Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming from a 2013 M5...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all... Finally took the plunge and ordered the Model S. All the stars aligned, solar panels at home, wife loving the Model S test drive and sick of paying at the pump. The boss (wife) said go for it.

I couldn't test drive the P85+ and was wondering how much better it is with the performance plus package? I ordered it in hopes it will help it be close to the M5 in terms of handling. Anyone else here driven both?

Thanks for all the great posts and information... It's really helped us finally make the switch.

I think you'll be happy with it. I haven't driven an M5, but I owned an E46 M3 for 4 years. The Tesla has much the same feel, although obviously larger than an M3. But it has the same planted, stable, feel. I have the P85+ and test drove a P85. In comparison the plus is just a bit tighter and more precise. Better steering feel. The plus is still a comfortable car, even on bad roads.

I have the P85 but in my experience the only differce that I could tell was the noise. The P+ was quite a but louder road noise wise from the 21" wheels but I couldn't really tell that much of a difference in huge way the car handles. I have 19" primacys on my car and can still take corners in the same planted fashion that I was able to in the + loaner. Just my 2 cents. Don't get me wrong both are. Fantastic cars. My husband commented if $ wasn't an issue he'd have the same car just with the larger wheels.

E60 M5 was my daily driver until my P85+ arrived in September. I had driven the P85 non-plus version and glad I got the P85+. Definitely less 'wallowing' around the curves than the non-plus version. Overall compared to the M5, the P85+ is a little larger, a little heavier, and a lot quicker. Wouldn't go back if you paid me...

We also had an M5 (and a couple AMGs) prior to our Model S. I would really insist you find a P85+ and drive it. It handles noticeably better than P85.

Yes AMN, the P85 was a great test drive and if it only gets better with the PLUS then why not. Mine was ordered with the plus package and from what you are all saying here I will not be disappointed.

I think the the only thing the German's have left over Tesla now is the whole European Delivery... Touring Europe with your brand new car is a little different then visiting Fremont and taking the I-5 home. Although Harris Ranch makes a mean burger.

Yes AMN, the P85 was a great test drive and if it only gets better with the PLUS then why not. Mine was ordered with the plus package and from what you are all saying here I will not be disappointed.

I think the the only thing the German's have left over Tesla now is the whole European Delivery... Touring Europe with your brand new car is a little different then visiting Fremont and taking the I-5 home. Although Harris Ranch makes a mean burger.

You're just going the wrong direction, that's the problem. once we get a Supercharger on 101 north of SF it will be a different story.
I-5 is boooring! tour norcal (not between LA and SF! tis not norcal) and we have really good burgers not mean ones like HR ;> poor cows

agree with the wider rears, necessary with the low end torque and weight of the car

I would decisively vote for P85+. When I was ordering my car, there were no "+" cars available for test drive. So I ordered "+" without even driving it. I did test drive P85 and concluded that suspension setup is really mismatched with the vast amount of power/torque that was available from the powertrain. So I took a leap of faith and ordered P85+. It did not disappoint...

Just to note, I am coming from Infiniti G35, not M5. I would say that anybody coming from M5 and loving it, should get P85+ in order to avoid serious disappointment. I guess the analogy of P85 vs. P85+ would be BMW 550 vs. M5.

I've driven both extensively (had an F10 M5 for a few months) and have a P85+ now. Its a great car, but don't expect it to be an involving as the M5. The body control is better in an M5. Also, don't expect to drive it hard for an extended period of time (there's discussion of this in the Nurburgring lap thread). As an everyday point and shoot, accelerate very fast from a stop on slow US streets its fine. If you really enjoy stop like drags to ~60mph its great. It can't be used at the track, for extended canyon sessions or at high speed for an extended time like an M5. The interior and features, build quality, audio etc. don't match modern BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. In short, if we did not need a sedan with carpool lane access for the 405, I prefer the M5 or an E63. So it depends on what makes you happy about at high performance sedan.

Luckily I still have my M3, M6 and a few other fun ICE cars to keep me entertained.

I have a BMW 2000 540iA sport and a Mercedes 2003 SLK32 AMG. I did drive the P+ and liked it but my problem is the 21 inch wheels. I live in Michigan and the roads are not too good. Rough and potholes. I'm sure 19's would work well but I'd lose $ on the 21's if I'd sell or not use, and don't know if I stuck with the 19's that it is worth getting the P+ vs the non P due to the downsized wheels.

@ jbruce Yes I agree with you completely and I knew that going into the purchase. I had an E92 M3 before as well that I had taken to Willow Springs a couple times but never felt comfortable taking the M5 on the track... just couldn't imagine causing harm to such an expensive beautiful car. Like you I will be driving my MS on the 405 carpool lane every day and shocking people as I floor it at a red light. My neighbor who has an E63 (man they nailed the exhaust on that car perfectly) is a little shocked I am going to the MS but he hasn't driven one yet. Hopefully I can make him into a believer as well. The interior as you mentioned was the only underwhelming thing about my test drive. Yes the center console is awesome but not sure I like the minimalist approach to the entire interior.

@ jbruce Yes I agree with you completely and I knew that going into the purchase. I had an E92 M3 before as well that I had taken to Willow Springs a couple times but never felt comfortable taking the M5 on the track... just couldn't imagine causing harm to such an expensive beautiful car. Like you I will be driving my MS on the 405 carpool lane every day and shocking people as I floor it at a red light. My neighbor who has an E63 (man they nailed the exhaust on that car perfectly) is a little shocked I am going to the MS but he hasn't driven one yet. Hopefully I can make him into a believer as well. The interior as you mentioned was the only underwhelming thing about my test drive. Yes the center console is awesome but not sure I like the minimalist approach to the entire interior.

In this case it will likely suit your needs. Too bad you never took the M5 to the track. Its heavy but quite well balanced and fun. The real solution is to get something like an older E36 or E46 M3 for a fun / track car and the MS for the commute. That setup keeps me happy until they can make a track capable MS:)

I've owned last three Gen's of M5 (with a couple of M6 in between). I have also owned 911's, Panemera's, and AMG's. Currently I own a '14 P85 with air suspension. Had 21" on it but switched to 22" but going back to 21" forged monoblocks which will save me about 30% per rim of rotational wight while still running on 245/285 f/r tires. Being in SoCal (great roads and very little worrisome weather here) and liking to push my cars I would confess: I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE P+... I'm going to try to remedy the less than preferred feel/handling of the car (vs. M5) by trying to change up to P+ caliber bushings and other suspension parts...as unfortunately Tesla wants $20k+ to upgrade me to factory P+. So my vote: (for you, a previous M5 guys) P+ all the way and nothing but. P.S.: for us guys With M5 taste, there's no real ride compromise with the 21" rims.