Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urban EV owners (at least in Philly) can subsidize their own street EV charging spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this was an interesting development, one which, if replicated in enough urban areas could help spread EV adoption. I've had a number of friends who live in condos/apartments in the New York City area who have told me they'd love to own a Tesla, but aren't sure where they'd charge it, since they don't have garage parking for their existing ICE vehicles.

Philadelphia EV owners can apply for parking spaces - Green Mountain Energy Company

Of course, this development is a bit of a 180 from the traditional model of taxpayer-subsidized incentives for EV adoption. In this case, you've got an individual owner-subsidized charging station that any EV owner can use, but the owner has to pay the municipality annually to renew their privilege.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to park a $100k vehicle on the street, but I suppose that's what insurance is for. It used to amaze me when I used to work in London and walk from my hotel in Knightsbridge to my office in Belgravia how many Bentley's, Ferrari's, high end Porsche's, Aston Martin's, and Rolls Royce's I'd see on my 10 minute walk through Belgravia, so it isn't without precedent. Hopefully now that they've started delivering RHD Tesla's to the UK, future strolls through that same neighborhood will soon include sightings of Model S's with street charging stations...

Reactions: Paul Carter