Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "Model X Update" Email on June 16, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect nearly everyone posting here will have received the same thing, but just in case...

ModelX-Update.png

Interesting that one picture has regular cameras and the other has mirrors.

The optional third row seats will probably be more than the $2,500 rear facing seats in the Model S, so probably around $4,000. That helps them keep to the "low single digit percent" price increase over the Model S base price.

Last time Tesla said that X production would start in Q2'15. Now moving it back to early 2015?

I strongly believe that the reason for MX delays from early 2014 to late 2014 and then to Q2'15 was strong demand for MS. If Tesla is able to sell 35K units in 2014 all being Model S, there is no need to introduce X. I was hoping for another delay of X toward 2016, that would have meant that Tesla would be able to sell 50k+ cars all being S in 2015...

Not likely, but hopefully this decision is based not on flattening demand for S, but based on removing supply&production constrains (battery cells) ahead of schedule.

I like wheels style :)

That Model X shown in the email is quite a bit different from the one that shows on my My Tesla page and the Model X website pages. In the email, look at how much the body continues (or doesn't continue) past the front and rear wheels. Looks to me like they have shortened the front to leave more room at the back...

I for one am glad to hear that the third row seats will be optional, and will be ordering my Model X without them. I'm sure many people will be buying the Model X for family hauling capacity, but I simply prefer the higher seating position and roominess of a crossover and have little reason I would ever need to transport more than 5 people. In the six years that I drove SUVs with third row seating, I can count on one hand the number of times I used it, and it served little purpose other than raising my cargo floor. Thank you Tesla for making it optional at least until future smaller models are available.

Last time Tesla said that X production would start in Q2'15. Now moving it back to early 2015?

I strongly believe that the reason for MX delays from early 2014 to late 2014 and then to Q2'15 was strong demand for MS. If Tesla is able to sell 35K units in 2014 all being Model S, there is no need to introduce X. I was hoping for another delay of X toward 2016, that would have meant that Tesla would be able to sell 50k+ cars all being S in 2015...

Not likely, but hopefully this decision is based not on flattening demand for S, but based on removing supply&production constrains (battery cells) ahead of schedule.

I like wheels style :)

They've consistently said (and I have confirmation from other sources) that this is not the reason. You know that they are expanding the production line capacity in Fremont. Why not believe Elon when he says there was a design problem that set them back?

There were a lot of disappointed people when that happened, including me. But I supported the decision to get the design right. It was the right thing to do. Why attach other reasons to what happened?

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the timeline goes, this fits with my expectations of late - a belief that sometime near the end of Q1 I'd see my Model X. I'd hoped to see it by end of 2014, but I reset that expectation when the design issue surfaced.

As far as the timeline goes, this fits with my expectations of late - a belief that sometime near the end of Q1 I'd see my Model X. I'd hoped to see it by end of 2014, but I reset that expectation when the design issue surfaced.

My birthday is at the end of March... fingers crossed! ;)

I figure that at the very least I'll have my configuration in by then and be drooling over photos of your Sig.

They've consistently said (and I have confirmation from other sources) that this is not the reason. You know that they are expanding the production line capacity in Fremont. Why not believe Elon when he says there was a design problem that set them back?

There were a lot of disappointed people when that happened, including me. But I supported the decision to get the design right. It was the right thing to do. Why attach other reasons to what happened?

- - - Updated - - -

You see Tesla was planning to start X production at the end of 2013. If in the middle of 2013 Tesla management felt that they won't be able to sell more than 20k Model S in 2014, Tesla would have found a way to introduce X well before end of 2014.

But with current demand level for an S and production constraints Tesla is in no rush mode with an X. And that is underlying reason to go for quest of perfecting X, and to go for it slowly and reluctantly.

And I do not doubt Elon's words that Tesla is using the time to make X even better. Good for Tesla, and probably good for future Model X owners:)

Got the email too! Definitely glad that they gave us an update. But seriously, the 3rd row is optional?? I bet most potential buyers assumed it's standard!

I'd always assumed it would be optional, like the kids' seats on the S. And a third row is something I don't need, so I'll probably pass. I'd rather have the room. Unless getting that flat interior in the back requires the third row.

I also assume the "Hello Kitty" interior will be a premium upgrade. :)