Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing before or after ordering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just applied at DCU this morning, however I am curious what most have done regarding their loan. If you did finance prior to ordering did your rates change before delivery?

Most banks only have approvals that last 30 days, so you don't want to apply for the loan officially (i.e. run credit) until you are within your 30 day delivery window. Technically you could probably take the loan out once you have a VIN, but that could be risky if your VIN changes, but not necessarily a bad thing if you want to start paying it down.

I applied for the loan 27 days away from delivery and closed on it yesterday (5 days before delivery). But this means I had to bind my insurance as of that day too. A few days in advance seems like a good thing, I'm not worried about the money or insurance side of anything going into delivery, all paperwork is done I just need to sign a few things for the title/registration and then its all about the car.