Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Signature and First Production Delivery in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
So we know that Ian is Signature #1 and confirmed his order on June 4th.
Based on the Model S Delivery update thread it seems to take between 5 to 6 weeks to enter production. (July 9)
3 days in production (July 12)
2 days testing and shipping to port (July 14)
20 days at sea (August 3)
7 days prep at Tesla Sydney\Melbourne (August 10)
7 days contingency (August 17)
So by the above calculations the big Tesla launch in Australia should happen middle August.
The UK launch was on a Saturday but it takes longer for Elon or JB or another Tesla Exec to fly to Australia so probably a Sunday instead?
So I'm placing my bet and clearing my schedule on Sunday August 17, 2014.
OK below you can start telling me how I'm wrong. :scared:

As to the first production delivery, is anyone on the forum Australian Production #1?

So we know that Ian is Signature #1 and confirmed his order on June 4th.
Based on the Model S Delivery update thread it seems to take between 5 to 6 weeks to enter production. (July 9)
3 days in production (July 12)
2 days testing and shipping to port (July 14)
20 days at sea (August 3)
7 days prep at Tesla Sydney\Melbourne (August 10)
7 days contingency (August 17)
So by the above calculations the big Tesla launch in Australia should happen middle August.
The UK launch was on a Saturday but it takes longer for Elon or JB or another Tesla Exec to fly to Australia so probably a Sunday instead?
So I'm placing my bet and clearing my schedule on Sunday August 17, 2014.
OK below you can start telling me how I'm wrong. :scared:

As to the first production delivery, is anyone on the forum Australian Production #1?

I would say end August or early September. 20 days at sea is not enough - you need to factor in 3-4 days leadtime at LA port and another 3-4 days clearance here in Australia. Also 3 days in production seems a bit short. It may take 3 days to produce a car, but they will need to produce enough cars to fill many full container loads and get good rates on shipping.

I believe the transit time to Australia is around 15 days. That is, IF it comes here direct. A vessel needs to be booked well in advance, especially if you are looking at taking up a fair amount of space. My guess is that space has already been booked for the sigs. The Production's will probably start arriving in September/October. I do think the Sigs will be a lot earlier and i sincerely hope that they will be here BEFORE end July. If not then, then AFTER 18th August! My reason is totally selfish. I will be away from Australia between 5 th and 18th August!! I REALLY want to be at the launch event. Otherwise clearance times at both ends is probably correct, except that, the whole point of Australian design rule certification means that they just whistle through Customs. Particularly since they are a "dealer" import. That may speed up the process. If they come out on a car carrier then no containers involved - those are RORO ships (roll on roll off). Not sure which port is used for vehicles from the USA - San Fran or LA (will try to find out). Given that the current service centre can accommodate 1 or possibly two cars only, they will want to deliver as soon as possible to minimise storage fees. Yes, they are looking for new premises, but they seem a litre way off. They do have the additional requirement of high electricity draw, so not every industrial estate will be able to accommodate them. Any new lease will also need to give immediate occupancy. Some of my comment is based on experience shipping a boat over from Taiwan, and some since my father was a clearing, forwarding and shipping agent.

It turns out that cars are shipped from Long Beach, LA. I can't see them flying any cars out here, even though the existing vehicle probably came out that way.

Last edited:
I took a factory tour last week. They clearly said that cars going overseas (literally over the water) are put in containers. They had queues for the completed cars labeled "Tilburg", "Drammen", "Honolulu". Strangely, even though cars had been delivered to China, there was no visible queue for any Asian markets.

