Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X optional center console - walk through in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the centre console can be optional too, not just the 3rd row seat.

I like being able to walking through between front seats and back seats; so that in case if I can't open the front doors because parking lot too narrow, then i can walk to 2nd row seat and use the falcon doors;

or when the parking lot is too low when passengers can't open up the falcon doors, then they can walk to front and use the front doors.

If the parking lot is both too narrow and too low, then all can climb out from the tailgate. :)

Untitled-1.jpg

I know many people like centre console, but I don't need it, even if they included it for free. A walk through design inside the car is very useful if this is used as a family car or minivan.

- - - Updated - - -

the falcon wing design suppose to let the car parks at very tight space and still able to walk out.
but how does driver go out? he must be able to easy walk to back and use the falcon doors. right?

i mean the Model X falcon wing door; the photo of Model S with center console removed is just to show the idea.

I think part of the issue is that the 2nd row door is longer, so if it opened in the traditional manner, it would require more space to open.

- - - Updated - - -

i wanna walking out from the falcon door, e.g. when raining, or when another car next to me too close and i can't open the door from driver's door.

This is something we use quite often with our VW today. (Carawelle) 1.87meter tall, and 1.4m inside.
With my 1.75 i can sort if "walk" from front to rear.
One problem with a lower car like the X is that you have to crawl instead og walk, so more useful in theory than practical.
Easyer to look for a better parking spot, or squeeze out front doors.

I am at Hong Kong, and there are some car parks limited to 1.8m height; not many but a few percents; so it will have problem for falcon wing door. these car parks may not have other bigger carparks nearby; and cannot park on street.

also there are ever more car parks here very narrow; maybe over 30-50%; i think some merely around 2 meters, more or less; so use the falcon wing door in fact better than traditional doors or slide doors.

I hope inside Model X the height will be similar to Audi Q7 or Benz ML, then walk through by bending is still possible. inside of most minivan is also around 1.3-1.4 meter only, children can walk comfortably and adults can walk with bending knees or waist; certainly no use it everyday, but in some occasions, some people may really find it useful.

I like being able to walking through between front seats and back seats; so that in case if I can't open the front doors because parking lot too narrow, then i can walk to 2nd row seat and use the falcon doors;

or when the parking lot is too low when passengers can't open up the falcon doors, then they can walk to front and use the front doors.

If the parking lot is both too narrow and too low, then all can climb out from the tailgate. :)

View attachment 51837

I know many people like centre console, but I don't need it, even if they included it for free. A walk through design inside the car is very useful if this is used as a family car or minivan.

- - - Updated - - -

the falcon wing design suppose to let the car parks at very tight space and still able to walk out.
but how does driver go out? he must be able to easy walk to back and use the falcon doors. right?

Ok, reality Good idea, i also know this from VW t5 and yes it is nice to walk around, but what you really need then:

Separate (small) armrests, minimum on the driver seat, better on both.

Greetings Earl

i mean the Model X falcon wing door; the photo of Model S with center console removed is just to show the idea.

I understood that. I was replying to your comment of "the falcon wing design suppose to let the car parks at very tight space and still able to walk out. but how does driver go out? he must be able to easy walk to back and use the falcon doors."

The tight space space would still, in theory, allow the front driver door to open. It just is not enough for a longer traditional door to swing out. Hence the falcon wing door.

The center console that you're referring to is where the ventilation duct is on the Model S. I'm sure my rear seat passengers would miss it. To eliminate it on the Model X, they'll have to find some other way to get air to the back.

View attachment 51837

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to say I love this idea. If were on a trip & the wife needs to jack the kids up for acting crazy. She can get to the back easily. This would also imply attached arm rests on the drivers and front passengers seats. Several Mini vans have this configuration.