Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grrrr...Tesla's temporary license stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I found the first thing that annoyed the hell out of me about the car, and it didn't have anything to do with the car itself. Received my license plates in the mail today. Installed the rear one only (natch), which meant I no longer needed the temporary sticker on the front windshield. This is what happened when I pulled it off: it left a very sticky residue behind.

The effort to get that sticky stuff off that low corner of the windshield was unbelievable. Had to use Goo-Gone, avoid getting it on my dash or in the speaker grille at all costs, and scrub at it for a good 45 minutes from a very awkward angle. There aren't higher quality stickers Tesla can use here? :mad:

Car.jpg
car3.jpg

Last edited:
Exact same thing happened to me....I even asked the Tesla rep to put the temp down as LOW as possible....practically ducked it under the dash! (my mistake!!)

I actually started with razor blade and a pair of needle nose, then got a windex moistened towel.....and it actually rubbed right out.... I think the glue might be water soluble....

thanks for the heads up. i will be removing that thing right after i drive away! i'm getting tint on the windshield most likely , so it would have to come off anyway. is that first pic at the san diego SC?
No, that pic is in my work parking lot the day I picked it up. Had to go back to work after the delivery experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Goof Off did not work for me but isopropyl alcohol did...
Yeah, the Goo Gone was surprisingly ineffective. I ended up removing it mostly with elbow grease.

- - - Updated - - -

Use a hairdryer to warm it until it's really soft and then peel it off, the sticker then usually takes the glue with it.
Wish I'd thought of that.

It's a California thing. New cars get to drive around with no plates and just a little folded-up piece of paper taped to the windshield.

I got the little folded-up piece of paper but no gooey mess. The picture shows there is a big sticker. All I had was a couple of pieces of Scotch Tape.

Safety glass used to be two pieces of glass with a clear gum between.
I believe modern safety glass is one piece of glass with a clear plastic film on the interior.
It would not do to use a razor blade on the inside if this is the case.
For years I have been blaming a presumed layer of plastic film (mylar?) for my difficulty getting a clear windshield.
Am I wrong here?
Did you try the razor blade?

so i took delivery on saturday and a few hours later took off that temporary sticker. and it still left a little bit of residue! the difference is the cheap temporary "sticker" they are using at my local service center is basically just cheap packaging tape, which everyone knows rips off and leaves a horrible mess behind. in fact, when i took off the little paper registration, some of the paper tore off.

in the past, other dealers i have gotten cars from (lexus, mercedes, audi, etc.) use a vinyl type plastic, like a sticky window cling. it's a thick material and rarely leaves any adhesive when you remove it.