Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Factory Custom Painted Model S !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was at the Denver Service Center and saw a new from-the-factory custom-painted model S awaiting delivery. It's Purple !

purple model s.jpg

• Love
Reactions: David99 and MP3Mike
I wonder how much Tesla charges for the "special handling" they have to give those body panels. Of course the outside paint shop charges would be in addition to Teslas charges. Added up, that is likely a very costly paint job.

When I casually inquired about it a year ago (when I bought my Model S) they said the two that had been done before cost $15,000 extra, plus whatever the cost of the paint/labor from the paint shop was... so basically more than $15,000 depending on what sort of paint job you want done.

When I casually inquired about it a year ago (when I bought my Model S) they said the two that had been done before cost $15,000 extra, plus whatever the cost of the paint/labor from the paint shop was... so basically more than $15,000 depending on what sort of paint job you want done.

They have a rack, like a trailer that they put the panels on, en masse, and send to the paint place. The entire job cost me a little over $10K two years ago. I can't imagine that it has gone up 30% to 50% in that time.

Doing repaint costs about the same, but repaint misses some spots, like inside the door joint at the hinge, etc. etc. I guess repaint somehow lowers the value, while "factory" paint, even tho painted at a nearby paint shop off Tesla property, increases the value. Donut matter. I had to have something other than black, white, grey or red when the sigs first came out, and I traded the P for Chocolate pearl. Twas worth it.

Probably cheaper to get it wrapped after purchase with a new color. They do incredible work these days. I think I heard a quote for $4800.

I saw an all-orange Model S a couple months back that was obviously wrapped (the nosecone was wrapped too...). Other than the nosecone, I thought it looked really good (my dad had an orange VW square back and my neighbors had an orange Suburban when I was a kid, so I guess I have soft spot for orange cars...)

I saw an all-orange Model S a couple months back that was obviously wrapped (the nosecone was wrapped too...). Other than the nosecone, I thought it looked really good (my dad had an orange VW square back and my neighbors had an orange Suburban when I was a kid, so I guess I have soft spot for orange cars...)

I sort of like the idea of wrapping the car. You'd feel like you have a new car even if it's pretty old. I have an 18yr old Honda Del Sol that looks brand new. But it could stand a new paint job. A wrap would be fun. But I wouldn't go orange. :)