Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla factory improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the talk about the "long body" models may be involved as well. I would imagine this requires fairly significant retooling of a lot of things, since all of the "robots" are highly precise and any changes require significant "learning" (e.g. programming).

They're shutting down for the month of July and will be putting in a 2nd line. (That doesn't mean that there will be any Model X rolling off the assembly line, it's only in preparation - so don't get too excited!) It takes time to get the equipment in and validated.

They're shutting down for the month of July and will be putting in a 2nd line. (That doesn't mean that there will be any Model X rolling off the assembly line, it's only in preparation - so don't get too excited!) It takes time to get the equipment in and validated.

Bonnie, did you hear somewhere that they're going to shut down for the entire month of July?

My car is supposed to go into production June 30 and arrive in Chicago July 14. That means they will probably work up till July 2 or 3, then take off for 10 days. They have a lot of deliveries scheduled for end of July which they couldn't meet if they shut down the whole month. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Bonnie, did you hear somewhere that they're going to shut down for the entire month of July?

I thought I did, but honestly don't remember where. So let's go with 'no' until I remember a source for that.

- - - Updated - - -

It may be that they're just closed for tours the entire month, but will be up and running for production. Probably too much confusion to deal with tours, too.

I thought I did, but honestly don't remember where. So let's go with 'no' until I remember a source for that.

- - - Updated - - -

It may be that they're just closed for tours the entire month, but will be up and running for production. Probably too much confusion to deal with tours, too.

Yeah, I think you might have mixed those up. Factory shut down is 10 days (according to Elon in conference call). But there was a post on TMC where someone said tours are closed for all of July (and first part of August iirc).

Someone here posted that a friend working there said that they were doing testing for MX and maybe don't want people seeing anything regarding the X just yet. I think down 3 weeks would be enough time to get a 2nd line up and running but who can really predict what are some unknowns.

The exterior of the entire factory has been repainted. It looks great. Fresh white paint for the most part. There are 37 high powered connectors in a row in the employee/visitor lot along with many, many NEMA 14-50 plugs. I'm sure after the winter months we will see new flags at the entrance gate. U.S., California, and the Tesla's corporate flag in front of the building. Over time the new visitors center/entrance will be finished giving the factory and even more polished look. Progress on all fronts! Wonderful!