Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Hawaii Tesla owners looking to sell their Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Is anyone in HI looking to sell their Model S (any batt size)? I saw one at the Porsche store in Honolulu, but by the time I called them, it was gone. I tried talking to the showroom, but the 60s aren't for sell yet and the P85s are $20k out of my budget. I'm looking for a loaded 60 or 85 under $85k.
Thanks!

I think you're best bet would be to find out when the 60's at the service center become eligible for sale and get there first. Otherwise, good luck with getting someone to part with theirs. Perhaps nanimac may use this opportunity to upgrade to a P85? :wink:

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that I tried to purchase an inventory car from the Tesla Showroom here on the island, but because thee inventory cars have to be on the ground at the region for 90 days before the sales manager can sell them, none of the 60s that she has on hand are available to be sold for a couple of more months.

I think you're best bet would be to find out when the 60's at the service center become eligible for sale and get there first. Otherwise, good luck with getting someone to part with theirs. Perhaps nanimac may use this opportunity to upgrade to a P85? :wink:

haha..the thought crossed my mind but I'm holding out for my next S in a few years...they might have a spacex rocket engine by then :scared:

Couchaj, did u check on an inventory car from the mainland too?

Nanimac, yes, I checked the mainland. I was told by my OA that Tesla won't sell (or ship) an inventory vehicle to someone outside the region the vehicle is located, so I would have to go to the mainland, buy it (possibly paying taxes there), then ship it back myself. He said he requested "executive approval" but was denied. I'm studying for the bar exam this summer, so I don't have time to take trips to the mainland to buy one there, plus, if you add in the cost of the flights to and from, the potentially higher taxes (CA had a few that I liked, but the tax rate is double HI's), and the cost of shipping, it comes up to more than a lot of the discounts I've seen.
I'm either going to have to wait for the one I ordered to get here in late September or wait for one of the inventory cars here to come available.

@Couchaj, Most of the time when Tesla folks talk about regions, they mean Canada, Europe, China/Japan. I think US is pretty much considered the same region. Would not be the first person on the mainland that didn't know Hawaii was part of the good old U.S. of A. (Years ago, I was host to a large team of contractors working here. They used to ask me how much to send mail to the U.S. I told them a dollar a letter. I took their money and mailed their letters and postcards. It was weeks before they realized I was messing with them.) DDM - Dem Dumb Mainlanders.

As for paying taxes in another state, you could if you wanted to. I've done this a couple of times. If you are military you know you can register it in your home state. That's where you could pay taxes if they charge taxes. If you register it here, you are going to pay the 4.5 Excise tax (that's about $3500-4000). Plus the $400 license plate. If you buy it in another state and pay for it there, you avoid paying their taxes by showing proof of residence in another state, such as providing copies of one or two utility bills from where you are living.

But even if you buy from TM, you are still going to pay shipping - even if you pick it up in Fremont right off the assembly line.

I confirmed this with Luke from our service center last time I talked to him. TM no longer transfers cars between the service centers as the mainland was sucking all of the loaners from us as soon as they were available. The red Sig got sold this way as well.

I confirmed this with Luke from our service center last time I talked to him. TM no longer transfers cars between the service centers as the mainland was sucking all of the loaners from us as soon as they were available. The red Sig got sold this way as well.

bummer...didn't realize they stopped transferring inventory cars.

couchaj, Audi had a red S85 a couple months ago. Probably gone but worth a call to them.

There's a couple of people on the TM forum that also have been looking for cars. When they called TM HQ, HQ referred them back to their local SC. It appears that there are few unclaimed cars at the factory these days. I would guess that with the demand not meeting supply that any unclaimed cars are being shipped to SCs, And once there, they resupply the SC as loaners until sold. It makes no sense really to be selling loaners then shipping them again across country. That's an immediate $1000+/- cost to someone. Example, if TM shipped a loaner to HI just to let someone on mainland buy, there's the trouble and expense of putting it in an container and shipping cost again.

StephenM, are you referring to a red Sig or the MC Red 60 that they had 3 May when we met out there? Gee, I just don't know why anyone would be MC Red. Must be crazy or something.

Nanimac, yes, I checked the mainland. I was told by my OA that Tesla won't sell (or ship) an inventory vehicle to someone outside the region the vehicle is located, so I would have to go to the mainland, buy it (possibly paying taxes there), then ship it back myself. He said he requested "executive approval" but was denied. I'm studying for the bar exam this summer, so I don't have time to take trips to the mainland to buy one there, plus, if you add in the cost of the flights to and from, the potentially higher taxes (CA had a few that I liked, but the tax rate is double HI's), and the cost of shipping, it comes up to more than a lot of the discounts I've seen.
I'm either going to have to wait for the one I ordered to get here in late September or wait for one of the inventory cars here to come available.

On the bright side, your wait is "only" 3 months for your custom ordered car to show up which is a lot better than the 6-12 months that a lot of us had to wait before production started. ;)

It appears that there are few unclaimed cars at the factory these days. I would guess that with the demand not meeting supply that any unclaimed cars are being shipped to SC

Tesla demand continues to exceed available production which is why there is a 3-4 month wait after ordering an S.

So why do you say "with the demand not meeting supply"?

Thanks guys. I found a grey P85 in CA. I'm having it shipped next week. It has 19" wheels though, so I might look to upgrade.

aj, Is you car still a go? Is this the one you are talking about in your thread on TM? Some of that stuff your OA said simply does not make sense. I belive you, but what he/she saids sounds wrong.

I guess you already know. There's a guy going by the id of LiveWGrad that is selling a P85+ for 93K on TM. 9 months old, 11K miles. He didn't say the color. But being a 85+ its already got those 21" you wanted.

Last edited: