Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Idea - "Fire and Forget" climate control on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveVa

2012 Sig Perf #236 VIN#484; 2018 P100D; 2021 Plaid
May 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
One app that I would definitely use is a quick way to turn on climate control.

With the current iPhone app it takes more than a minute to launch the app, wait for the vehicle to wake up, connect and then select the "turn on" option from the climate control screen. I would love a "fire and forget" app that had a single function. Turn on the climate control. It would then go through the connection steps with the car in the background. Notification if it failed via SMS would be great, but not really required since it would probably be 95% effective most of the time.

An app-less approach would be to allow the control/climante commands via text message to a server - It could be configured to only allow receive enabled commands from certain source phone numbers.

Seems like an easy apps for all those developers that have created alternate mobile apps. Thoughts?

With the current iPhone app it takes more than a minute to launch the app, wait for the vehicle to wake up, connect and then select the "turn on" option from the climate control screen. I would love a "fire and forget" app that had a single function. Turn on the climate control. It would then go through the connection steps with the car in the background. Notification if it failed via SMS would be great, but not really required since it would probably be 95% effective most of the time.

An app-less approach would be to allow the control/climante commands via text message to a server - It could be configured to only allow receive enabled commands from certain source phone numbers.

Seems like an easy apps for all those developers that have created alternate mobile apps. Thoughts?

Yes, they need this. I rarely use the app for climate because by the time the app wakes the car up, I'm already there.

I'd like this with a preset timer or schedule. I often know hours in advance what time I will be at the car ready to go. But alas, I rarely remember with 15 minutes remaining to pull out the phone and turn it on manually.

I'd like this with a preset timer or schedule. I often know hours in advance what time I will be at the car ready to go. But alas, I rarely remember with 15 minutes remaining to pull out the phone and turn it on manually.
I use the Java program's schedule feature to turn the climate on... like a programmable thermostat. I'm thinking I should add the feature to vent/close the roof to the schedule options just so I can put that in the schedule as well.

I use the Java program's schedule feature to turn the climate on... like a programmable thermostat. I'm thinking I should add the feature to vent/close the roof to the schedule options just so I can put that in the schedule as well.

Yes, however I am often not sitting in front of a computer in enough time to update visibletesla when on the go. Hopefully it will make it into a phone app.

Ordered my MS on June 1st and have been thinking about it quite a bit. Does the app allow you to turn on the rear camera and broadcast this back to the phone? That would be a nice feature.

Not yet. Don't know if that is planned yet. Would be nice. Especially if someone bumps you in a parking deck and it could record their plate.

Until they fix this simply make it the first thing you do when you pick up your phone in the morning to unplug it. Just like plugging your phone in at night becomes a habit this will too. They could make it easier and hopefully 6.0 addresses some of this.