Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD Model 'S' - importing ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guests > With the RHD Model 'S' delivery imminent in the next few months I have both a (technical and political) question.

Technical :Will the RHD which is coming into AUS be the same hardware 'specifications' as that which is currently being delivered to the UK, as it is my understanding Tesla's onboard computers can be programmed to do almost anything, except make you a coffee. Reason I ask is what if a UK resident whom own's a Model 'S' wanted to immigrate with his Tesla will it work 100% in Australia ?

Political : From my understanding someone whom imported a slightly damaged used Model 'S' from the USA into Germany has experienced an uphill task regards repairs and also unlocking the onboard computer, as Tesla say it is different to the European model and their techs in Germany are not really up to speed on an import.

How different is the model 'S' ex;USA and ex:Germany/Europe.

Also back to the UK Tesla vehicle, if it was imported, would the Tesla guys in AUS be willing to support it !!

I believe these questions although not really relavent today, as numbers increase it could be feasable that owners may want to stay with their vehicles if they move around the world

Cheers: Peter

Guests > With the RHD Model 'S' delivery imminent in the next few months I have both a (technical and political) question.

Technical :Will the RHD which is coming into AUS be the same hardware 'specifications' as that which is currently being delivered to the UK, as it is my understanding Tesla's onboard computers can be programmed to do almost anything, except make you a coffee. Reason I ask is what if a UK resident whom own's a Model 'S' wanted to immigrate with his Tesla will it work 100% in Australia ?

Political : From my understanding someone whom imported a slightly damaged used Model 'S' from the USA into Germany has experienced an uphill task regards repairs and also unlocking the onboard computer, as Tesla say it is different to the European model and their techs in Germany are not really up to speed on an import.

How different is the model 'S' ex;USA and ex:Germany/Europe.

Also back to the UK Tesla vehicle, if it was imported, would the Tesla guys in AUS be willing to support it !!

I believe these questions although not really relavent today, as numbers increase it could be feasable that owners may want to stay with their vehicles if they move around the world

Cheers: Peter

I have to say, when you factor in the cost of freight and all the issues that come with importing a car into Australia (a very hard task) - wouldn't you just sell it in your country of origin and then buy another one here? Either new or used?

I believe SteveWest is doing just this as he does not want to wait until Tesla gets around to New Zealand plus he wants the child seats that are not currently legal in Australia so won't be offered here.
IIRC the differences are very minor and the units can be changed quite easily to metric. Just don't show the Australian authorities about the ability to change back to imperial or there could be problems.
The Tesla party line is no support for a vehicle outside it's intended market but I don't know how hard they would push the line.
It should be noted that in Australia all new cars are issued with a compliance plate and cars imported second hand without them are worth substantially (30% - 40%) less.

I was thinking more along the line that when someone (non-australian) comes in as an immigrant or even a returning Australian being away for a number of years returns that there is no duty or other levies, generally a vehicle can come in tariff free ? Peter

Importing a relatively new car into Australia just isn't cost effective. Unless you have owned the car for considerable time overseas then the import duties are considerable. Then you have the problems of diminished value - imported cars are worth much less. As a long time Classic Porsche owner and a moderator of a Porsche forum, I've seen this question countless times. The cars that I've seen from the UK generally suffer quite badly due to the salt on the roads corroding the suspension - including the aluminium suspension components. Then there are problems that the cars aren't actually identical in many respects. Finally, with the Tesla, you are looking at a single shop for all support, making things difficult. Who's to say if the computers are physically the same - my 928 has many parts that are unique to this market.

Maybe in 10 years time - maybe. My guess is that it still wouldn't be worthwhile.

I believe SteveWest is doing just this as he does not want to wait until Tesla gets around to New Zealand plus he wants the child seats that are not currently legal in Australia so won't be offered here.
IIRC the differences are very minor and the units can be changed quite easily to metric.
Given the close timing of the UK and Australian releases, and general corporate laziness, I'm betting that there are few - if any - differences between the UK and AU models. Possibly different 3G frequencies?

We don't have the same stigma with imported cars in New Zealand. All of our cars are imported, and 50% of our fleet are imported used. My Model S will effectively be NZ new, since Tesla are "delivering" it to me unregistered and tax free at their European distribution centre.

Dont get me wrong I'm an AVID Tesla Fan & Supporter ;

But playing devils advocate. On one hand Tesla is fighting the status quo in the USA to get their business model introduced across the USA and worldwide and complaining when some states make it difficult, then on the other hand Tesla make it difficult for Tesla owners and potential owners to teleport their vehicles inter state and to others countries and not forthcoming and standard in their after sales service and maintainance.

It is revolutionary that Tesla has now released their patents, it would be refreshing if they removed all roadblocks with regards supporting their vehicles worldwide regardless of the country or state they were purchased in. I believe that would enhance their status even more. They are working towards integrating their Superchargers to others I understand.

Just a thought > Regards, Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Steve > So correct me if I'm wrong. Your Model 'S' is not comng via AUS ! Where about in Europe is the distribution center you mention, is it Tillberg Holland or other location Cheers> Peter in Upper Hutt, NZ

Steve (and other Kiwis):
My proselytization of Teslas has certainly included to my siblings - the one in Netherlands was easy (9km to a Supercharger there!); my sister in Dunedin has been tougher. Can you help me out a bit with information on where - esp on South Island - one can expect to find high-amp electricity? Do NZ RV parks have 40A and 50A outlets? Will auto mechanics' shops, with their welders, perhaps be receptive to selling electricity to someone driving a slick-looking vehicle? With your Roadster, did you find it relatively easy to install an appropriately-sized charging unit in your garage?

