Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - DeFuniak Springs, FL (I-10 between Tallahassee & Pensacola)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated the thread title for those (like me) who had no idea where Defuniak Springs actually is; apologies to anyone who lives there!

Untitled.jpg

This is great news! My brother lives north of Birmingham, so if the northerly east-west routes aren't further along later this year, a quick charge in Montgomery will get us there! This will also be useful for the people that want to go see a SpaceX launch ;)

Interesting comment by the Tesla Representative:

What we are aiming to do is connect the nation’s highways with fast, free charging stations for our customers and, hopefully, someday for all future electric vehicle drivers,” Whiteman said. “Our CEO has gone on the record as saying that this technology that we are currently pursuing independently is likely going to be opened up to other automakers at no cost, so we are encouraging other automakers to get on board and adopt our plug so their drivers can use these (charging stations) too.

The casual reader may erroneously assume that other automakers will have free access to the Supercharger network, when what was actually stated is it will likely cost nothing to use the technology, i.e. no licensing fees to develop cars with Tesla plugs.

Larry

If anybody knows how to fix it, on the supercharge.info map, the "discuss" link needs to point to this thread. It currently has both the "web page" and "discuss" links pointing to the newspaper article (linked in the first post above).

No construction yet, but they are looking at an area on Baldwin Ave & 10th St. It's a bit further north than the area Larry posted and more towards the city proper. It seems at though they're still working the precise location aspect of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...1s0x8893d1bfab33ddd7:0x592d442adde9731c?hl=en

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the information.

There doesn't appear to be much in the way of amenities at that location. Google shows a vacant lot at that corner. Do you happen to know what is planned to be going in there?

Thanks.

Larry

According to Plugshare, it's pretty slim pickings there in PCB. There are three sites listed, but two are dealerships (thus possibly blocked after hours, and perhaps hostile to non-customers) and one may be for employees only.

You'd help the community out a lot if you could visit these three sites and DOCUMENT THEM IN PLUGSHARE, NOT JUST AS A COMMENT HERE. Post a checkin via the Plugshare app or website. If you post a photo to the listing, make sure at least one of the photos is from way back, to establish location context. Thanks!

According to Plugshare, it's pretty slim pickings there in PCB. There are three sites listed, but two are dealerships (thus possibly blocked after hours, and perhaps hostile to non-customers) and one may be for employees only.

You'd help the community out a lot if you could visit these three sites and DOCUMENT THEM IN PLUGSHARE, NOT JUST AS A COMMENT HERE. Post a checkin via the Plugshare app or website. If you post a photo to the listing, make sure at least one of the photos is from way back, to establish location context. Thanks!

I will definitely be updating PlugShare if I have taken delivery and am able to do the trip with the new car. I'm just disappointed that it appears so barren there.

Anyone know of charging spots in Panama City or Panama City Beach? This would be the nearest supercharger, once it is up and running.

There are some FL club members on the panhandle who have put their chargers on the FL Tesla Enthusiasts Charging Network, but I don't think there are any in Panama City. Click the link in the signature for more info about the club and the network.

Panama City Chargers

If the Lake City SC is operational by the end of August, I might make a run to visit my grandmother in Panama City over the Labor Day weekend. Hopefully will be able to charge off of her dryer plug in her garage. If I go, I'll check out the dealerships and other possible charging options and report back here.

This will definitely be my longest road trip in my P85, and my first time venturing into a long range situation without a supercharger at or near the destination. The biggest priority will be getting a full charge before leaving to head back to the Lake City supercharger. It is 210 miles from my grandmother's house to the Lake City location. Not worried about the range on my battery, but instead getting enough charge in my battery to get there.

Worst case scenario would be a stop in Tallahassee to top off during lunch. I believe there is a Florida User Group member in Tallahassee with a HPWC at his home.

Could be interesting!

I just drove from new Orleans to Tampa. I charged at the Nissan dealer in Marianna and made it in one shot to the Nissan dealer in Ocala (250 miles). Nissan Marianna charge was only 18 mph I stayed in a hotel overnight while charging.

If the Lake City SC is operational by the end of August, I might make a run to visit my grandmother in Panama City over the Labor Day weekend. Hopefully will be able to charge off of her dryer plug in her garage. If I go, I'll check out the dealerships and other possible charging options and report back here.

This will definitely be my longest road trip in my P85, and my first time venturing into a long range situation without a supercharger at or near the destination. The biggest priority will be getting a full charge before leaving to head back to the Lake City supercharger. It is 210 miles from my grandmother's house to the Lake City location. Not worried about the range on my battery, but instead getting enough charge in my battery to get there.

Worst case scenario would be a stop in Tallahassee to top off during lunch. I believe there is a Florida User Group member in Tallahassee with a HPWC at his home.

Could be interesting!

I've been to Panama City twice now, driving up 19 to Tallahassee, charging at Kraft Nissan on the east side of town and then making to to PCB, where we have a condo. There is a new solar charging station at Gulf Coast State College on campus, J1772, that the professors were excited that I brought my Tesla by to charge there. I actually didn't need a charge, but they wanted to see if it worked. It did, but only 10-12 miles per hr. My daughter used to work there, so I had connections. I encouraged them to advertise it on Plug Share, but they have to get it approved by their Board, yada-yada.

I'm also petitioning my condo, Moonspinner, on the east end of the beach, next to the St Marks State Park, to put a destination charger in for their EV guests. It would be the first one on the beach, I think. They were very intrigued as I presented it at their last board meeting. This area of the state is very backward, so it may take a while to catch them up. But I'm doing all I can!

Is it true there will not be a SC in Tallahassee?!? It seems like such a logical place for one.

If the Lake City SC is operational by the end of August, I might make a run to visit my grandmother in Panama City over the Labor Day weekend.

Is it true there will not be a SC in Tallahassee?!? It seems like such a logical place for one.

Hi Bev,

The Lake City Supercharger Station is operational.

With regard to a Supercharger Station in Tallahassee, please refer to the excerpt of the Tesla interactive map below.

Superchargers thru 2015.jpg

This map shows the currently planned Supercharger Stations through 2015. This suggests that there won't be one for Tallahassee within the 2015 planning horizon. However, the distance between the planned DeFuniak Springs Station and the now operational Lake City Station is excessively long at over 220 miles. As you say Tallahassee would be the logical place to place a Supercharger Station to split the distance.

Being an optimist I would say that eventually we will see a new Tallahassee dot pop up on the map. Hopefully, before the end of 2015.

Larry