Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bets on When 6.0 Update will be Released...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my S85 and absolutely loving it overall - however, I think the navigation and music interfaces and user experience could use significant improvement. I'm hoping that 6.0 will correct or incorporate many of those features (that many have lamented are missing in multiple threads, etc.).

I'm not familiar with when 5.0 was released and how significant of an update that was over prior versions - but just curious if/when folks might think 6.0 would come out (it would be awesome to bet $1 on the day and then have winner take all. But in lieu of making my brain think too hard on a Sunday night (before watching an episode of Orange is the New Black) - I will say, I hope that 6.0 is released on(by) September 1st (2014).

Any other guesses?

Christmas!

Considering that Elon mentioned 6.0 would be coming very soon back in February, I would certainly hope that it arrives before Xmas. Even knowing what I know now about Tesla time my guess would be the end of summer for complete rollout. The reason for that is that it has been confirmed that 6.0 is being beta tested so almost all the code has been written. Now only the kincks have to be worked out.

You'll have to define "day" more. Tesla historically has not announced a release - it appears one day in a demo car and someone notices, or a loaner, or a newly acquired vehicle, or a service center upgrade, or an OTA update. So to note an "official" release day is a bit more difficult to do. Then there are the rumors of beta testers out there, too.

Yep, FlasherZ is correct. New software/firmware updates just start showing up pretty randomly, and someone notices, and takes pictures of the release notes, and people start complaining that they don't have the update yet. Other people usually start complaining about one of the new features, or how they think it broke something, etc. It is usually pretty entertaining...

Personally, I wish Tesla would publish release notes for each new version on their web site, so people could look at them in advance, before accepting the update and finding out about the changes afterwards.

New software/firmware updates just start showing up pretty randomly, and someone notices, and takes pictures of the release notes, and people start complaining that they don't have the update yet. Other people usually start complaining about one of the new features, or how they think it broke something, etc. It is usually pretty entertaining...

That's for sure ;-)

NPersonally, I wish Tesla would publish release notes for each new version on their web site, so people could look at them in advance, before accepting the update and finding out about the changes afterwards.

If you log on to your "My Tesla" page on the company website and scroll down to the Documents section there is a Software Updates tab which includes links to PDFs describing recent OTA updates. I believe it is the same information that shows up on the center display after an update is installed.

What I don't know is the timing of when those My Tesla PDFs appear. Do they only appear after your car has updated and not when the first car in the field is updated? I suspect so.

My guess; Beta testing August/Sept: General release October/November. I am certain on the months, just not year; 2014 or 1015. But, as others have posted it is entertaining to speculate, then commiserate/complain about lack of receiving or wishing that a certain feature was better or included. When I consider those issues I just remind myself when I drive my wife's SUV that things could be much worse.:wink:

What could they possibly add in 6.0 that would be huge? Lets talk about that.

Sure, they could open up the SDK to developers and keep stringent rules on the GUI, because I don't think they would want others to change it due to usability concerns. But beyond that I feel like there isn't much you can update in the car beyond what they have done, such as hill assist and creep. Maybe there are other things I am not thinking about?

What could they possibly add in 6.0 that would be huge? Lets talk about that.

Sure, they could open up the SDK to developers and keep stringent rules on the GUI, because I don't think they would want others to change it due to usability concerns. But beyond that I feel like there isn't much you can update in the car beyond what they have done, such as hill assist and creep. Maybe there are other things I am not thinking about?

It is late and my old brain at this time can think of two quick things; valet mode and even better 'nav' (there is talk of the Teslas being able to communicate traffic issues in real time and directing you to alternate routes)

It is late and my old brain at this time can think of two quick things; valet mode and even better 'nav' (there is talk of the Teslas being able to communicate traffic issues in real time and directing you to alternate routes)

Well there was rumor of Spotify as well, of which I have a subscription to so it would be GREAT if I could get that in the car itself and not have to leverage bluetooth. I would be beside myself with joy.