Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any HPWC owner between St Louis and Kansas ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
we are making the crazy trip to TMC Connect from Tampa Florida. We decided to go cross country instead of the east coast SC route to hot the east/west sc's. All looks good so far but the section between St Louis and Kansas. There is really NOTHING out there !

Any Tesla owners in the area with an HPWC or at least 14/50 ?

Joe

Hi,
we are making the crazy trip to TMC Connect from Tampa Florida. We decided to go cross country instead of the east coast SC route to hot the east/west sc's. All looks good so far but the section between St Louis and Kansas. There is really NOTHING out there !

Joe

Have great fun with your trip!

If it's one or two people per car, then luggage and two bicycles easily fit in a Model S. Having the bikes as local transportation while your MS spends hours on a charger, can really open up what you can do at a charger.

Also, I am sure that you are already looking into RV Parks with 14-50's along the way.

On your way home, consider going from Farmington to Silverthorne or Lone Tree. I have helped put 70 Amp J1772 EVSE's in Pagosa Springs, CO and Salida, CO as charging points between, and it gives you a nice, off-the-beaten-path route through the Rockies.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hi,

Joe

I am guessing you are driving a 60 kWh car, Yes? St. Louie to KC is 220 miles, or at least it was when I lived in Columbia. In an 85 kWh, that is a nice comfortable drive. Sitting at a slow charger takes a lot longer than setting the cruise at 62 and covering 300 miles per charge. Oops, I see you are in an 85.

If you end up at Bonnie's BarBQ, I'd like to hear how that stretch of drive worked out. If I lived in Columbia now, I'd let you use my HPWC , ah, but I don't. Have a great trip, and glad you're coming out to the left coast.

St. Louie to KC is 220 miles, or at least it was when I lived in Columbia.

Bare in mind that's kind of a best case edge to edge distance. Center to center is more like 250 miles.

There is almost nothing between KC and St. Louis charging-wise, save for RV parks that might let you charge. It's been irritating me for years now, as I never get to charge my Volt on my frequent trips to Columbia. There is only 1 public J1772 charger in Columbia, MO, and last I looked, it's not on any maps. I can't remember the address, but I know it's there because the St. Louis store staff told me about it. Call the St. Louis store and ask Hunter about it if you want to know where it is. I grew up in Columbia, have family in Columbia, make weekly trips to Columbia, I drive a Volt, am a big follower of EVs, and I still don't know where the $$*%&^ thing is. It's almost mythical, but it's there somewhere.

There is a J1772 at the Nissan dealership in Columbia, and I read before that they at least once let a Model S owner charge there, but I tend not to consider it as a viable option as it's not really fair to Nissan to use their charger with no intent of even considering buying something from them.

There are at least 2 Model S owners who live in or near Columbia (I've seen their cars several times), but I don't think they post here. Not on plug share last I looked.

Last edited:
I'm in Saint Louis and would be happy to share my charger with you. I'm on Plugshare as well - HPWC 100amp if you need it. I know there are plenty of others in Saint Louis and Kansas City that would be happy to help out as well. We have two Saint Louis Tesla Enthusiast members headed out to TMC Connect at the same time. Like others have said - it gets into pretty slow 3rd party charger in the middle of Missouri. :)

I'm in Saint Louis and would be happy to share my charger with you. I'm on Plugshare as well - HPWC 100amp if you need it. I know there are plenty of others in Saint Louis and Kansas City that would be happy to help out as well. We have two Saint Louis Tesla Enthusiast members headed out to TMC Connect at the same time. Like others have said - it gets into pretty slow 3rd party charger in the middle of Missouri. :)

Thanks for the offer, we are covered in St Louis with more power :) We really need Columbia. Theoretically we can do it from St Louis to Kansas, but I never take those risks. If the wind blows a little from the west to it goes a little hill up or rains we won't make it. I will call the Nissan dealer to see if we can top up there.