Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt Shasta charger to Bend, OR worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as usual I am planning out our weekend trip. With the MS I'm thinking 217 road miles will not cut it with even a full 265 mile charge. Has anyone attempted this? If so, at what speed? I've easily approached 90mph and certainly other cars were safely traveling 110. From home I'd charge Vacaville, corning, shasta then…bend.

I charged in Klamath Falls at the KOA, Then it's no problem. I have also gone to Bend from the Springfield SC. Easy on a 90% charge. It is probably about the same as spending time in KF. Could not find any thing in Bend better than 30 amp J-plug. There is a ChaDeMo in Bend, but that doesn't work for us yet. Good luck

So was hesitant on this as well -- so much so that on my trip north I did go "around" - Mt Shasta to Grants Pass to Springfield then east to Bend. Heading south though ... i charged fully at the new HPWC at the Riverhouse hotel in downtown Bend (just go talk to front desk -- they have to have Engineering turn on the power to the HPWCs) the night before.... by the time I got to SunRiver on 97 South I decided to top off at their HPWCs (near the Homestead bldg) ... it was a gorgeous day (started at 60 degrees) so went without A/C .... arrived into Mt Shasta SC with about 55 miles remaining on my range (started about 255 at SunRiver). The last 30 miles going south (right around the mountain itself) are the most draining (due to grade)..... just thought I would share. I would now do the 97 route each time. Cuts of about 6 hrs+ of travel time.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
So as usual I am planning out our weekend trip. With the MS I'm thinking 217 road miles will not cut it with even a full 265 mile charge. Has anyone attempted this? If so, at what speed? I've easily approached 90mph and certainly other cars were safely traveling 110. From home I'd charge Vacaville, corning, shasta then…bend.
Not sure about the trip out to Bend, but I think you'd be ok because Shasta->Grants Pass nets you really good Wh/mile (less than 300 Wh/mile at 70mph on 21" rims) because you start at a decent elevation. However...getting back from Bend->Shasta could be tough.

Not sure about the trip out to Bend, but I think you'd be ok because Shasta->Grants Pass nets you really good Wh/mile (less than 300 Wh/mile at 70mph on 21" rims) because you start at a decent elevation. However...getting back from Bend->Shasta could be tough.

Remember that potential energy is a known factor that can be added or subtracted from the rated miles in the battery. Although not exact, the approximation of 6 miles per 1,000 feet is pretty good. If you primarily use regen and not friction brakes or high speed aerodynamics to control speed down the hills, ups and downs almost net out.

I call the rated miles in the battery corrected by the elevation change to the destination "Cottonwood Rated Miles." For example, the Silverthorne Supercharger is about 2,000 feet higher than Pagosa Springs; that is equal to 12 rated miles. If I leave Silverthorne with 250 rated miles, then with elevation corrected, I have 262 Cottonwood Rated Miles for the trip; going the other way, if I leave Pagosa with 250 rated miles, then with elevation corrected, I have 238 Cottonwood Rated Miles. That trip has two major passes and one moderate pass, Wolf Creek, Fremont, and Poncha Passes; just using elevation difference to the destination works well for all of those ups and downs.

If you really want to track this on a trip, there are several free apps that will give you GPS elevation from your smart phone. Just look up the elevation of your destination and remember 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet; subtract from rated miles in the battery if you are going up, and add if you are going down.

BTW, it's 222 actual miles from my house in Pagosa to the Silverthorne Supercharger. I have hypermiled this successfully both ways, but I prefer to drive a little faster and stop at the 70 Amp J-Plug in Salida. To do this run non-stop, I usually drive at the speed limit or a little over, but set a hypermile limit on my speed at 59 mph or less until I know that I will make it.

Thanks. Great discussion. I especially like the concept of the Cottonwood Rated Miles.

I plan to go both ways over this route in my next trip to California. I'm thinking by being careful the Model S85 will make it. For those living on the East side of the Cascades, this is the normal way to/from California. The south end of the route joins I-5 at Weed, CA, which is just a few miles from the Mt Shasta Supercharger. The Dalles Supercharger is the north end of the route.

Faster chargers in Klamath Falls should take away range anxiety. A HPWC, a high amperage Level-2 point or one of Oregon's West Coast Electric Highway locations (Chadamo adaptor also required) in Klamath Falls would help a lot.

Curious if Skyhawk or other have tried this again without stops in SunRiver, or going the Shasta --> Bend direction. I'm headed that way in a few weeks and given the temperatures, have concerns that I'll make it. The alternative is through Springfield but it definitely adds some distance.

I am in Mt. Shasta tonight, staying overnight. Heading to Bend tomorrow. Heavy rain is forecast, but so is a tailwind of 20-30mph. I'll post an update after I complete the stretch.

I wanted to post tonight to make a recommendation for a fabulous Indian restaurant about 0.4 miles from the Superchargers. Currently they're open only for dinner, but they're a delicious option a notch above the closer dining choices. Service was excellent, as was the food.

