Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waited Years For This Day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone!

You may know me from my forum thread talking about finances and whether the Model S was a "smart" purchase as far as alternatives I could use my money on.

Need The Opinion Of Others For My Purchase

If you are not aware, the Model S was a stretch for me if it wasn't for TSLA, of which I am sadly out of now as I didn't have many shares to begin with but enough to put half down on the Model S and a bit more.

Anyway, I took delivery of the car Monday and I already have nearly 800 miles on the car!! I took it from San Antonio to Houston and back. I can't tell you how when preaching to people all these years that "There are no compromises." "Charging takes no time." without experiencing was a bit strange. Now that I experienced it, it is better then I could have imagined. I had a half a pack of charge left, I walked to get something to eat and by the time I got my food and drinks and walked back it was done! ZERO COMPROMISES!

The car has far exceeded my expectations of the ease of owner ship and refueling, this is my very first EV that I am just lucky enough to afford. I have been following Tesla since the Roadster and a lot of time has passed since then. I was working at a Best Buy-like place as a sales guy and now I am a network engineer with a degree. All that hard work finally paying off in being able to buy something I am passionate about. :)

One other concern I had was the acceleration in comparison to the performance model. I got the S85 and I can safely report that the acceleration is STILL out of this world! I have shown the car to about 6 people so far who said things like "Do you need a long extension cord to get to Houston?" "Do you need an extension cord to plug it into your hotel room?" and "You spent HOW much on WHAT?". Once I hit the pedal to the ground their disbelief about the cars capabilities turned to disbelief that ICE's were so inferior!

S85 Post-Purchase Regret?

Anyway, I wanted to share and say thank you to everyone! If it wasn't for the investing community I wouldn't have double down into TSLA, even though I still don't know much about investing I had hope/faith TSLA was going to be big. It enabled me to invest once again in the product, a product I back due to the sincerity of the mission of the company and the honest stance of Elon Musk. I felt like family when I got delivery, I even got to meet a team of Tesla employees on my way back to San Antonio and they were really nice and down to earth! They were headed back to Houston from training.

I can't wait to join our San Antonio/Austin group in gatherings and put names to faces.

TeslaJ.jpg

Last edited:
Buddy that was a HUGE bet for anyone. I am a financial planner and spent 13 years in the automotive business 22 years ago before this career. There were so many reasons NOT to buy TSLA. I love the car, I love the company, but that was a long shot. I still believe that the true economics of it don't make the stock a good investment, and never bought it but really glad it worked out for you. I would advise you to look at this as one of the lucky shots in life, and be mindful that these results are a rarity. Be careful with your money in the future, but a HUGE congrats in this move getting you a great car.

Bardlebee,what a great post, thanks for writing it! It's especially wonderful to read how you were able to take something that initially was out of reach and actually make it happen!

I too ordered an S85 but only test drove a 60, so especially after reading your experience I'm sure I'll be delighted with mine too once it arrives in September.

Congratulations and I hope you have many many years of delighted driving ahead of you!

Buddy that was a HUGE bet for anyone. I am a financial planner and spent 13 years in the automotive business 22 years ago before this career. There were so many reasons NOT to buy TSLA. I love the car, I love the company, but that was a long shot. I still believe that the true economics of it don't make the stock a good investment, and never bought it but really glad it worked out for you. I would advise you to look at this as one of the lucky shots in life, and be mindful that these results are a rarity. Be careful with your money in the future, but a HUGE congrats in this move getting you a great car.

Oh for sure. I was putting cash in that I was prepared to lose financially and completely, it was a "I'll put some of this extra money in here, you never know" kind of thing. That is why I didn't have so much to pay the car out right and my house! Haha.. Your advice is for sure solid and I respect and am glad for it with your expertise. I was not tied down to the decision. It was my first stock and certainly my luckiest. I also invested in SCTY and that did well. Right now I have no stock and I simply plan to pay off all debts, including my house before pursuing investing once again. I am also working on my retirement plan, its been neglected. Better start now while I am young. :)

I am in no illusion this was a stock of a decade, I am just glad I was a part of it. It originated from blind admiration and belief in the company more then common sense. :)

Congratulations! You are very blessed to be able to enjoy the Model S.

We've been too conservative to invest in any individual stocks, though I think we've profited at least a little from TSLA's rise via mutual funds in our retirement accounts. Our Tesla vehicle purchase, God willing, will come after attaining our financial goals which seem to be within reach relatively soon. Then it's a matter of saving up the cash (no debt will be used). Having a Nissan LEAF to drive around town makes the wait for a Tesla a bit easier. It would be harder to wait if we were still driving gas cars all of the time.

Congratulations. We look forward to our "day" in September.
We too invested in Tesla early on. At that time it was trading at $34 per share. Look at today. Up to $224 right now. We will be selling some of our shares to help with the purchase. Amazing, isn't it.

Enjoy your Model S Bardlebee!

Oh for sure. I was putting cash in that I was prepared to lose financially and completely, it was a "I'll put some of this extra money in here, you never know" kind of thing. That is why I didn't have so much to pay the car out right and my house! Haha.. Your advice is for sure solid and I respect and am glad for it with your expertise. I was not tied down to the decision. It was my first stock and certainly my luckiest. I also invested in SCTY and that did well. Right now I have no stock and I simply plan to pay off all debts, including my house before pursuing investing once again. I am also working on my retirement plan, its been neglected. Better start now while I am young. :)

I am in no illusion this was a stock of a decade, I am just glad I was a part of it. It originated from blind admiration and belief in the company more then common sense. :)

Great response, you seem to have your head on straight and will do well. This was definitely a good purchase for you. We have had ours 1yr 1 month and 28k miles, with so much fun and excitement. It is a thrill to drive and talk about, some day maybe I will buy a second one. If it holds up in the years to come as it has this first hard year, then we all will be very satisfied customers and the company will thrive. best wishes,