Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLEASE DON'T HATE ME! - I work for BIG oil but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made the plunge and ordered a P85+ last week and I can't wait. My wife thought I was nuts for considering giving up the 2013 BMW F10 M5... all it took was a test drive and she was hooked. I will admit the silent hum will take a little getting used to compared to the the nice sound of exhaust (even if it was piped in through the stereo speakers :wink:)

Like I said I work for the producers in the LA Basin and I can't wait to hear the comments when I show up to work. I will have the saving grace of my Ford F-250 Super Duty Diesel when I do have to go out into the field... that is until Tesla makes a truck.

I test drove a P85 and opted for the plus package in hopes it would be a little closer to the M5 in terms of handling. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the difference by getting the plus package? While I am sure it won't be quite up to the M5 in handling characteristics the instant torque and driving by the gas station makes it all okay. Plus don't tell anyone but I do have solar at home and can't wait to fuel up the Model S with my surplus.

Simply put... I can't wait!

I attached a picture of the current gas guzzling family! She will be missed but she will find a new home.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

There are two ways to deal with anti-EV folks.

One is to say that the Tesla is not an EV. Well, at least, not like what people think of when they think EV. It isn't stuck with an 80 mile range. It doesn't drive like a Ford Fiesta. And it can do cross country trips comfortably.

The other thing you can say is that the Tesla is the best car in the world that just happens to be electric. It is electric without any of electric's faults, and with all their benefits in spades (fast acceleration, huge instant torque, always full every morning, no gas stations, less maintenance, incredible user interface, etc.)

Have fun being an evangelist! Hope you don't end up like that other guy about 2,000 years ago :)

You have solar at your house and now an electric car. I'm envious of the solar as nobody here in TX will install a system for me. But I'm curious why you work for an oil company? I work in the energy industry but more with natural gas powered turbines. That's still fossil fuel, but not near as bad as oil. A colleague of mine went to work for Chevron recently, but I don't think I could do it. Even for the great pay and benefits. Oil is killing the atmosphere and oceans. I know we can't live without it right now, but I sure can't wait for the day when we can. It may come sooner than people think, too, if battery technology takes some major leaps forward.

Good for you, I think right now there is just lots of misinformation out there about electric cars and I hope you can put the word out to more of your coworkers about the future. Also you will not miss any of your other cars once you start driving the Tesla. I never thought I would get rid of my Jaguars which I have been driving since 1970, but do not miss them at all. Enjoy!

Good point. Made in the USA goes a long way.

And remember the Model S runs on 100% American made fuel. Even last year 51% of our oil consumption was imported.

- - - Updated - - -

You have solar at your house and now an electric car. I'm envious of the solar as nobody here in TX will install a system for me. But I'm curious why you work for an oil company? I work in the energy industry but more with natural gas powered turbines. That's still fossil fuel, but not near as bad as oil. A colleague of mine went to work for Chevron recently, but I don't think I could do it. Even for the great pay and benefits. Oil is killing the atmosphere and oceans. I know we can't live without it right now, but I sure can't wait for the day when we can. It may come sooner than people think, too, if battery technology takes some major leaps forward.

Give the guy a break. We NEED oil for at least 25 years and likely longer. Imagine what would happen in this country if we go cold turkey on oil as everything including food production and transportation would stop. I fully believe we need to get off oil but it will take time to replace the 250 million vehicles on the road.

Even though I drive a Tesla and have solar I still need the gas car (a Prius) to visit family or go on any trip.

In my defense I work more on the environmental side of things which this whacky state I live in loves. I enjoy my work as it puts food on the table and well lets me afford a 100k vehicle.

I don't think oil is going anywhere soon... But yes we can get the word out and show people there is an alternative. I'm also for using the oil we have here locally rather then fund the guys overseas that like to cause America harm or help the Saudi Prince buy his double decker A380 Airbus.

Didn't want this post to get political... I am excited to be able to change and show others they can too.

My only major gripe is the attitude of the owners of mostly the compact EVs walking with their chins up in the air and stating how they are saving the world... We do all realize where most of the electricity comes from in this country still... And it isn't that clean but definitely getting better.

I got pennies on the dollar from Edison for my surplus solar energy created over the last 12 months and now I can use it to thoroughly enjoy my drive!

Give the guy a break. We NEED oil for at least 25 years and likely longer. Imagine what would happen in this country if we go cold turkey on oil as everything including food production and transportation would stop.

I am invested in Solazyme which is producing oil from feedstock like sugar cane using algae, basically going through a fermentation process. They are working on commercial scale up volumes and targeting high end oils, like food, cosmetics, specialty lubricants and the like. That way, we don't need to drill for oil to get the essential oils we will still need.

Give the guy a break. We NEED oil for at least 25 years and likely longer. Imagine what would happen in this country if we go cold turkey on oil as everything including food production and transportation would stop. I fully believe we need to get off oil but it will take time to replace the 250 million vehicles on the road.

Even though I drive a Tesla and have solar I still need the gas car (a Prius) to visit family or go on any trip.

Agree, we still need oil. I wasn't attacking. For someone to have solar on their house and spend a lot of money on an electric car when the car-maker has a 50% chance of going belly up in the next 10 years, while working for an oil company, he had to have an interesting perspective and that's all I wanted. He answered my curiosity when he said he works on the environmental side of things. If he'd been out there digging new wells I just couldn't fathom it. That said, I bet there is someone out there doing just that.

Are you in the Tri-Cities, TN? I'm going up to Piney Flats next week (flying, since the superchargers aren't yet strung from Houston to TN) and would love to see a Model S cruising around.

Agree, we still need oil. I wasn't attacking. For someone to have solar on their house and spend a lot of money on an electric car when the car-maker has a 50% chance of going belly up in the next 10 years, while working for an oil company, he had to have an interesting perspective and that's all I wanted. He answered my curiosity when he said he works on the environmental side of things. If he'd been out there digging new wells I just couldn't fathom it. That said, I bet there is someone out there doing just that.

Are you in the Tri-Cities, TN? I'm going up to Piney Flats next week (flying, since the superchargers aren't yet strung from Houston to TN) and would love to see a Model S cruising around.
Can you explain to me your comment on nobody will install solar on your house.

I made the plunge and ordered a P85+ last week and I can't wait. My wife thought I was nuts for considering giving up the 2013 BMW F10 M5... all it took was a test drive and she was hooked. I will admit the silent hum will take a little getting used to compared to the the nice sound of exhaust (even if it was piped in through the stereo speakers :wink:)

Like I said I work for the producers in the LA Basin and I can't wait to hear the comments when I show up to work. I will have the saving grace of my Ford F-250 Super Duty Diesel when I do have to go out into the field... that is until Tesla makes a truck.

I test drove a P85 and opted for the plus package in hopes it would be a little closer to the M5 in terms of handling. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the difference by getting the plus package? While I am sure it won't be quite up to the M5 in handling characteristics the instant torque and driving by the gas station makes it all okay. Plus don't tell anyone but I do have solar at home and can't wait to fuel up the Model S with my surplus.

Simply put... I can't wait!

Congrats! Welcome to the Tesla family.