Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable Fridge in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We use a 50QT ARB 12vDC portable fridge, and have not setup the Model S for it yet. The powered cooler is superb FWIW. No ice needed, and when you get to your destination, you can plug it into AC power. Perfect for beach weeks, etc.

http://store.arbusa.com/Fridges-C11.aspx

It is very thrifty in terms of energy (Average DC power consumption: 0.7 to 2.3 amp hr: typically drawing an intermittent 1.35 amps per hour from a 12 volt power source).
I would need to put a 12vDC power outlet in the trunk, or I could perhaps jump the power off the battery and set it in the frunk if it would fit. I am a little leery of tapping the diminutive 12vDC battery on the Tesla though.

Can anyone share insights with setting up fridge freezer or powered cooler for occasional use in the Model S?

We use a 50QT ARB 12vDC portable fridge, and have not setup the Model S for it yet. The powered cooler is superb FWIW. No ice needed, and when you get to your destination, you can plug it into AC power. Perfect for beach weeks, etc.

http://store.arbusa.com/Fridges-C11.aspx

It is very thrifty in terms of energy (Average DC power consumption: 0.7 to 2.3 amp hr: typically drawing an intermittent 1.35 amps per hour from a 12 volt power source).
I would need to put a 12vDC power outlet in the trunk, or I could perhaps jump the power off the battery and set it in the frunk if it would fit. I am a little leery of tapping the diminutive 12vDC battery on the Tesla though.

Can anyone share insights with setting up fridge freezer or powered cooler for occasional use in the Model S?

ARB makes good stuff, this unit looks like it comes with a Cigarette Lighter connector, and will run at less than 15 Amps; see page 11 of the owners manual, http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/file/ARB_Fridge_Freezer_MAN_EN.pdf, as reference. You should be able to plug it into the Tesla Cigarette Lighter power socket and be good to go.

My mini van from 23 years ago had a small box built in between the front seats, ran off the vehicle climate control, had room for about 6 pop cans and had 3 settings hot to keep things warm, cool to act like a fridge, and even ice mode where it would freeze things (came with a small I've cube tray)

Would be a wonderful option on a Tesla. ..

These 'no moving parts' coolers use DC running thru a series of 2 dissimilar metals; connection A gets cool while connection B gets hot. Neatest thing since sliced bread. Trouble might be in dissipating the heat sufficiently away from the cooler tub. Other than that they can be built any size you want. Nice to know the newer ones are so efficient.
--

For those interested, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
They are rather neat units. I've played around with them quite a bit, and I have a old mid-90's Coleman thermometric cooler that I've used in my Model S when we're working on the railroad (Literally...) I use a 12v cigarette socket that has alligator clamps on it to connect to the 12v terminals under the nose cone and route it inside the frunk (leave frunk open though to exhaust the heat from the cooler). This keeps my boys juice cold and my ice tea, well, not icey, but coold. mine takes a long time to cool down, but maintains temps very well. So I pre-cool our beverages and sandwiches over night, and then put them in already cold. The cooler then keeps them cool for us All day.

Just had installed my alpicool 21 quart freezer/fridge in my car on constant power. Works great and had it running for about 12 hours so far. Planning on having it always on for cold beverages. It runs at 45 watts when compressor is on. Temperature set for -20 °C currently, but I think I will eventually just have it set to fridge temperature. I don't hear anything when it's running. Very quiet and currently sitting in the trunk against the back seat. Noticed that having it running for 12 hours, I've lost 2 miles of estimated battery road time when I got back in the car.

I have an ARB unit and it's a true refrigeration unit! Has a micro compressor, etc. This is what ALL the outlanders and 4x4'ers use in the bush and once they get down to temperature they sip hardly any energy. They are insulated to the hilt!!!

Way before this stupid Yeti/ cooler craze started.. buy an ARB and it'll last a lifetime!

I've had mine for maybe 11 or 12 years now? Works awesome!

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px and Utahken