Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this really a positive image?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David W

Sep 14, 2009
In his review of your Roadster in the Daily Mail, James Martin states an experience with cyclists:

Twenty minutes into my test drive I pulled round a leafy bend, enjoying the birdsong - and spotted those damned Spider-Man cyclists. Knowing they wouldn't hear me coming, I stepped on the gas, waited until the split second before I overtook them, then gave them an almighty blast on the horn at the exact same time I passed them at speed.

The look of sheer terror as they tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen in my rear-view mirror. I think this could be the car for me.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists clearly states in its Cycling Factsheet:

"
Sounding your horn when you are close will startle them (cyclists), maybe into swerving in front of you. They will usually be aware of you already! Slow down around cyclists and drive smoothly."

What a shame that this individual is driving a car with such an ignorance of safe and proper driving technique, never mind common courtesy for other road users.

I wonder whether the ability to drive in this irresponsible, bullying and aggressive driving really illustrates a positive feature of the Roaster?

Are you happy with this article and the image of Roadster drivers it portrays?

I had a really positive experience with a cyclist yesterday. I was out in perfect weather test driving a leisurely rural route for a future group drive and passed a cyclist. I waited until the oncoming lane was clear, then gave him a wide berth as I passed him, assuming it was possible he was unaware of me.

Shortly after that, I came to a stop sign and just camped there while composing a tweet. I saw him come up behind, so I waved him forward to let him know I wouldn't mind if he cut around me.

He pulled up to the passenger door and asked, "how do you like the Tesla?" I love that when the top is off, cyclists can pull up beside me and easily chat, even if the windows are rolled up. He said something about the car being quiet, and I asked him what the experience was. He said he heard the usual road/tire noise as I passed him but that he hadn't heard me farther back. We chatted a bit more, he wished me a good drive and I wished him a good ride.

It was a really fun experience and I felt more camaraderie with him, both of us enjoying the beautiful day and scenery in a quiet, zero emissions way, than I would in a gas burner.

Last edited:

I read these kinds of sentiments too often ... and wish the authors would be forced to take a two hour bicycle spin on some busy road in their local city.

...while riding my bicycle on Labor Day, I was hit by a car. It was a low speed thing, and for that I am grateful, but accompanied by screeching tires and all the rest. It was no fun.

I don't feel the author's comments reflect on Tesla or the Roadster at all. They're not the 1st to leave behind conventional automobile noise (the Prius comes to mind).

As for the fact that the author enjoyed his actions? I pretty much lost all respect I may have ever had for him. It's one thing to feel the way he does - it's another to feel comfortable sharing such inhumanity with the rest of us.

I've been honked at by a passing car while riding a bicycle. Let me just say it's not funny. This has nothing to do with the car, it's only because there are a few incredibly rotten induhviduals out there. The good news is, most such low-lifes are far too stupid to consider an electric car in the first place, so there's no need to worry:biggrin:

David W wrote:
In his review of your Roadster in the Daily Mail,...

It should be noted that this is not a Tesla sponsored site. We are merely fans of the good the company is doing and the cars the are producing.

...James Martin states an experience with cyclists:..."...The look of sheer terror as they tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen..."

James Martin is a douchebag.

Last edited:
As an avid cyclist, the review just turned my stomach, and it's good to see Tesla go aggressively after the issue.

I want to have more Roadsters replace the noisy (and dirty) crotch rockets along Skyline Blvd. where I ride. Tire noise is more than enough warning while not detracting from a peaceful morning.

And the appology...

James Martin - Chef

Regarding the The Tesla Roadster Article...
May I take this opportunity to apologize for any offence I have caused through the article in last weekend’s Mail on Sunday. It was never my intention to offend the many cyclists who share our roads across the country. What was intended to be a humorous piece was clearly misjudged. Further more I do not condone any form of reckless driving.

Once again, I am sincerely sorry for any upset caused in relation to this article.

James Martin

Honestly, the phrase "out of all proportion" comes to mind here. Yes he shouldn't have said it. I'm sure it was a very poor taste joke, but costing the company friends?

I think by stoking it up, it will cost the EV/cycling community more friends.

One story claimed they couldn't find the apology on his site. Really? It's on the first page you hit after selecting flash or HTML...