Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging at an older home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The in-laws' lake house has a previously used, now unused 10-30,(laundry room was repurposed) on the front a front room in the house.
anyone know if electricians would generally kill the juice to an old outlet like this? Or would it typically still be live?

if that outlet is dead...or I'm just short of being able to reach it...I could charge via the 5-15.
again though, the place is old....would I typically get less charge out of that kind of outlet....like maybe 2 mph...rather than 3ish?

We'll be there 2 nights...but if that backup charge is only 2 mph...then I may have a problem getting enough juice to get the fam back home.

So... remodeled room kills juice to 10-30, or typically left live?
old place in the boonies charges slower via 5-15? Would using a 50 ft extension cord for the 5-15 typically reduce the charge rate as well?

thanks again!

You could ask them to check the breaker box to see if there is a circuit breaker associated with that outlet and if so is it tripped or is it on. That would probably be the best option short of sticking a multi tester in the outlet itself.

The older 15amp outlet should allow charging at 12 amps. If the wiring is flaky with voltage fluctuations the car may dial the charge rate back further. If you use an extension cord, it shouldn't effect the charge rate as long as the cord is sufficient gauge. If the gauge of the wire is too small relative to it's length it will cause a voltage drop and will again trigger a slower charge rate.

If the 10-30 won't work, I always seek out a dedicated branch circuit such as a microwave or washing machine receptacle. A 110V duplex close to the load center is usually good as well. I use up to 100' of 12AWG extensions (a 10AWG reduces my voltage loss (shown) by 3V on my equipment at 100') without any issues if the starting voltage is sufficient and stable enough. Also, I always continuously monitor the charging cycle for safety and functionality.

Last edited:
Typically, unless they needed the room for additional breakers elsewhere, the circuit will be kept live once installed. If a room is repurposed and the receptacle isn't needed anymore, I remove the receptacle, cap the wires, and put a cover plate over the box if I need to remove the breaker, then I cap and label the wires in the panel too.

You never know -- you'll have to look though.

You might want to check plugshare to look for alternative charging locations around the lakehouse in case you get there and the outlet is dead.
Nothing in the vicinity on plug share...but there is an rv campground about 10 miles away with 50 amp charging.(not listed on plug share) Also campground with 30 amp about a mile away...but I don't have an adapter...and it sound like those tt-30 outlets are relatively worthless for the s.