If you plan on spending some time shopping and dining at Saint Armands Circle they have two free chargers in the Filmore Street Parking Lot.

If you run into problems contact me at [email protected].

Larry

If you plan on going to Mote marine (just west of St. Armands) there's a charger there, its a good backup if the Filmore st. parking lot is ICEed kind of surprised no one mentioned that one yet. Also the downtown Palm ave parking garage has four 30 amp chargers.

If you plan on going to Mote marine (just west of St. Armands) there's a charger there, its a good backup if the Filmore st. parking lot is ICEed kind of surprised no one mentioned that one yet. Also the downtown Palm ave parking garage has four 30 amp chargers.

Hi Joe,

I did mention the Filmore Street Parking lot.

The Palm Avenue Garage is an excellent location for someone spending time in downtown Sarasota during the day. However, it should be noted that it doesn't remain open overnight.

Larry

Just got off the phone with RPM Exotics and they were super friendly. They've got a variety of options and I'll probably just use the 14-50 there to charge up. Thanks again for everyone's advice and I'll let you all know how it goes.

They have at least one 30A 240V J1772 in addition to the 14-50 at the location near Siesta Key plus some 120V J1772's, but apparently they have some other location closer to the airport where they also have a HPWC as well.

Larry,

I was parked in Palm Ave garage recently till late at night. All the lift gates were removed and covered with canvas and there were plenty of cars looking like they were being left overnight. Maybe it does close at some time but I don't recall signage and there's definitely no gates/barriers.

Pgiralt,

theres also free charging in the bay front car park on the north side of Marina Jacks.

Larry,

I was parked in Palm Ave garage recently till late at night. All the lift gates were removed and covered with canvas and there were plenty of cars looking like they were being left overnight. Maybe it does close at some time but I don't recall signage and there's definitely no gates/barriers.

Hi Nigel,

I was just reporting on the basis of the city's webpage: http://www.sarasotagov.org/POD/G_Parking.cfm

The Palm Avenue GarageGarage parking is available at the award winning Palm Avenue Garage, which is located one block from Main Street on North Palm Avenue, only steps away from 5 points intersection in downtown. The Palm Avenue Garage is a newly designed and LEED Certified facility utilizing the latest technology in equipment and design.

The city provides four reserved electric car-charging stations on the ground floor.

NOTE: Overnight public parking in the Palm Avenue Garage is not permitted.

PLEASE COMPLY WITH ALL POSTED SIGNS AND CITY ORDINANCES , including No Back-in parking.

The City reserves the right to activate "pay on entry", or "Special Event" parking when deemed necessary and without advance notice.

Larry

Larry, possibly access to the garage has been changed now the season is over?

I called the city. They said that overnight parking at the Palm Avenue Garage is not permitted at any time of the year. The city representative stated that even though the garage is not gated in the evening it is "managed" at night and parking overnight will result in a $35 ticket.

Larry

So turns out the condo we are renting at Siesta Breakers has covered parking with 110V outlets every 6 parking spaces or so - not close enough without an extension cord, but with a 25 ft 12 gauge cord, it's not a problem. Got here with 15 miles of rated range to spare but already made it north of 200 off the 110V. Also ended up taking the kids down to the MOTE aquarium where there was a HPWC I used for a little while to get up to 90% charge (only 48A, but still great, so thank you to whoever provided that). The folks at RPM Exotics also provided me with the lock code for their 14-50 outlet which it looks like I won't have to use. All in all, this town seems very EV friendly and won't have any issue getting back home! Thanks again to everyone who replied.