Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

planning a trip....elevation changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'd like to take my S from Glen Allen VA....to Smith Mtn Lake. The shortest route is about 150 miles, which is fine.....but it is definitely up and down some hilly areas, and involves a good amount of stop lights for the first hour or so. I know those factors can hamper mileage pretty quick, so I'm wondering how much range loss I should be looking for as a result.

I've heard folks talk about ev trip planner, but every time I've tried to use it,,,it just spins around calculating indefinitely. I tried to plug in a much shorter route, just across town, to see if it was getting hung up on the longer trip....but still no luck.

I'd have the wife and 2 kids under 5 in the car,,,,and most of the trip is through the middle of nowhere, so running out of juice would be a problem.

Does anyone use ev trip panner? Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong. Or is there a better site/calculator that I should try?
Thanks.

I was curious so plugged in your destination. It worked fine for me; directs you on 64 to 29 (190 miles) so you'd need to enter waypoints to get the route you want. Listed as 208 miles rated miles (62.4 kWh). You won't have a problem assuming you have charging at destination.

Don't know why the site isn't working for you; perhaps try a different browser.

So I'd like to take my S from Glen Allen VA....to Smith Mtn Lake. The shortest route is about 150 miles, which is fine.....but it is definitely up and down some hilly areas, and involves a good amount of stop lights for the first hour or so. I know those factors can hamper mileage pretty quick, so I'm wondering how much range loss I should be looking for as a result.

This is an easier version of the trip I did earlier this year: Roanoke Green Car Show March 29 2014

I range charged and went straight to Virginia Tech using Route 60. If you can plug into 110V 12A at where you are staying, it's an easy trip. Presumably you are staying for a bit, say 16+ hours. You'll pick up about 50 miles of rated range. Just keep your speed in check and you'll be fine. If you run into trouble, look up Plug Me In - he has a 14-50 in Lynchburg. I didn't end up needing it because I was able to find a functioning L2 charger overnight.

It is a charging desert otherwise for L2.

I was curious so plugged in your destination. It worked fine for me; directs you on 64 to 29 (190 miles) so you'd need to enter waypoints to get the route you want. Listed as 208 miles rated miles (62.4 kWh). You won't have a problem assuming you have charging at destination.

Don't know why the site isn't working for you; perhaps try a different browser.

Thanks JohnQ.....yes that is our normal route using the ICE. Using the exact address(on the east side of the lake) Mapquest shows me about 164 miles on that route. There is another route we tried a few weeks ago, which take rte 60 directly west (not NW on 64, then back SW on 29)...which cuts about 20 miles off of the trip. It also cuts about 5 minutes. Lower miles, slower speed....all good things.
Thanks again.
I'll try another browser and play around with it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an easier version of the trip I did earlier this year: Roanoke Green Car Show March 29 2014

I range charged and went straight to Virginia Tech using Route 60. If you can plug into 110V 12A at where you are staying, it's an easy trip. Presumably you are staying for a bit, say 16+ hours. You'll pick up about 50 miles of rated range. Just keep your speed in check and you'll be fine. If you run into trouble, look up Plug Me In - he has a 14-50 in Lynchburg. I didn't end up needing it because I was able to find a functioning L2 charger overnight.

It is a charging desert otherwise for L2.

Techmaven, Good to know you make it all the way to Blacksburg.
How did you end up charging at Kroger? Was there an outlet off of one of the lights in the parking lot? How did you get a plug there with enough juice to fully charge overnight? Did you have some sort of special adapter with you, I assume?
These are the 'in the wild' scenarios that I think of all the time....and love to hear how others get their charge!

I'm picking up my S85 in a later this month...and I'm still trying to figure out my adapter/extension cord situation for trips. The Smith Mtn Lake house has a 10-30 old dryer plug,,,but I'll need the adapter, and extension cord to make it happen.
If that fails, I can slow charge since we'll be there at least 2 days.
Also there is an RV campground around the corner, which offers free 30 amp charging.....but quite frankly I have no idea what kind of adapter that requires.

Sorry for the plethora of NOOB charging questions!

If you are not sure about the set up where you are going, I would also recommend getting a 5-20 adapter from Tesla. This allows you to charge a good bit faster on a "regular" wall outlet. I also bought an adapter off Amazon that allows you to cheat and draw more current off a standard 5-15 outlet. I have found that many circuits are on 20 amp breakers but 5-15 outlets instead of 5-20's. Of course, if you're not confident of the soundness of the wiring for the circuit you don't want to overheat things but I have had no issues.

Amazon.com : Conntek 30129 15-Amp to 20-Amp Plug Adapter, 20-Amp Socket to 15-Amp U.S 3 Prong Plug : Generator Cord Sets And Plugs : Patio, Lawn Garden

Elevation changes won't affect you that much except maybe when you're burning at 70 mph Richmond to Cville. I usually average 315-320 going 65-68 mph along US 29 from Cville to Lynchburg. Hwy 360 to 460 might take a few minutes longer but will save a little juice. Call me from Plugshare (Lynchburg Tesla) or PM if you need a charge in Lynchburg.

I made an adapter to use my Mom's 10-30 dryer outlet using a 6 foot dryer plug/cord and a 14-50 outlet. It works really
well for me and might do the trick if your outlet at SML is within 20 odd feet of your car.

Edit: On reflection you will experience some range loss between RVA and Lynchburg. I went to Richmond this time last year for the raceway meetup, got about 300 wH/mile on the way there, but had some serious range anxiety coming home. Due to a charger problem I had only about 143 ish miles rated when I left. It was a little rainy but not bad. I slowed down (never below 55) when things were looking tight but made it home (126 miles) with 8 or 9 miles rated left. Still not that bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, plugmein. 64 to 29 to 460 is the normal rt....but looking to switch it up to take 60 out of richmond. It's about 20 miles shorter...with slower speed. We took the ice on that route last time as a test run...and it was comparable time wise.
Speaking of the 10-30, I was hoping I could plug into that as well. There is a previously used, now unused 10-30,(laundry room was repurposed) on the front a front room in the house.
anyone know if electricians would generally kill the juice to an old outlet like this? Or would it typically still be live?

if that outlet is dead...or I'm just short of being able to reach it...I could charge via the 5-15.
again though, the place is old....would I typically get less charge out of that kind of outlet....like maybe 2 mph...rather than 3ish?

We'll be there 2 nights...but if that backup charge is only 2 mph...then I may have a problem getting enough juice to get the fam back home.

So remodeled room kills juice to 10-30, or typically left live?
old place in the boonies charges slower via 5-15?

thanks again!