One good thing is that the speed limit is 55 on 97 in Oregon and it is enforced. The trips I've done thru there (pre Tesla) I never went above 60-62.

Yeah. Slow down, you'll make it. You don't have to do ten over like other cars. Follow the trucks. I saw a semi pulled over in front of about 20 cars, because HE was doing 60 in the 55, and leading everyone else to "speed". I would go slower on 97, too, until you are sure your buffer is not dropping. Rain really cuts into range.

Tesla is thinking about putting in a HP charger somewhere between Mt. Shasta and Bend. As in *thinking*. No decisions as far as I know, but we need something between Klamath Falls to La Pine. It is a stretch to make it to Bend, unless you go all the way around and in from Sisters, a long extra drive.

I've made it here successfully. I range charged 100% (260 RM after a year!), and preheated the cabin to 82 degrees. Then I got in, turned climate off, seat heat to max, and began. It was raining about 60% of the journey and temperatures ranged from 34-42F. For the first 100 miles of the ~217 mile trip, I didn't break over 55mph. Note that there are several sections of 97 where the speed limit is 65. Thankfully I was pretty much alone on the road, so I didn't feel traffic pressure behind me. After 100 miles, I increased to 60mph and began to use climate control sparingly, but mostly kept it off. Once I was within 40 miles of Bend, I still had 45% battery life left and turned the heat to 68 and continued without worrying. Made it here with 16% to spare. I think it's very doable, especially if the roads are clear and temperatures are reasonable.

I'll report if there are any differences on my return after the weekend.

Bend-Shasta was a tougher trip. Heavy rain and a stiff headwind made it where I had to stop to charge in Klamath Falls. That said, I checked out the newish charger at the Oregon Institute of Technology. 80A/240V. I didn't read the sign that told you to push the button to go from 70A to 80A, but even at 70A, I was getting 50mph of charge. I have dual chargers. Either way, it's a better option than the 14-50s in town, and it's free. 30 minutes there was enough to get me to Shasta comfortably.

My wife and I drove up to Ontario, Oregon (near Boise), to open up a 70 amp charger in Burns. This meant we needed to go from Shasta to Bend, 220 miles. I find the trip is faster to cruise at about 5 mph over speed, and not need top up charging at some remote RV park, so that's what we do. I left Shasta with a 30 mile buffer (220 miles needed on a 250 mile charge) and arrived at Bend (The Riverhouse) with a 50 mile buffer. On the return trip, the total elevation rises a bit and we had a headwind, so I arrived back at Shasta with a 30 mile buffer, leaving bend with 240 miles for a 220 mile trip. I did drive slower in Oregon on the way back because of traffic, also, so I still picked up a few miles of buffer.

As for the other part of my trip, Milli and I went to Burns, which is half way between Bend and Ontario, Oregon. There is NO charging planned by Tesla along this corridor, so a couple friends and myself found people we could work with and now there is a 70 amp charger half way between Bend, and Ontario, Or. The people there are super nice, lots of little shops, places to eat are a short walk down the street.

TESLA NEEDS TO THINK ABOUT THIS BLACK HOLE in their SC plan - along with others, of course. There is no way to get from Bend across the state to Boise area and thence up to Walla Walla, Spokane, etc. or south to Winnemucca and Reno. So, we are working on it.

Burns Charger fxsz.jpg

As for the other part of my trip, Milli and I went to Burns, which is half way between Bend and Ontario, Oregon. There is NO charging planned by Tesla along this corridor, so a couple friends and myself found people we could work with and now there is a 70 amp charger half way between Bend, and Ontario, Or. The people there are super nice, lots of little shops, places to eat are a short walk down the street.

TESLA NEEDS TO THINK ABOUT THIS BLACK HOLE in their SC plan - along with others, of course. There is no way to get from Bend across the state to Boise area and thence up to Walla Walla, Spokane, etc. or south to Winnemucca and Reno. So, we are working on it.

Great work! Such deeds bring wonderful EV karma!!

Thanks!!!

@roblab, That is awesome. I was actually planning to contact the Harney Co. Chamber of Commerce to see if they were interested in contacting Tesla about some kind of charging situation. I live in Boise, and we did take our gas car for the trip over to Bend last time. Of course, I'll still have to consider if I want to add the second charger to our car to really make use of that.

Klamath Falls NEEDS a Supercharger.

And Ashland.

I agree. There's a camping trip I'd love to go on but there's no way I can drive there. It's only about 30 miles south of Bend on 97 near La Pine but without a supercharger in Bend I don't think it's easily doable unless I wait forever at an RV park. I'd love to see a supercharger in Klamath Falls and another one in Bend, OR. There's another camping trip I go on near Bridgeport, CA that I can drive to in my S for the first time since there's now a supercharger in Gardnerville, NV.

It looks like with the supercharger in Detroit, OR that one may be planned for Bend for coming south.