Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA EV incentive program online; Model S explicitly listed as covered.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tga

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2014
New Hampshire
Massachusetts announced the details of the MOR-EV program yesterday, offering rebates for purchases of BEV's as well as plug-in hybrids, fuel cell vehicles, and electric motorcycles: Patrick Administration Announces $3.4M for EV Programs

The Model S is specifically listed as eligible for the full $2500 rebate: Eligible Vehicles List | MOR-EV

Vehicles purchased on or after 6/18 are eligible. You need to submit the application within 3 months of purchase. Funds first come, first served.

The program also includes funds to offset installation costs for public charging stations at workplaces, non-profits, and state agencies.

EDIT: Although it looks like only 744 full rebates are available - $1,860,000 currently in the fund - Funding | MOR-EV

Last edited:
This will not be a decision go or nogo for anyone contemplating buying a Model S.
The $7,500 federal rebate is still in effect, though you do have to wait until you file your taxes.
Most of us bought our Model S's without any MA incentive.
Nice that they setup the program, but it's not a show stopper if the funding runs out.

This will not be a decision go or nogo for anyone contemplating buying a Model S.
The $7,500 federal rebate is still in effect, though you do have to wait until you file your taxes.
Most of us bought our Model S's without any MA incentive.
Nice that they setup the program, but it's not a show stopper if the funding runs out.
Of course it's not a make or break decision, but if you can get back $2500 for a purchase you were going to make anyway, why not? I'd probably buy even without the Fed rebate.

The program has been live for 8 days and allocated $55,000 as of this morning. If that rate holds constant, funding should last until mid-March, 2015. Although a bigger sample set is probably needed for an accurate estimate.

I wonder if you'd have to be a MA resident for this. I live in NH and work in MA and pay MA state income tax via my "old friend" Form 1-NR. Some tax deductions are disallowed if you're a non-resident.

I wonder if you'd have to be a MA resident for this. I live in NH and work in MA and pay MA state income tax via my "old friend" Form 1-NR. Some tax deductions are disallowed if you're a non-resident.
Yes, you must be a MA resident and register the vehicle in MA. See: Frequently Asked Questions | MOR-EV

This is not an income tax refund/credit; the state sends a check within 6 weeks of rebate approval.

Be thankful you don't have to pay MA sales tax (unless you take delivery at the MA store/SC); that has already put you ahead of us.

I was hoping for delivery on my birthday (June 16). It didn't happen till the 24th, but a super birthday present of $2500 makes me very happy - which I wouldn't have gotten had if my car had been delivered when I wanted it! The process is super easy and can be competed entirely by email. They respond when they get your application, they respond when they get your supporting documents, and I'm told they will respond within 10 days to let you know you're approved!

Two months into the program and 25% of the available funds have been reserved. 196 total rebates of which 10 are for a Tesla. At this rate, it looks like the program will last into early next year. So I am feeling a lot more comfortable about my October delivery. I am a bit surprised that only 10 Teslas are included. That's only a little above one per week. I would have thought there would be more.

Interesting that no checks have been mailed. I guess the company running the program intends to use up all 75 days that they are allowed before sending the checks.

I have an X reservation due for shipment next fall. At current rates this program will be toast by then. Does anyone know if there are plans to extend it, or, hail mary here, whether there's any way to reserve a spot if I provide a proof of deposit?

No, sorry. Must purchase on or after 6/18/2014 and submit request within three months.

I think there was about a 3 month period, beforehand, if I am not mistaken. That was according to a OA, who was trying to explain the initial cue of applicants that quickly took it to 10% spent. Now that the web site says "on or after 6/2014..", I wouldn't know how to explain how they got up to 10%, in two weeks. At this point, it doesn't matter. You would have to have filed.