Thanks!

Hi Steve > So correct me if I'm wrong. Your Model 'S' is not comng via AUS ! Where about in Europe is the distribution center you mention, is it Tillberg Holland or other location Cheers> Peter in Upper Hutt, NZ
Yes, Tilburg, Netherlands.

Steve (and other Kiwis):
My proselytization of Teslas has certainly included to my siblings - the one in Netherlands was easy (9km to a Supercharger there!); my sister in Dunedin has been tougher. Can you help me out a bit with information on where - esp on South Island - one can expect to find high-amp electricity? Do NZ RV parks have 40A and 50A outlets? Will auto mechanics' shops, with their welders, perhaps be receptive to selling electricity to someone driving a slick-looking vehicle? With your Roadster, did you find it relatively easy to install an appropriately-sized charging unit in your garage?
EV charging infrastructure is virtually non existent in NZ. Check out this map: PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

The arrival of the Leaf and iMiEV have set us on the path of the (IMHO crappy) J1772 standard. If it was up to me I'd switch the whole country over to a three phase standard (i.e. 62196) but there is no political interest or will. In some ways it's totally selfish - I want the fastest possible Model S charging infrastructure, short of Superchargers arriving here.

I think the majority of NZ RV parks use those blue 16A sockets. But many industrial sites in NZ have high power sockets, e.g. Clipsal 56C532, which provide 3 phase x 32 A. I will definitely be making a plug for my UMC to suit.

At home I tend to trickle charge my Roadster with the 10A mobile charge cord, which easily covers my average daily charging requirement. I do have a J1772 from Juicepoint in my garage, but that is more frequently occupied by my wife's Leaf. I will definitely be sourcing a Type 2 (i.e. 62196) EVSE and having three phase installed at home. Not because I have to, but to get some experience working with them.

Last edited:
Plugshare has all the information worldwide on charging. I have just downloaded their Android App.

This is their facebook page as well: http://www.facebook.com/plugshare

It seems the only theoretically (fastcharge) in NZ is the one at NorthPower station in Whangarei ...

On the subject of Tesla Apps. Apart from those whom own a Tesla and are able to download Tesla's propriatary App for their vehicles, does anyone know if there is an open to the public App from Tesla which can be downloaded showing their Supercharger network. If not it might be opportune for Tesla to produce one, as with all the noise about the release of their patents it would be a great marketing tool in advance of the Supercharger network eventually being opened to all EV brands.

This is an interesting App for Google glass and Tesla owners
Tesla for Glass

Cheers > Peter

Last edited:
I would like to say as well that I know of another Roadster owner in NZ whom used these guys in Auckland to arrange his import and paper work.

K W Historics

I think you have it backwards. Ian Mirandah purchased his Roadster from Tesla, the same as me. Tesla contract KW to handle any straightforward servicing requirements. Oh, and AFAIK Ian has moved to the UK and taken his Roadster with him.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Steve, how do you go about getting a WOF for an EV in NZ?

Same as any car? I got my last one from Nissan Takapuna (I had a voucher)

I think you have it backwards. Ian Mirandah purchased his Roadster from Tesla, the same as me. Tesla contract KW to handle any straightforward servicing requirements. Oh, and AFAIK Ian has moved to the UK and taken his Roadster with him.

Yes Steve you are correct, I got the story A... about face. In essence KW Historics were used to facilitate importing on behalf of Tesla. I actually went for a drive with Ian in Wellie and that is what (switched me onto Tesla) and EV's in general. Yes Ian is now in UK with his Roadster.

I actually refered KWH to a German guy whom wanted to import his 'LHD' Roadster into NZ ex: Germany, but he has since delayed that option and is still in Europe.

So from my understanding the only Roadsters in NZ at this time are your's and one other (red one) which Chris Amon drove at a local racetrack or was that yours !!

Cheers > Peter

Plugshare has all the information worldwide on charging. I have just downloaded their Android App.

This is their facebook page as well: http://www.facebook.com/plugshare

It seems the only theoretically (fastcharge) in NZ is the one at NorthPower station in Whangarei ...

On the subject of Tesla Apps. Apart from those whom own a Tesla and are able to download Tesla's propriatary App for their vehicles, does anyone know if there is an open to the public App from Tesla which can be downloaded showing their Supercharger network. If not it might be opportune for Tesla to produce one, as with all the noise about the release of their patents it would be a great marketing tool in advance of the Supercharger network eventually being opened to all EV brands.

This is an interesting App for Google glass and Tesla owners
Tesla for Glass

Cheers > Peter

Superchargers are listed on PlugShare.com and in their app. Also, this site has a great Supercharger map:

Superchargers

GSP

Superchargers are listed on PlugShare.com and in their app. Also, this site has a great Supercharger map:

Superchargers

GSP

There is also the Supercharger map from Tesla which shows all the current Superchargers in the US, Europe and Asia. Im sure Australia will also be included in this when they start rolling out here

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

You can also click on each one individually (currently open section) to see a Google map and other information regarding that location.

My Model S will effectively be NZ new, since Tesla are "delivering" it to me unregistered and tax free at their European distribution centre.
So, Tesla are doing something like the European Delivery Programe that Americans get where they drive their new Benz or Audi in Europe and then get it shipped home?
If I understood you correctly, you get a NZ-compliant RHD vehicle with all the NZ compliance plates under the hood with transit Dutch plates? And then it's your responsibility to ship home? How does 3G work? In Europe AND in NZ?