Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering purchasing damaged/salvage Model S as a project car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
So, there are quite a few salvage/damaged Model S available it seems.

I was considering buying one for a project.

Seems most have damage to the front fender area... I'm wondering if there is something here that makes these impossible to legally repair?

Anyone have any details on anything along these lines? Just looking for opinions. Half tempted to pick up one just for the battery and motor to do a conversion of something else. lol.

Last edited:
Seems like it'd be a fun project to restore it to drivable, then transplant. But I'd be worried that the damage would be too extreme to do the former...

After looking through Otmar's Blog earlier, his was in way worse shape, IMO, than one I'd consider. I'd probably only consider one that already was able to be put in drive and have the rear wheels turn.

Been keeping an eye on auctions and other places for weeks... and the problem is most of those have substantial damage to the front of the vehicle...

I figure I could grab one... and worst case just resell it at possibly a small loss if it turns out to be too daunting of a project.

I know of a (structurely sound) blue 85kw Model 'S' that has panel damage on the (right hand) passenger side back door, passenger door, wing mirror, and front wheel panel.

Details: 85 kW, delivered March 2013 in Louisiana. Vehicle was owned privately with about 3000 miles on the clock/speedo. I dont know if the owner wants to sell it and the price BUT there is (one catch) the vehicle is currently domiciled in Germany (-:

I can contact the owner on your behalf to ask him about it and if he would want to sell. Let me know, and also if possible what sort of (ballpark) general price offer you might consider !!!

Cheers > Peter in New Zealand

I know of a (structurely sound) blue 85kw Model 'S' that has panel damage on the (right hand) passenger side back door, passenger door, wing mirror, and front wheel panel.

Details: 85 kW, delivered March 2013 in Louisiana. Vehicle was owned privately with about 3000 miles on the clock/speedo. I dont know if the owner wants to sell it and the price BUT there is (one catch) the vehicle is currently domiciled in Germany (-:

I can contact the owner on your behalf to ask him about it and if he would want to sell. Let me know, and also if possible what sort of (ballpark) general price offer you might consider !!!

Cheers > Peter in New Zealand

Hmm... not sure what would be involved getting it from Germany... sounds like more of a headache than domestic shipping. hehe

Dont know either about the shipping > It went from the USA to Germany OK so I presume the reverse would also be OK ??? Anyhow let me know if any interest at all. Cheers .. Peter
front.jpg

Looking around some more...

Specifically what I was talking about in my first post:

i5376a228e82f0.jpg

I'm not sure how repairable that is... although this Model S is reported to turn on, shift into gear, move, charge, etc... that damage around the front suspension is what scares me, however.

The Model 'S' I mentioned seems to be just fine mechanically and structually

There seems to be only side swipe damage causing that superficial panel damage and the wing mirror totalled.

I dont know what you guys in the USA call the 'wing mirror' ...
frontside.jpg
side mirror I guess >> Cheers, Peter

Still havent found a suitable salvage car. :(

All either have way too much structural damage or the seller wants way too much money. (The one in the pic I posted wants $42k.... $25k more than the price they bought it for at auction... offered $30k + shipping and they turned it down, which would be $13k profit for them)

Still havent found a suitable salvage car. :(

All either have way too much structural damage or the seller wants way too much money. (The one in the pic I posted wants $42k.... $25k more than the price they bought it for at auction... offered $30k + shipping and they turned it down, which would be $13k profit for them)
Certainly not worth $42k. People get minor hood/front end damage and get $10k+ bills. That has serious bodywork issues, the frame around the suspension looks completely shot, and that's the DC/DC converter exposed in the wheel well that looks a little dinged up. I doubt that's a cheap part. It's probably cheaper to buy a new one that fix that one.

So, yes, keep looking. Good luck in your search.