Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Legislature Passed & Governor Signed HF2884

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hear Ye Hear Ye!

The state of Minnesota has a new law as of May 2014 that requires electric municipalities to offer discounted/off peak rates specifically for electric vehicle charging. The law goes into effect 60 days from when the bill was signed into law.

If you're interested in reading the law, click this link:
HF 2884 2nd Engrossment - 88th Legislature (2013 - 2014)

You can thank Fresh Energy for this new law. Fresh Energy is a non-profit that looks for ways to transform economic and environmental ideas into energy policies. If you feel passionate about how energy policies need to change, just like discounted electric rates for electric cars, please consider donating to their organization. Help them reach their $500.00 milestone. It's tax deductible and they accept any amount.

What we do | Fresh Energy

Great news. Any details on the price, minimums, or if you need to have another meter or other equipment installed? I looked around but could not find much beyond the link provided. The law should be in effect within a few weeks. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

The law takes effect in 2015, I had that detail wrong.

Great news. Any details on the price, minimums, or if you need to have another meter or other equipment installed? I looked around but could not find much beyond the link provided. The law should be in effect within a few weeks. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

From what I was told the details are being worked on by Xcel now.

My guess is they will offer a separate meter or provide an overall discount to your regular rate like they do for system saver. Currently Xcel offers off peak rates for car charging but it's hokie how they do it. You end up getting a rate around 3ish cents per/kW. But, it back fires if you use any electricity during the day as it's the same meter for the whole house. Plus, they end up charging more than the current non-peak rates for any electricity consumed during peak times.

- - - Updated - - -

The law doesn't set the prices, that is up to each utility as each utility has different requirements and needs.
Some already have it, others, such as Xcel should have it in place by the end of the year.

I've got a solar company coming to my house today to see about getting a system installed.

It SEEMS like this could all shake out really well. MN is going to have VOS (Value of Solar) in place soon, where the utility has to pay the real value of solar, considering all the negative externalities associated with fossil and nuclear.

Could it be that you can sell solar power to the utility for top price, VOS, during the day, and then get low cost renewable energy for the Tesla at night? Throw in the Made In Minnesota annual checks, the state and federal rebates, and it starts to look a win win win.