Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Hotel Chain supporting Tesla charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, I think that it is a good effort, bad execution. They should really be installing High Amp L2 like Clipper Creek CS-100s. They are really limiting the people who can use this by putting in HPWCs.

That may in fact be the goal; attract high end owners to prime properties.

Also factor in the cost of the HPWC is about 1/2 of the CS-100, tesla could also be subsidizing the cost (so it's likely even less), and they are tying it in with "use SuperChargers for your long distance charging, then stay at our properties once you arrive at your destination". There is no other EV brand that can be used for long distance travel other than tesla right now anyway that can use high amperage chargers.

image.jpg
It was a pleasure to stay at the Marroitt in Flagstaff, AZ and be able to have immediate access to a Supercharger. In light of the fact that every charging slot was being used, I've got to think that the placement of the Sipercharger at Marriott was pretty good for the hotel!

Problem with HPWCs is they only benefit those with dual chargers - which I frustratingly neglected to get. So, that only gets me 40A charging....which is better than most chargers....but still not at supercharger level.

I am always amazed at the pics from Flagstaff being full. Although I think that's great for the brand....I worry what that means for the day I chose to go there!!! I hope the users are courteous, and at least move when they are charged.....

Problem with HPWCs is they only benefit those with dual chargers - which I frustratingly neglected to get. So, that only gets me 40A charging....which is better than most chargers....but still not at supercharger level.

I am always amazed at the pics from Flagstaff being full. Although I think that's great for the brand....I worry what that means for the day I chose to go there!!! I hope the users are courteous, and at least move when they are charged.....
I would disagree on a couple of counts. 40 Amp charging is still significantly faster than 30 Amp (typical for the Blink/ChargePoint chargers). But either 40 or 30 is still probably sufficient for an overnight stay and that is probably why the hotel is offering them. They want you to stay overnight, not just 20 minutes of so.

Problem with HPWCs is they only benefit those with dual chargers - which I frustratingly neglected to get. So, that only gets me 40A charging....which is better than most chargers....but still not at supercharger level..
How is that a problem? You charge fully at home overnight with your single charger and you can charge fully at the hotel overnight with your single charger plugged into the hotel's HPWC. I wish more hotels did this. I don't know if the hotels have them on 100A or 50A circuits but there's really no need for them to go to the expense of 100A circuits for overnight charging.

How is that a problem? You charge fully at home overnight with your single charger and you can charge fully at the hotel overnight with your single charger plugged into the hotel's HPWC. I wish more hotels did this. I don't know if the hotels have them on 100A or 50A circuits but there's really no need for them to go to the expense of 100A circuits for overnight charging.

Except that two Model S's could charge overnight, as long as the first driver was courteous enough to move their car when done.

By the shadows in the picture, it looks to be around noon? So maybe there are specific more popular times. Coincidentally I pulled in to Flagstaff yesterday around 4:30pm and used 1A, the spot the red one is using in the pic above, and no one else was there (and at that time of day the car was fully shaded and kept cool by the charging infrastructure). We walked over to Red Lobster for dinner. There was one (black?) car that had pulled in when we got back (if that owner is on TMC, you used 1B, which means you got our dregs until we tapered down and finally left -- if a different number is available (e.g. 2A or 2B) you should use that to get immediate full power).

Flagstaff was the first supercharger I used -- back in Feb shortly after it opened.

There was a black Model S charging when we arrived -- I expected to see it since it blew past us on the way up from Phoenix (we have a 60, so until Cordes Junction is open, we need to take it easy on the way up to Flag due to the elevation gain).

The black one was gone when we left, but another S was pulling in to the Marriott just as we were leaving.

I suspect that Flagstaff could be full on summer weekends. Lots of Phoeniceans head up to Flag in summer to cool off, plus you'll get people heading up to the Grand Canyon on vacation... But other times probably won't be too bad.

Marcus Hotels are adding HPWCs to at least 13 of their properties. This is great news and we can use it as an example to other hotels.

I will be installing a NEMA 14-50 in the garage at my Disney vacation rental home in hopes of attracting Model S owners to stay there for their Disney vacation. The house rents very well as is, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Agreed. Deployment of charger stations is not well prioritized or coordinated now. There should be a hierarchy, depending on time scale of use:

0) Home: L1, L2 as needed
1) Long-distance travel en route: Superchargers
2) Short-stay (meals, shopping,...): haL2, 10kW-20kW
3) Overnight on the road: multiple L2, 6 kW-10kW
4) Long-stay (airport, ferry, resort parking) lots of L1 outlets

I will be installing a NEMA 14-50 in the garage at my Disney vacation rental home in hopes of attracting Model S owners to stay there for their Disney vacation. The house rents very well as is, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

This is a good idea. Might even be interested one day, although I think the family would push back at a Dallas - Orlando road trip.

Agreed. Deployment of charger stations is not well prioritized or coordinated now. There should be a hierarchy, depending on time scale of use:

0) Home: L1, L2 as needed
1) Long-distance travel en route: Superchargers
2) Short-stay (meals, shopping,...): haL2, 10kW-20kW
3) Overnight on the road: multiple L2, 6 kW-10kW
4) Long-stay (airport, ferry, resort parking) lots of L1 outlets

I don't know about your #2: it seems superfluous for Model S as long as the other categories are well implemented. Though perhaps you're thinking of the Leafs of the world, where charging while shopping locally may be necessary?

…meanwhile, Best Western is working with Sun Country Highway to roll out High-Amperage (Clipper Creek CS-100) stations. I am all for this, as High-Amperage J1772 is the fastest charging standard which can be used by ALL EVs (even my Roadster).

I don't know about your #2: it seems superfluous for Model S as long as the other categories are well implemented. Though perhaps you're thinking of the Leafs of the world, where charging while shopping locally may be necessary?
There will never be enough superchargers to make #2 superfluous. They're not necessarily for locals but for travelers making day trips or for extended stops on a vacation. The new high amp level 2 charging stations in Fredericksburg,TX are a good example of this--a destination for a few hours of eating and shopping for people driving there from Austin or San Antonio.