Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boulder, CO New Owner - CO Club, Winter Recs, Charging Installation, Vail, Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks!

I am taking delivery of my second Model S in 10 days. Only had the first one 3 days because delivery fell in the middle of a transition and I had to flip it! Questions, some of which may be addressed elsewhere, and forum links appreciated!

- Charging Installation in Boulder: Anyone upgrade their service to 320 amps? Feedback on installation? I have 100amp twin charger.
- CO Club: I've seen some events. Is there a Boulder club yet? CO club? If no Boulder club, I'd like to help start one!
- Winter Recommendations for tires / wheels? I am wondering if I can reliably use this for Vail RT all winter? Saw Kimball's post, any further updates? And I've seen some charging specs for Vail parking lot, any further comments?
- Latest / best bike / roof rack solution? I don't have the panoramic roof option.

Thanks all!
Josh

- - - Updated - - -

Hitch: Anyone in Boulder have the Torklift installed?

Attachments

• order.JPG
    order.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 368
Anyone upgrade their service to 320 amps? Feedback on installation?
I upgraded to 400A service about 4 or 5 years ago in anticipation of a new shop/barn, solar and EV's. Had 200A service prior. Xcel's underground lines were at the end of their lifespan, so when they decided to replace I was able to move the transformer pad and service entrance location at no cost other than that accociated with the changes needed at the house. The garage only has 50A, but when I added solar to the garage last year I had to dig a trench over to install a dedicated PV circuit, and with an open trench I decided to bring out additional power to the garage and to the farm irrigation pump. I'm in the process of bringing over 200A for the EV's. I currently charge at 30A which is fine for my needs, but I can't charge both EV's at once or run my big air compressor when the S is charging. I still haven't decided whether I will shell out for the HPWC or not, once sufficient power becomes available.

No official Boulder Club that I'm aware of, but SteveZ organized a meetup that I missed (didn't see the notice in time). I'm sure they are planning something in the future...hopefully with a bit more advance notice.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, sir!
I just use a 14-50 in my garage, but Cotton has been improving the network for off the beaten path. Re: Vail, I believe you will be able to take advantage of the Silverthorne supercharger either to or from and be fine.
Re: winter tires, there are lots of opinions that you can search for on the forums. Since you and I live on the front range where we need cold weather tire, but not multi-month snow tires, I just have the winter Pirelli package offered OEM. I find they are a very high quality winter performance tire. I have snow chains but have not needed them even driving to ski over the last two winters.

As it happens I'll be passing through the Boulder area for probably a night stay, and I just had the Torklift installed a couple of weeks ago at the beginning of our trip. I'd be happy to meet up for coffee somewhere if you want to see it. Our tentative date in Boulder is June 29 overnight and probably staying a full day, but that might change by a day to two if we end up staying longer or shorter somewhere else on the way. PM me your email (or texting ph#) if you're interested.

PS. congrats on #2!!!