I believe the transit time to Australia is around 15 days. That is, IF it comes here direct. A vessel needs to be booked well in advance, especially if you are looking at taking up a fair amount of space. My guess is that space has already been booked for the sigs. The Production's will probably start arriving in September/October. I do think the Sigs will be a lot earlier and i sincerely hope that they will be here BEFORE end July. If not then, then AFTER 18th August! My reason is totally selfish. I will be away from Australia between 5 th and 18th August!! I REALLY want to be at the launch event. Otherwise clearance times at both ends is probably correct, except that, the whole point of Australian design rule certification means that they just whistle through Customs. Particularly since they are a "dealer" import. That may speed up the process. If they come out on a car carrier then no containers involved - those are RORO ships (roll on roll off). Not sure which port is used for vehicles from the USA - San Fran or LA (will try to find out). Given that the current service centre can accommodate 1 or possibly two cars only, they will want to deliver as soon as possible to minimise storage fees. Yes, they are looking for new premises, but they seem a litre way off. They do have the additional requirement of high electricity draw, so not every industrial estate will be able to accommodate them. Any new lease will also need to give immediate occupancy. Some of my comment is based on experience shipping a boat over from Taiwan, and some since my father was a clearing, forwarding and shipping agent.

It turns out that cars are shipped from Long Beach, LA. I can't see them flying any cars out here, even though the existing vehicle probably came out that way.

I think it would tough to bet on end July, given that they would need to enter production now, given the retooling that's coming up? I think both production cars and sigs will be manufactured close to each other.

Not to start drama here, but I didn't know they were still doing the sig program this late in the game. Can anyone speak to what the sig package consists of now? Pricing and options? Might be indicative of what the X owners may get.

Not to start drama here, but I didn't know they were still doing the sig program this late in the game. Can anyone speak to what the sig package consists of now? Pricing and options? Might be indicative of what the X owners may get.

The only options were the pano roof and subzero package. Everything else was standard. Choose any wheel any colour. Any decor. Standard was carbon fibre. Price was up there though. About 137000 before all the taxes. Took mine to 163 in NSW. We early adopters will be getting 2500 off the base price thus an overall reduction of 3750 including taxes. I ordered the S85.

I would expect the launch event to be stocked with 3-4 Sigs that have been airfreighted in around a month before the other Sigs arrive. Otherwise, those estimates appear sane, although they don't include the factory shutdown and any issues that may occur around that.

I have a theory that production will start shortly. They always have a rush to get orders out for the end of quarter. Now that it is too late to manufacture us cars for this quarter in the us, the first HK sigs are now 'in production'. Maybe Au sigs are next. Make Aussie cars early in the quarter, so they are delivered within the next quarter.

It's actually more along the lines of 6-7k each, which is quite affordable for a multi-billion dollar company. But, it all comes down to the message they want to portray to us: if they air-freight them out, it means we may feel there is more progress even though our cars are still weeks/months out.

It's actually more along the lines of 6-7k each, which is quite affordable for a multi-billion dollar company. But, it all comes down to the message they want to portray to us: if they air-freight them out, it means we may feel there is more progress even though our cars are still weeks/months out.

**** I was right the first time, when I had it quoted it was 25k - sigh late nights :) Even if it's affordable for a company like Tesla, I've never really known any businesses to spend more than they have to when it doesn't get them any benefit. Yes it would send a very positive message, but everyone has confirmed, and there will be less than a month's difference between the two methods. What's the incentive?

**** I was right the first time, when I had it quoted it was 25k - sigh late nights :) Even if it's affordable for a company like Tesla, I've never really known any businesses to spend more than they have to when it doesn't get them any benefit. Yes it would send a very positive message, but everyone has confirmed, and there will be less than a month's difference between the two methods. What's the incentive?

More orders? We have no idea whether Tesla are happy or not with the current number of sales. Hopefully they are happy!

Unlike the UK our cars cannot be all driven back to the home cities from a single point. The Sigs in the confirmed TMC list are skewed toward Sydney, with four there and also one within driving range in Canberra, but there are certainly many more Sigs around with owners not in TMC, so I would think there are easily enough to fly a few sigs over to Sydney and possibly Melbourne and WA for an opening day ceremony joined by a TV link. Does anyone remember the highest Sig reservation number so far?