Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temperature "hold" When Out of Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the desert southwest, it can be REALLY hot and in the northern climates, it can be REALLY cold. I'd like a "pop-up" menu to appear when I put the car into Park so that I can set it to maintain the temperature while I make a quick stop at a convenience mart or the hardware store. It would also be great if I could set the a/c or heater to turn on slightly before my departure time for work and when I typically go home.

Yes, there could be a problem with draining the battery, but it could default to turn off if the car isn't opened within a few minutes of the scheduled time.

A simple pop up would be nice. Currently what you can do is

1. If your car is in Drive (or Neutral), with your foot on the brake, apply the Parking Brake from the center screen. This will keep the car on (and from moving). You can then exit the car and lock it.
2. If you are already in Park, you can put the car into Neutral (or Drive) and perform step #1

To set the temperature before leaving for work (turn on A/C), you can use VisibleTesla to schedule that.

Living here in the desert with the two of you, I would totally appreciate an easy way to keep the A/C on while you go in somewhere quickly. Sometimes when I leave the car, I use the app to turn the AC back on - but I don't know how long it actually stays on, as I think its based on the temp in the car. It would be awesome to set a time period for it to stay on.

Another issue is that when you exit the car (and leave a passenger in the car), the car thinks your gone and adjusts the AC down - even if you leave the key in the car (this happened just today for me). The passenger can touch the screen...but I'm curious if that may impact araxara's idea. I'll have to give it a try....and see how well that works.

It is amazing how 'lazy' and 'spoiled' we are becoming, when given such a technologically advanced car!!! I love it!

Living here in the desert with the two of you, I would totally appreciate an easy way to keep the A/C on while you go in somewhere quickly. Sometimes when I leave the car, I use the app to turn the AC back on - but I don't know how long it actually stays on, as I think its based on the temp in the car. It would be awesome to set a time period for it to stay on.

It's strictly time based. 30 minutes.

Jerry33,

Quick follow-up question on the 30-minutes. Is that 30 minutes from the time you hit the "Turn On" button on the mobile app or from the last time you accessed the app?

The reason I ask is that here in Texas, I use the app a lot when I get out of the car to fire the a/c back up. I am curious how/if the 30 minute window resets...

Thanks,

Adam

I agree that Tesla could really improve the automation of climate control management. I hardly ever remember to use the app. It would be nice to be able to set a policy preference in the car. Something like "hold set temp after leaving the car, for X minutes or until Y kWh (or RR miles/kms) have been consumed."

I often spend from 30-180 minutes in the car while on the ferries here, with the climate control on. I rarely see all that much impact on range.

What I do is after getting out of the car, stick my foot back in and tap the brake without sitting down in the seat. This will keep the AC going for 30 minutes even if you take out the FOB and lock the car.

You can also do this if the car is off, but you do need the FOB in the car (I think). If the car is off and you open the door, of course the AC comes on. If you stick your foot in and tap the brake (holding the FOB in the car), you can then close the door completely.

Of course you can also just close the door one click and the AC will stay on, but you won't be able to lock it and walk away. This would be more for leaving a passenger in the car...

If you put the car in 'N' and engage the parking brake instead of using 'P' the AC should stay on indefinitely... or as long as the battery has enough charge... whichever comes first... I believe the car disables AC while not in 'D' at a rated range of ~40 miles or so...

In the desert southwest, it can be REALLY hot and in the northern climates, it can be REALLY cold. I'd like a "pop-up" menu to appear when I put the car into Park so that I can set it to maintain the temperature while I make a quick stop at a convenience mart or the hardware store. It would also be great if I could set the a/c or heater to turn on slightly before my departure time for work and when I typically go home.

Yes, there could be a problem with draining the battery, but it could default to turn off if the car isn't opened within a few minutes of the scheduled time.

+1 on these ideas. A more customizable climate control in app or car would be a major help.