Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone getting preferential electricity rates for owning an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that some people are getting lower electricity rates because they have an EV.
I know Minnesota just lowered electricity rates at night for people with EV's.

I am wondering if anyone in Canada has contacted their electrical company to see if they can get a cheaper rate for owning an EV. My guess would be a cheaper off-peak rate.

I asked my electrical supplier, and they wanted to know if any other supplier is doing it. They didn't say no right away, which I consider a positive.

(I don't think anyone in Canada is getting a discounted rate, but thought I would check).

I have heard that some people are getting lower electricity rates because they have an EV.

I am wondering if anyone in Canada has contacted their electrical company to see if they can get a cheaper rate for owning an EV. My guess would be a cheaper off-peak rate.

I asked my electrical supplier, and they wanted to know if any other supplier is doing it. They didn't say no right away, which I consider a positive.

(I don't think anyone in Canada is getting a discounted rate, but thought I would check).

Not to be nit picky, however...
Minnesota is covered by about a dozen utilities.
The law that passed requires three of them to offer a lower rate to EV owners. Probably within a year.
2 of the other utilities are already offering beneficial rates for EV owners.

By all means, call and check with your utilities about TOU or Off Peak rates.

How much of a benefit this is for the utility depends upon how expensive it is for them to provide power during peak hours.
If it costs them more to provide the power than your cost to plug in during peak hours, it should be easy for them to incentivize plugging in during off peak.

Not to be nit picky, however...
Minnesota is covered by about a dozen utilities.
The law that passed requires three of them to offer a lower rate to EV owners. Probably within a year.
2 of the other utilities are already offering beneficial rates for EV owners.

By all means, call and check with your utilities about TOU or Off Peak rates.

How much of a benefit this is for the utility depends upon how expensive it is for them to provide power during peak hours.
If it costs them more to provide the power than your cost to plug in during peak hours, it should be easy for them to incentivize plugging in during off peak.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know all the details regarding the law that passed in Minnesota. Thanks for clarifying it.

There are some that are getting a discounted rate ... check this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29429-Toronto-Hydro-(Possible)-Rebate.

I'm in California using Pacific Gas and Electric... they changed my rate structure to a new rate called EV-A for homeowners owning an electric car... I have a large home and the changes looks to save me thousands/year... depending on how much I need to charge at home vs on the road.

Last edited:
Edison (So-Cal) customers can opt for TOU-D-EV rates which are inexpensive and rewarding for those who charge after midnight. Day rates are expensive, but combine with a PV system, you will crush your electric bills every month by limiting use between 10A and 6P, and charging after midnight.

Here is the response I received from my Hydro utility company. The response may be incentive for others in Ontario to contact their utility provider.
"I have investigated your request and currently, utilities in Ontario do not offer a reduced rate for customers with electric vehicles. Currently, British Columbia and Quebec have incentive programs in place, but these programs have not been seen in Ontario. I have heard the idea of pre-paid charging stations across the province, but as such, there is nothing in place.

I would appreciate any further information that you can provide as we are preparing a Cost of Service rate application to file with the Ontario Energy Board "