Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5/2.0 Roadster Double DIN Upgrade - $2500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a few older threads on this, but I wanted to revive the issue.

I have a 2.0 and want to install a double-DIN stereo. With the new Carplay compatible car stereos coming out, I'm pretty sure I need a double DIN opening for the iPhone integration I'm seeking with these units.

Now, I see two car stereo carbon fiber binnacles over at the Tesla store:

Shop Tesla Gear Carbon Fiber Stereo Binnacle

The 1.5/2.0 version is $800 installed. Using the drop down menu, the 2.5 version is a whooping $2500 installed! WOW.

Does anyone know if I can order the 2.5 binnacle and have it retrofitted to my 2.0? Will the 1.5/2.0 version fit a double DIN? Are there any other options for 1.5/2.0 owners to upgrade to a double DIN opening?

Thanks.

Yes, the 2.5 carbon fibre binnacle can be retrofitted to a 2.0 Roadster, but it takes a bit of work. The air ducts need to be re-routed and part of the dash frame needs to be cut out and rebuilt - which explains the high install cost.

I had the CF double DIN upgrade done to my 2.0 and am very happy with the result!

Before and after pics attached.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402944945.379238.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402945013.261049.jpg

Thanks, djp! Wow, that CF looks really nice. I noticed the vents went from full circles to half circles. Is it any less airflow?

Just can't believe it costs so much, but it might be worth it me. Would love to put in a stereo with Carplay support and replace that dock connector cable with a lighting cable to stay up to date with technology.

I did the carbon fiber binnacle upgrade (and not the double din radio) on my 2.0. It looks nice but unfortunately the carbon fiber is very reflective and causes a bad glare on the front windshield. Not sure I would do it again if I knew about the reflectiveness of the carbon fiber.

I shipped our Green Machine off to Al & Ed's Autosound just yesterday for a double-DIN new console and audio system. It should be back thursday. I'll tell everyone how it went!

Funny - I was just e-mailing Elie about doing the same thing! Please do let me know how it goes. Might PM you about pricing and the the options you chose.

Also, spoke with my local Tesla service center and said the price to do the double DIN upgrade would be in the neighborhood of $6500 for labor only. I find that hard to believe since in the old thread below the cost including parts used to be $4800.

Double DIN upgrade released

I'll clarify with my service center, but the Al & Ed's right might be the better option.

So has anyone made any progress in installing a CarPlay device into a 1.5 Roadster? via Tesla or Al & Ed's? Approximate cost? Double DIN upgrade, or do they have some sort of slide-out unit to fit a larger screen in a single-DIN? (I know, it will block some of the air flow, but that can be worked with I'm sure)

I'd actually prefer plastic to carbon fiber (because of glare), but just wondering what the options are since I finally joined this century by getting an iPhone.

So has anyone made any progress in installing a CarPlay device into a 1.5 Roadster? via Tesla or Al & Ed's? Approximate cost? Double DIN upgrade, or do they have some sort of slide-out unit to fit a larger screen in a single-DIN? (I know, it will block some of the air flow, but that can be worked with I'm sure)

I'd actually prefer plastic to carbon fiber (because of glare), but just wondering what the options are since I finally joined this century by getting an iPhone.
I saw someone mention that a slide-out screen interferes with the wiper control stalk. I don't think there's a cheap or easy solution here.

Al and Ed's was going to do it for me for about $3000 installed - including the top of the line Pioneer CarPlay unit, which retails for $1200 (MSRP I think is $1400). But roundtrip shipping to and from Phoenix via covered auto transport brought the cost to about $4800. That was beyond my budget.

I found a Lotus dash on eBay for $200 and sent it to a shop in Ohio for modification. They are sending it back with the vents and air duct pieces for a total of $400. I bought the Double-DIN bezel/binnacle here for about $150. I'll have to pay a local shop to install and the CarPlay Pioneer 8000-NEX sells for about $950-ish on Amazon. So I'm looking at about $1700 for the head unit and parts + installation in my 2.0.

Well, I'm making progress on the conversion on my 2.0.

Below is a picture of some of the pieces I've gathered.

1) Modified Lotus Elise dash with CF vent piece; 2-piece double DIN binnacle; and CF Frame

IMG_6896.jpg

2) Close up of CF vent. It's a shame this will be covered. It's a beautiful piece:

IMG_6901.jpg

3) Close up of CF Frame:

IMG_6902.jpg

4) All the pieces put together:

IMG_6897.jpg

I'm still waiting on the vent pieces. In the meantime I'm going to try to get these pieces wrapped in black leather to match the premium leather interior option on my Roadster. The premium leather is nice, but it's really making my conversion a lot more complex (and expensive). I probably would have bought a 2.5 had I known it would be this involved to convert to a double DIN!

Modifications are being done by Concept:Carbon in Ohio. I'm going to have it installed locally of course.

Because of this thread, I picked up the plastic double din enclosure (both vent cover and stereo binnacle) from Tesla. They also gave me the metal support frame, but it's easier to cut the dash with a hacksaw than it is to remove all the plastic rivets from the interior support frame, remove said frame, install the new one and re-rivet everything. I need to get pieces like Shrink has to secure the binnacle and route air properly.

Will attach pictures later as i'm having trouble uploading ATM.