Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X optional tailpipe speaker and fog light speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sometimes worry EV too quite that pedestrians and people riding bicycle can't hear the car is coming.

I suggest Model X to add imitated tailpipe or fog light which is actually speakers.
It can produce V8 or V12 engine sounds, or maybe automatically activated when moving objects nearby are detected. The volume can be adjusted manually will be useful, and the function can be deactivated if no need.

Also those speakers can be used for outdoor events, like going to beach, BBQ, outdoor parties, etc. or for election broadcasting car.

Since the tailpipe is usually long, it might be very effective when designed as bass reflective chambers and should produce loud and deep solid bass too.

If Tesla finally doesn't provide this option, I would like to make this for Model X. Anyone want to develop this product together?

You're on your own, from my viewpoint. I've been driving electric for 3+ years now and the whole "pedestrian can't hear EVs" worry is a non-issue in my book.

I LIKE having a quiet car. It's one of the joys of electric. And I've noticed that pedestrians are just as likely to not notice an EV as they are to not notice my Jeep. Sometimes they're in their own world, so I watch for them.

And I'd like less noise pollution, not more. Just my two cents.

Reactions: spectrum
For good measure it should also have a small gasoline tank with a vaporizer (to imitate smoke and smell), a small oil container underneath the car that occasionally lets out a few drops of oil and heating under the hood to imitate waste heat from the engine (people might get scared and confused if snow collects here without melting).

You're on your own, from my viewpoint. I've been driving electric for 3+ years now and the whole "pedestrian can't hear EVs" worry is a non-issue in my book.

I LIKE having a quiet car. It's one of the joys of electric. And I've noticed that pedestrians are just as likely to not notice an EV as they are to not notice my Jeep. Sometimes they're in their own world, so I watch for them.

I'm with PB!!!

There have been a few times on my street where people are walking their kids/dogs in the street (we have no sidewalks) and they can't hear my car. Honking the horn is way to obnoxious (and startling to the neighbors).. so yes, I think having a sound I can trigger from inside the car to warn pedestrians would be most helpful. I think one of those vintage bicycle bell/ringer would do the trick. Ring-Ring!!! People would hear that sound, turn around, and get out of the way.

Like any of these: Electra Butterfly Ding Dong | Bicycling Magazine

electra-spinner-bell.jpg

I already have wires running from the nosecone to the cabin, I think I'll find a small electronic bell that runs on 12V, and put a small pushbutton in the cabin to trigger it. Much better than a horn.

Also, why limited to the Model X thread?

Also, why limited to the Model X thread?

Yep, there are Model S threads on this issue. And now you see what I see as an upcoming headache regarding forum organization - we're probably going to need a spot for things common to Model S and Model X, but people are still going to post in their respective forums. Heck, mods are busy enough as it is moving every bit of Tesla news out of the Model S forum and placing it under Tesla Motors.

Anyhoo. I left this here in Model X because it appears to be talking about a desired Model X option. Fine line, I know.

I am sometimes worry EV too quite that pedestrians and people riding bicycle can't hear the car is coming.

I suggest Model X to add imitated tailpipe or fog light which is actually speakers.
It can produce V8 or V12 engine sounds, or maybe automatically activated when moving objects nearby are detected. The volume can be adjusted manually will be useful, and the function can be deactivated if no need.

Also those speakers can be used for outdoor events, like going to beach, BBQ, outdoor parties, etc. or for election broadcasting car.

Since the tailpipe is usually long, it might be very effective when designed as bass reflective chambers and should produce loud and deep solid bass too.

If Tesla finally doesn't provide this option, I would like to make this for Model X. Anyone want to develop this product together?
Why not go all the way and drop the speakers for some real mechanical soundmaking device?

Last fall, I dreamt up an air pressure driven device that simulates a real combustion exhaust pipe.
Some trumpet-like pipe with a electronically controlled, perforated rotor inside to generate the intermittent pressure puffs.
Rotorspeed follows car speed, as will be in the future EV sound requirements. Different rotors could simulate different engines (4 to 12 cylinders, diesel truck to Ferrari-style howl).
Air pumps are small and use hardly any energy; a small pressure tank could fit anywhere.

Found no allies so far. So I dump the idea here in good faith that someone uses my idea for the benefit of us all.

Well if we have to go back in time and imitate old technology, why just go back to engines? Let's go with horses and imitate the clip-clop of hooves, with an occasional whinny or neigh thrown in for good measure. :)

Thumbs up to a light bicycle-style ringer tone, in addition to the horn. I'd like to have that available to use. People know that means something is near, it's not obnoxious, and it won't startle anyone.

Reactions: spectrum
Yes, that with the horse thing could be an idea as well, using speakers again.

My pipe thing also caters for those who need the suspense building sounds at the traffic lights, before crushing some (other) punks ego.

Of course that demographic doesn't own a Tesla yet, partly due the lack of impressive sound.

So probably once again, no allies here. :)

Absolutely agreed! This issue is a disguised way of putting EV's on the defensive. The majority of ICE cars on the road now are muffled enough to be silent except during hard acceleration anyway. And people could hear everything a lot better if we were to get rid of noisy Harleys and such!

Well if we have to go back in time and imitate old technology, why just go back to engines? Let's go with horses and imitate the clip-clop of hooves, with an occasional whinny or neigh thrown in for good measure. :)

Thumbs up to a light bicycle-style ringer tone, in addition to the horn. I'd like to have that available to use. People know that means something is near, it's not obnoxious, and it won't startle anyone.
If you're going back to horses, I don't want to see your new tail pipe or the emissions it delivers.

I ride a road bicycle and to be honest, I normally can't hear normal cars until they are nearly in my peripheral vision unless they are loud trucks. Always look both ways.

Agree. Mostly just listen for tire noise anyway. Don't really care about any artificial noise although I know it is probably coming. I just wish all cars had day lights on all the time.