Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 Unbelievable Tesla Facts Infographic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mind-blowing-facts-about-tesla-motors.png

Brake pads don't need regular replacement?

Maybe not *as* regular as ICEs, but still, they do need periodic replacement.

So that's *ten* parts.

:)

My Model S now has 1,200 miles on it and I think I used the brakes to stop the car maybe three times. While I agree the brakes won't necessarily last forever, I wouldn't consider them requiring periodic replacement either. I would venture to guess that I'll get close to 100K miles out of the brakes. Maybe more.

About #5 it was not as simple as that. Tesla Motors was registered before Elon joined in, but no real work was done, no office or even garage rented. There was business plan, and Martin & Mark did talked to Lotus and to AC propulsion but other than that company was nonexistent, basically being an idea in search of funding.

My Model S now has 1,200 miles on it and I think I used the brakes to stop the car maybe three times. While I agree the brakes won't necessarily last forever, I wouldn't consider them requiring periodic replacement either. I would venture to guess that I'll get close to 100K miles out of the brakes. Maybe more.

I'd be surprised if I didn't get at least 200,000 miles on a set of brakes on my Model S. I had at least 110,000 miles on my Prius and saw never saw any evidence of them needing replacement. My Model S has much more aggressive regenerative braking than my Prius. OTOH when I drive my 2004 Chevy Classic, I'm many times afraid I won't be able to stop in time.

Brake pads don't need regular replacement?

Maybe not *as* regular as ICEs, but still, they do need periodic replacement.

So that's *ten* parts.

:)

If we are going to stretch the meaning of "periodic", lets include the battery, maybe the motor, and what about floor mats? Brakes are an unknown. My brakes are used for the last ten feet of so of a stop, if the light doesn't turn green while I am slowly coasting up to it. I never use them to slow down the car at any significant speed. Living on a mountain, most of my neighbors use their brakes going all the way down hill. I never use them unless I am just fully charged, and that's rare. There is no comparison. It is NOT a regularly scheduled periodic replacement.

I find this not believable. Sure, the regen helps alot with breaking and stopping, but THREE TIMES? Next time you're out, count the number of times you actually hit the brakes. I'm sure it's a lot more than you realize.
Agreed. Even with regen, I can't slow the car to a complete stop on the slightest of inclines at an intersection without the brakes, which means I need to use the brakes during the last several feet of slowdown or risk a slow speed run into the car in front of me. This happens way more than 3 times a day.

That said, I rarely use the brakes for the initial slowdown from speed, so I would still expect my brakes to last a lot longer than those on my ICE car.

Yeah, the brakes have to get used regularly but the wear is low. By the way, the Prius brakes will probably last marginally longer than the tesla since regen is tied to the brake pedal. On the MS, the brake pedal only actuates the brakes. The prius will do a better job of balancing actual brake usage with regen. A good driver on a model S could extend their brake pad life but I think on the average, the prius will do a slightly better job. Both cars will go a long way on a single set of brake pads.

Yeah, the brakes have to get used regularly but the wear is low. By the way, the Prius brakes will probably last marginally longer than the tesla since regen is tied to the brake pedal. On the MS, the brake pedal only actuates the brakes. The prius will do a better job of balancing actual brake usage with regen. A good driver on a model S could extend their brake pad life but I think on the average, the prius will do a slightly better job. Both cars will go a long way on a single set of brake pads.

On our Prius, the regen was so weak that you had to use the brakes. Not so with the Tesla. We used the brakes all the way down the hill with the "pretend rengen" of the Prius, but don't use the brakes at all with the Model S. In regular driving, which often consists of doing 60 on 4 lane road, coming up to a signal, the Tesla gently slows, creeps along to the line of cars, and usually the light changes, and we all go. No brakes at all. On the Prius, it was brake to a stop, every time.

I would not guarantee that the Prius brakes would outlast the Tesla. Besides, the Prius brakes were dink, small, weak, small rotors, which seemed to match the weak regen. No comparison. I never considered that the Prius would never need brake pads, but it is a definite thought as I drive the Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I would call the brakes, tires, and wipers are "wear items". The battery and motor are not.

Floor mats are not integral to driving or operating the car, so that's just a red herring.

Absolutely Red Herring. But the idea of brakes being "wear items", you're still remembering driving something that HAD TO USE brakes to slow down. The Tesla does not. And as far as calling them "wear items", why are not floor mats included, then? That's why you have to replace them. I think probably we are talking about things that need to be replaced *at certain short intervals*. This would let out the motor, the battery, the pumps, etc. In an ICE car, it would include things that need to be done at short intervals. Or somewhat short intervals. Average brakes wear out at, what, 50,000 miles? I already have that on my car, and no sign of brake pad wear. The tire guy checks brakes when he changes or rotates tires, for good reason on an ICE. And how long does the engine last? Couple hundred thou? I should have that on my car before the battery warranty runs out.

I think you are stretching. We don't know how long the brakes will last. I am not going to call them "wear items", at least not just yet.

And, you probably drive differently than I do! YMMV :smile:

On our Prius, the regen was so weak that you had to use the brakes. Not so with the Tesla. We used the brakes all the way down the hill with the "pretend rengen" of the Prius, but don't use the brakes at all with the Model S. In regular driving, which often consists of doing 60 on 4 lane road, coming up to a signal, the Tesla gently slows, creeps along to the line of cars, and usually the light changes, and we all go. No brakes at all. On the Prius, it was brake to a stop, every time.

I would not guarantee that the Prius brakes would outlast the Tesla. Besides, the Prius brakes were dink, small, weak, small rotors, which seemed to match the weak regen. No comparison. I never considered that the Prius would never need brake pads, but it is a definite thought as I drive the Tesla.
I definitely drove my Prius differently. Used coast/regen most of the time. You can hear and feel the brakes brakes kick in and it was an infrequent thing. It was a point of pride to drive minimizing waste energy as heat. I actually find I drive the two cars in a similar manner though regen is on a different pedal.