Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor efficiency - break in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few thousand km on my Model S, it seems that my range has improved a bit. I have no data or expertise to back this up, but it really seems as though my efficiency has improved. My kWh/km continues to slowly trend down. Is there any chance that the motor has been broken in a bit and increased it's efficiency, or perhaps the gains are all from more efficient driving and slower speeds. Any input?

I never heard of a break in time for electric motors. The design doesn't suggest that either.
Maybe it's increasing temperatures? A less wet road can make a noticeable difference. Maybe you are getting more used to the car. I remember it took me a while to get used to driving with regenerative braking.

After a few thousand km on my Model S, it seems that my range has improved a bit. I have no data or expertise to back this up, but it really seems as though my efficiency has improved. My kWh/km continues to slowly trend down. Is there any chance that the motor has been broken in a bit and increased it's efficiency, or perhaps the gains are all from more efficient driving and slower speeds. Any input?

I asked the same question when we first took delivery and DS told us we can drive our P85+ hard immediately.