Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coeur d'Alene, ID (LIVE Feb 2015, 6 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first 8-ish pages of this thread are a mix of posts from three different threads about the Coeur d'Alene, ID Supercharger.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm supposed to be going over to silverwood in July for four days with my mom and 2 kids and if it was just me and hubby and kids I would do this trip with my girl in a heartbeat but my mom is already skeptical of the tesla (it took me you have no idea how many hours assuring her I could make it from issaquah to ellensburg supercharger and then from there to her house in mattawa) which I did and both stops I had like 175 miles at ellensburg and them getting to her place 220 miles left but she refused to go into tri cities and come back...."range anxiety" she drives a Merc and I don't want to have to fork over $ for gas when I could drive my girl over plus the tesla is more comfortable than her Merc

anyone over on that side with any updates would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm supposed to be going over to silverwood in July for four days with my mom and 2 kids and if it was just me and hubby and kids I would do this trip with my girl in a heartbeat but my mom is already skeptical of the tesla (it took me you have no idea how many hours assuring her I could make it from issaquah to ellensburg supercharger and then from there to her house in mattawa) which I did and both stops I had like 175 miles at ellensburg and them getting to her place 220 miles left but she refused to go into tri cities and come back...."range anxiety" she drives a Merc and I don't want to have to fork over $ for gas when I could drive my girl over plus the tesla is more comfortable than her Merc

anyone over on that side with any updates would be greatly appreciated!

No news on the Coeur D'Alene charger yet, but Ritzville to Silverwood is ~120 miles one way. Only 110 miles if you pick the right path.
They do have parking for RVs in Silverwood, but I don't know if they have NEMA 14-50 hookups. If you're going to be there for 4 days, 110V would be sufficient to make it easy to get back to Ritzville.

30 A (24 if a NEMA 10-30) is plenty. You would likely spend at least 6 hours at Silverwood, which would give back 108 miles range.

30A RV outlets in North America are only 120 V, which is slow: 24A*120V= 2.8 kW or about 8 mph. Also, I am not sure if the Model S can charge at the full 24A when only 120 volts are available, maybe the dual charger cars can.

GSP

30A RV outlets in North America are only 120 V, which is slow: 24A*120V= 2.8 kW or about 8 mph. Also, I am not sure if the Model S can charge at the full 24A when only 120 volts are available, maybe the dual charger cars can.

GSP

Should be fine. A single charger can handle 10 kW (40A on both 120V legs of a NEMA 14-50: 40A*120=4.8kW, 4.8*2=9.6kW), so 24A across one 120V leg should be no problem.

It looks like Coeur d'Alene, ID is close: Here is the link on the Tesla Website:

Coeur d'Alene Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Any thoughts? Anybody live close?

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 1.38.37 PM.png

It looks like Coeur d'Alene, ID is close: Here is the link on the Tesla Website:

Coeur d'Alene Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Any thoughts? Anybody live close?

That is the generic place holder web page that we have seen for all Superchargers on the "coming soon" map. Correlation with the "coming soon" locations and reality has been loose at best.

Love to hear of activity at Coeur d'Alene, but so far, it's just on the waiting list.

According to a Plugshare contributor "Sue" the GM of the Springhill Suites in Coeur d'Alene stated they were "in the running" for the CDA supercharger site.
SpringHill Suites | CDA, ID | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I wasn't able to find any electrical permits for that location yet though.

They already host a J1772 charger - this would be an additional option for the OP - but shouldn't be needed given the distance to the Ritzville SC.

One needs to build a special adapter for this, and then, at least when I did it last, my dual-charger-equipped car would only charge at 20A.
You can buy an adapter: NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter. I know this one works. One user reported that he sucessfully set his car to charge at 24A using this adapter. Because the car sees the NEMA 14-50 adapter that this adapter plugs into, I believe you could set the charge rate higher than 24A, but you should not exceed 80% of the adapter's 30A capability.

You can buy an adapter: NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter. I know this one works. One user reported that he sucessfully set his car to charge at 24A using this adapter. Because the car sees the NEMA 14-50 adapter that this adapter plugs into, I believe you could set the charge rate higher than 24A, but you should not exceed 80% of the adapter's 30A capability.

I don't think it's the adapter the car is looking at but rather the voltage. That's why I'm surprised that someone got 24A. Can you supply more info on this?

I don't think it's the adapter the car is looking at but rather the voltage. That's why I'm surprised that someone got 24A. Can you supply more info on this?

Take a look at the review on the page I linked: NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter

Here is the review, which you can see is quite recent:

thierrY on 2014-06-16
stars-5.png

Worked fine for me. I had no 20 amp limitation from my Tesla S. Set to 24 amps, I get a solid 14 km/h charge rate (8,75 miles/hours). http://mon.pq.org/depot/monpq_534f1f95de45d.jpg

Take a look at the review on the page I linked: NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter

Here is the review, which you can see is quite recent:

thierrY on 2014-06-16
stars-5.png

Worked fine for me. I had no 20 amp limitation from my Tesla S. Set to 24 amps, I get a solid 14 km/h charge rate (8,75 miles/hours). http://mon.pq.org/depot/monpq_534f1f95de45d.jpg

Not sure those numbers make sense. maybe 110V * 24A wished he had posted current and voltage. still a little skeptical of that review.

Last edited:
Not sure those numbers make sense. maybe 110V * 24A wished he had posted current and voltage. still a little skeptical of that review.
The numbers make sense to me.

120V * 24A = 2.88 kW

My NEMA 14-50 gives me 240V * 40A = 9.6 kW, a rate that is 3.33 times as fast.

3.33 * 8.75 miles/hour = 30 miles/hour, which is the rate I get with my NEMA 14-50.

I own this adapter and have used it, but not with a TT-30 outlet. I adapted it back down for use with a NEMA 5-20 outlet, and had no problem dialing the car's charge rate up to 16A. So I cannot say from personal experience whether the car would allow me to set the rate up to 24A when connected to a 30A outlet, but I can verify that I was not limited to 12A. I have no reason to doubt the review. Did you look at the picture he posted? It shows 8 mi/hour charging at 24A.

I have also looked repeatedly and unsuccessfully for a permit. I was told by a well-placed person at Tesla that this one would follow Billings, MT. It has been on the coming soon list a long time. Perhaps there have been some local complications. Hoping someone in the Coeur D'Alene area can find out something definite/encouraging!

Based on the Billings SC going in so soon (maybe I should put that in quotes...), it seems to me that the I90 route planning is pretty active. The 2014 map shows some pretty long runs on I90, though. Coeur d'Alene to Bozeman is 366 miles and there seems to only be one planned SC between them. Given the mountains, it's dicey for a 60. It looks to me like 2 are needed between Bozeman and Cd'A. Hope that's why they haven't shown up on the coming soon map.