Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bicycle transport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bikes in MS 3.jpg

2adult and 1 kid's bikes

I've put bikes inside the trunk:
IMG_3678.jpg

And I've attached a 2-bike rack to the rear hatch, although I've only ever put 1 bike on it at a time:
IMG_3679.jpg

The adult bike fits fine inside the trunk with the seats folded down. I got two kids' bikes (16" and 20" wheels) into the trunk with the rear seats UP.

I went the Eco Hitch option and very happy with it

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/30861-Eco-Hitch-Install

I would however advise against the Thule you see in my shoot as it is big and obscures the rear camera.

I since switched to the "Thule Aero hitch" same as the one above.
Very light, easy to remove and does not obscure the camera as much.

Be aware if you are using Aero or any deep dish wheels it really hits the range more than regular road rims

I have a Whispbar setup with 2 Frontloader bike mounts. Got the bars / bike mounts through REI to get a discount and the mounting kit direct from manuf (as REI didn't stock).

The installation wasn't too bad, and I'm tall enough that hoisting bikes onto the roof isn't a problem.

There is definitely some noticeable additional noise at most any speed, so you may find yourself turning the stereo up another notch to drown it out.

The reduction in range with the rack attached and unloaded is minimal, but you'll definitely notice the difference with bikes attached and at freeway speeds.

We took a Supercharged road trip from Raleigh NC to STL and back (I think we visited 10 different chargers in the process), we were routinely over 400 Wh/mi if going over 70 mph.

Only SC where having bikes on the roof was an issue was in Normal IL, as that site is in a parking garage with limited height clearance. We unloaded the bikes in the bus depot at the main level and locked them up at a nearby rack, got lunch, then got verbally abused by some bus depot minion when loading up the bikes to get back on the road.

Overall, very pleased with the roof rack option versus the tailgate rack we have for wife's RAV4.

Have you tried just putting the rear seats down and stuffing the bikes in? It's not pretty, but it can be done if you pull the front wheels off the bikes and put them (the bike wheels) on top of the bikes.

With the rear seats folded down it should be pretty easy if you remove both wheels and get some mover's blankets from Harbor Freight Tools.
These puppies also come in handy: Pedros Chain Keeper w/Quick Release from BikeBling.com

My wife and I transport our tandem inside our Model S.