Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the P85 too fast/powerful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might sounds like a strange question, but I'm on the fence between the S85 and P85. Leaning toward the latter so I don't end up with regrets down the road, even though it's obviously overkill in terms of performance, especially here in Chicagoland. However, I'm concerned that the acceleration might make it too easy to get into trouble, if not for me, then for others (spouse, parents, etc) who might not have the same experience/comfort level with high performance cars. And it's going to be a family car after all.

So, those with the P85, would you consider the car TOO fast in some situations? Do you let others drive it without concern?

Obviously depends on the person. I came from sporty, but not super fast cars (Dodge Stealth, then Mazda RX8) and the P85 was scary quick. It took me a little bit to get used to it. I'm happy I got it, but it's definitely a ton of power.

The P is certainly noticeably faster but the standard model is so much quicker off the line then almost any other car ever made that to most people it seems plenty fast. You can get "into trouble" with either model.

If your bank account can handle it get the P. If not, the standard model is tons o' fun!

It's less about the car, it's more about you and if you are able to hold back. It's very impressive and it feels great so you will be tempted do use it and take a risk. I've seen so many drivers of fast cars do really stupid things and even end in the ditch or even worse because of the speed/power rush.

The non-P is plenty fast so it's not like you are going to miss out. At 60 or above the difference between the S85 and P85 is very small. For some reason the main difference in power is only at the lower speeds. So the only situation in which the P makes a difference is beating pretty much everyone from a standstill. Is it too much? No! You can always adjust it with the pedal. Is it worth it? Depends if you care about $12k or not. To me it wasn't worth 12k.

I don't consider the P85 too fast and I love mine, but if I did it over again, I'd consider getting the S85. Even the S60 feels faster than most ICE sedans due to having instant torque, and the S85 is only 50 horses less than the P85. There's plenty of acceleration there for a normal person, including me, and I've owned a 430 HP Corvette and a 300+ HP BMW 335xi in recent years.

That being said, I find that keeping the energy usage graph pulled up tends to keep my foot off the accelerator more.

Go with what your heart desires and your pocketbook allows.

The nice thing about the Tesla drive-train is that it is quite "docile" for urban driving. The car is extremely easy to drive at low speeds in residential streets or stop / go traffic, and at very low speeds in parking lots.

The P gives you the extra fun oomph when you really depress the accelerator.

I for one never regret getting a P (I still look for excuses to drive it after 15 months), if you are already thinking along those lines, go for it!

Not too fast, just the right amount to be fun. Can spin the wheels on the wet roads pretty easily when under ~40mph.

I do let other people drive it, only good friends who I know are safe drivers of their own fast cars (and properly insured).

P85+ here.

Last edited:
I finally drove a standard last week for the first time (loaner). It was indeed plenty fast. I did see how the standard-ness could be considered a feature if you were to have anxiety about it. It wasn't mushy but felt more comfortable with how you could hit it and not lurch. I think we P drivers have carefully trained feet and just know to not cause harm.